Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   A couple of new discoveries (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6546-couple-new-discoveries.html)

graham 13-09-2010 16:16

A couple of new discoveries

We’ve been out for just over two weeks. Sadly going back today, but thought I’d report on a couple of discoveries (for us).

We did all the old favourites: Las Zarzarles was a delight as ever. Yolande is the perfect, most charming hostess, the Broad Beans were stunning and the Pork in Cabbage just as wonderful as ever. Bit disconcerted by the saxophonist at first. Wasn’t sure if we REALLY needed ‘My Heart will Go On and On ‘ going on and on. But he was actually brilliant. Especially when he switched to some real jazz later in the evening.

Il Giardino was perfect. Always is. Hugo and Sonia were on duty (though I thought they were only doing the odd day here and there now???). Brilliant service. Fab location. Try the pork in pepper sauce.

La Fonda was great for paella. Little Italy came up trumps as ever and we LOVED Sunday Lunch at Cala Barques in CSV with the three old guys singing. Weather amazing. Stunning Views. Perfect Blue skies. Blissful. (By the way, was anyone at CSV a couple of Sundays ago when there was an incident in the really rough seas? Anyone know what happened?)

Now to the discoveries. I think Alanadakid has raved about La Terazza. Wow! What a view!! We only went for lunch, but the food was great (Try the Trampo with Tuna) and the service spot on. My very lucky wife (who’s staying on for a few more days) is going for dinner later in the week. I’ll get the verdict from her later. Has anyone else been for dinner?

I’d also read a couple of reviews of Es Guix near Lluc. What a find! I know it’s been there for ever, but the distance had put us off in the past. Not any more. We had lunch for 6 and just ordered all the Tapas off the menu and shared them amongst us. Flambeed Mussels, Dates wrapped in bacon, Frito Mallorquin…..the only slight thumbs down were the Snails in Garlic which were very Spanish, very big and er..well….very snailish!!!! I loved ‘em but the rest of the family passed.

No disappointments really. Apart from one. It’s top of all our visitors’ list when they come to our place. It’s got the best views in the port. It’s got the best location anywhere. But, I’m sorry, Stay is off my list. We’ve been there loads of time. It’s fine, but I’m afraid, in my opinion, that’s all it is : fine. The food is OK. The service is alright. The wine is acceptable. But the bill is astronomical (and, yes, I know about the MDD, but you NEVER get everyone agreeing on what they want – at least not with my lot). Added too that, we asked for a sea-side table and got put in Siberia and I’m afraid it wasn’t a first class evening.

So all in all, with just one minor quibble, a truly sensational visit to the best place in the world. Roll on next year!

favie 13-09-2010 18:14

Sounds as if you had a great time Graham.....thanks for posting as I just LOVE reading all the reviews. Not had one for awhile! :) We never got to CSV this year but must try Cala Barques next time!

Gommar Goffer 14-09-2010 09:47

Ah yes - the snails at Es Guix! Had them once and it was an enormous bowl of them with a massive one sitting on top staring at me with it's little antennae:eek: