Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 12:16

Default Restaurant Review September 16th-23rd

As we enjoyed PP so much in July, as we always do, we decided to go again in September.
Arrived in PP at 14.00 Thursday 16th September. Warmer than I expected. Knackered after being up since 03.00am. Unpacked and then off to Los Pescadores to book a table for that night. Maria, the owner, remembered us from July and gave us both a big hug and a kiss.
Then off to Spar for the necesseties – whisky, wine, San Miguel etc. Oh, and some boring stuff like bread, milk, water, etc.

1. Thursday. Los Pescadores. 63 Euros.
We had a balcony table over-looking the bay. Warm night, waves lapping the sand, kids playing, great atmosphere. This must be the safest place for kids on the whole island
To save me writing the word ‘delicious’ all the time when referring to their food, just take if for granted that it was.
2 Pan y Aceitunas (bread, olives, garlic mayonnaise)
Starter…My wife and I shared the Pica Pica de Sepia (squid in a spicy sauce.)
Main meal…I had the Solomillo de Cebon (steak), my wife had Bacalao Frito (Cod with peppers etc.)
We didn’t have any dessert, the main meal was just right.
Drinks…I had a whisky and a Carajillo. And we shared a rosado de la casa. (I’m getting good at this Spanish. The fact that I am copying it, word for word, from the till receipt is just coincidence!
Great food, great service, lovely friendly staff.
If this had of been our only night in PP it would have been worth it but we still had 6 nights to go!

Unforunately, when we got back to the apartment my wife fell off a little stool she has to stand on to reach the wardobe clothes rail, which must be about 8 feet off the ground. She hurt her back and for the rest of the holiday she was in a lot of pain.

2. Friday. We ate in due to above accident but that wasn’t going to stop my wife from eating out every night from now on. (Once we got home we found out she has cracked a vertebrae and needs to be fitted with a brace tomorrow.)

3. Saturday. Guru. 40 Euros
No starter.
Main meal…Wife had sea bream, I had pork in spicy sauce.
Dessert…We shared a cheesecake dessert.
Drinks…I had a couple of glasses of house red and a carajillo. I think they forgot to put the whisky in it, it was just so weak. Wife had a bottle of water, which from now on was all she was going to be drinking for the rest of the holiday due the powerful pain killers she was on.
Very average food, staff were friendly enough but I just got the impression from the owner that he just wanted you in there, grab your money, and goodnight. No atmosphere at all. I would say he is more of a businessman than someone who welcomes you into his place and wants you to enjoy yourself by having a great time and great food etc. Didn’t enjoy it at all. Funny, because last year we had a great time there. Maybe as they’re coming to the end of the season they’re getting a bit jaded and tired.

4. Sunday. Los Pescadores. 60 Euros.
Starter…I had Fois gras and duck with a salad. Lovely but too much for a starter. Wife had asparagus soup which she loved.
Main meal…I had the lamb, my wife had cod with peppers, again. My one and only criticism of Pescadores is that sometimes they give you just a little bit too much. The waiter noticed we were struggling a bit and said ‘You have a break, I’ll be back later with dessert menu.’
Dessert…We couldn’t eat anything more so we didn’t have any.
Drinks…Water for wife, 2 glasses of house red for me. And that was all I drank! Very unusual.
Great night again. Even better than our first night. When we book a table Maria always gives us the same one on the balcony, right at the front. Brilliant.

5. Monday. Los Zarzales. 66 Euros.
What can I say about this place that I haven’t already said many times before? A slightly classier version of Los Pescadores, which is not a criticism, Los Pesc is just more laid back. Same great service, staff very helpful and friendly. Food out of this world. Our only disapointment was that Yolande decided to take the night off because it was quite quiet. We had booked a table in the courtyard but because it cold and wet we ate inside.
The usual olives, garlic mayonnaise, bread. Very tasty.
Starter…I decided to try the baby broadbeans after someone on this site said they were delicious. They were. I was expecting a couple of beans with a salady thing. They were served piping hot in a little dish with a garlic type sauce and black sausage which had a hint of mint flavour. Best starter I’ve ever had.
Main meal…Pork wrapped in cabbage for me and cod for the missus. Sounds boring, but they weren’t. Both beautifully cooked and all sorts of different flavours you don’t expect from pork or cod.
I had half a bottle of house red, wife still on water. I was also offered a cocktail, which I accepted, of course. Don’t know what it was but it was very refeshing and powerful.
Dessert…I had chocolate coulant? I think it was, which was a soft chocolate cake with a lovely soft liquid chocolate centre, and mint ice cream. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. It was like committing a sin. I sort of felt guilty that I was enjoying it so much.
(What was amusing and a nice touch was the chef, always smiling, popping in and out every now and then to check on the customers, asking if we liked the food. I told him what I thought of the dessert and he seemed was very pleased.

6. Tuesday. Bar Coral. 41 Euros.
We normally eat here at least once during our hols but last time we didn’t really enjoy it but decided to give it a go again. It was ok, but not as nice as it used to be a few years ago. They’re all very efficient and friendly but it lacks something special. They just seem to be going through the motions, as if they could offer the same service with their eyes closed. I don’t think the owners enjoy it as much as they used to. I could be totally wrong. Maybe it needs a makeover or something to freshen it up a bit.
No starter.
Main meal…I had the lamb and my wife had the sole and tumbert. The sole was very nice. The lamb, which is supposed to be a speciality of Bar Coral, was awful. It was tough, fatty and stringy and normally it just melts in your mouth. Didn’t enjoy it.
Dessert…For some reason we weren’t offered a dessert menu. The waitress had asked if we wanted anything and my wife ordered another bottle of water so she must have thought that was all we wanted and not dessert. I wasn’t going to order one anyway!

7. Wednesday. Los Pescadores. 54 euros.

Olives, bread etc..
Starter…We shared the Croquetas; absolutely delicious. As my wife is a veggie, we asked Maria if they were meat or vegetable. They were a mixture of both and she kindly pointed out that the dark ones were meat and the lighter ones were the veggie ones.
Main meal…I had the pork loin in blackberry sauce. My wife had the cod. Both excellent but a bit too much blackberry sauce. Still lovely, though.
Dessert…We had the cheesecake with white chocolate. Lovely.
Drinks…2 glasses of rose and a carajillo for me, and yes, more water for the other half.
Although it was quiet it still had a great feel to it, great views. Great place.

I’d just like to mention Café 1919. I only realised on the last day that although we have been going there a few times a week at lunch-times for a snack or tapas and a drink etc for the last 7 or 8 years, normally served by the same couple of waiters, they have never once, not once, shown any sign of recognition, or smiled a welcoming smile, or had a little chat! Ever! Odd. I’ll give it a miss next time.

That’s all, folks!
Old 26-09-2010, 12:27

Good review - have you thought of trying Los Pescadores?!! Great place so I heard!
Old 26-09-2010, 13:53

I just love the place. Maria's nice, too. If I wasn't married, and was about 40 years younger......
Old 26-09-2010, 14:19

Fab review Pollpot - so sorry to hear about your wife's injury though and hope "Mrs P" will soon be on the mend.
We fly out Sunday for a week and cant wait..I think Los Z will be on the list this time (as we are staying just around the corner)
CathB

Eating Out
Old 26-09-2010, 14:41

I wish we were going again but we'd better watch what we are spending from now on. Our daughter's getting married next year and that's going to cost an arm and a leg so we may not even have a holiday next year.

Re my comments above about being 40 years younger etc...what a stupid thing to say. I meant 20 years younger!
Old 27-09-2010, 10:17

Again an excellent report .Thanks
Old 27-09-2010, 20:14

Thanks Cumberland,

I really enjoy writing them. It feels like an extension of the holiday. Now we've got to wait about 12 months before we can go there again. It's going to be a long cold winter here.
Old 29-09-2010, 19:23

That was a cracking report.....thanks. Tried Pescadores for the first time this year and can quite see why you keep going back.

Duncan
Old 29-09-2010, 20:30

Great Report P many thanks. Will definitely try Los Pescadores next month.

Marilyn
Old 29-09-2010, 23:53

You won't be disappointed Marilyn. Book a table upstairs on the balcony. Can't beat it.