Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 20:32

Default Quick Question??? Using VISA

Coming out again on Thursday this week - managed to get ourselves one of those santander zero cards and was wondering can I be more or less sure that all restaurants in PP take VISA cards, we didn't want to bring too much cash with us, maybe a silly question but thought it wise to ask!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 31-08-2010, 21:58

I do not often use a credit card in PP, but anytime I have it has always been accepted I do not think you will have a problem.

PP76
Old 31-08-2010, 22:35

Thumbs up

Hiya MandyP,

I don't 'do' cash ! lol.. I only use credit cards ( use other ppls money then clear it) home or abroad. I have a saga card, which means there is no currency conversion charges... so I presume that is what u mean with the Zero card. Anyway... one piece of advice... fone ur credit card company and advise them when u will be in PP. This is the only problem I have ever had(and it is becoming more and more frequent)... is having a temp block on a card cos there was a transaction in another country. A fone call sorted it but I was advised to let them know in future.
It is reassuring that they are on the ball... but when u have a weeks shop in the basket and ur at the checkout in eroski it is a pain it the whatsit ! lol
Have a great holiday

Miriam

Last edited by med777; 31-08-2010 at 22:37. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26

I never use credit,debit or charge cards ,because no matter what they say there is always a fee ,Its common sense that there will be a cost, otherwise who is going to pay for the admin & supply of any card?
Most of the smaller restaurents prefer cash, otherwise they have to pay a percentage to the Card supplier & why should we pay our hard earned to these money grabbing banks?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36

To answer your question Mandy, if it is a visa card, i.e. with a visa logo on it, it will be excepted wherever they except credit cards, most places in other words, just check before you sit down, hope this helps.

On island time!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:15
Super Moderator

Mandy i don't know of any restaurant that does not take Visa/Mastercard, like you i don't carry lots of cash for obvious security reasons. Even if there is a small charge, it is worth it for the peace of mind that if lost or stolen it can be stopped without you losing anything. Most insurers may not cover you for large amounts of cash if lost/stolen.
Old 01-09-2010, 20:11

Thanks for all your replies - we used this card for the first time in Cyprus earlier in the year and we were really pleased at the rates of exchange we got and the fact that there is no charge to use it either - the card was recommended a number of this times on this forum so really pleased we got one!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 20:19

Just to add a quick comment - always carry some form of photo ID as alot of places will not accept cards without it. Carry your Photocard driving licence if you have one it is safer than carrying your passport around.
Old 02-09-2010, 19:47

I always use Santander Zero, never had to phone bank beforehand and never felt ripped off.

Got 1.22 exchange rate when cash was 1.13 prior to travel.

PS I dont work for them!
Old 03-09-2010, 16:15

just to add to the point about ID have been to the festival park quite a few times and have been asked for passport when using my credit card [visa] and I always tell my provider that I am going to be away, had really bad experience a few years ago with fraudulant use of my card, so just give them a quick call. Have a good time
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22

Just received my new Santander Zero card to replace my nationwide. It says I must tell them when I want to use it abroad so that they don't stop it.

I'm have also transferred my Nationwide A/C to Santander (A & L actually and got a free £100 and £50 cashback) to use their debit card for free cash transactions in Santander cash machines in Spain to replace the Nationwide debit card which starts charging 2% from November.

Sorry P, I know this is possibly not in the correct thread.

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 04-09-2010 at 08:26.
Old 04-09-2010, 15:25

Prepaid Euro Cards are also a good idea also as you load the card before you go so may stop you going card happy if you have a credit card.

I use Caxton FX Mastercard,decent exchange rate and no ATM or usage fees once you have the card.Worth a look.
https://www.caxtonfxcard.com/index.asp?dist=CAXTGENL