Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 22:42

Default Oh no.....not another trip report!!

Well, it’s a week since we returned from our beloved PP, which once again has provided the backdrop to a most wonderful holiday. So it’s time to endure the stress of the Trip Report. Will anyone read it? Will more than three people comment upon it? Will they think I’m a muppet? Oh, the pressure. How do you make a Trip Report “different”? So here goes.

As we visited some restaurants more than once, I’m going to comment upon each restaurant separately, tell you when we went, what we spent, and what I ate (can’t remember what the rest of the family had!).

There are six “Disorderlys” in all, my wife and me, our two sons and “better halves” (ages range from 23 to 57…..that will be me then!) and so we always have a round of drinks (G&Ts etc) to start with, get through three bottles of wine between us, and finish with espressos (sorry, café solos!) for four of us. Generally we don’t do sweets, though sometimes one or two give it a go.
Oh do shut up and get on with it!!! OK!

[B]Brisa Marina (24/7 – E220.10, 30/7 – E237.00, 30/7 – E251.40)For starters I had Stuffed Mussels, Garlic Prawns and Fish Soup. All were absolutely superb. For mains, Lamb chops, Paella and Fillet Steak. Again, absolutely brilliant – best Paella in the port? Steak cooked exactly as you like it. I like rare – rare it was. Two of the family like “blue” (as in still mooing!), and they do that well too.

The two Franciscos at Brisa Marina make this a fantastic venue. The food is totally reliable and excellent value, and we always start and finish our holidays there – it’s tradition! The meal is always nicely paced, the Marques de Riscal nicely priced, and the friendly welcome that awaits makes this a restaurant we will always go back to.

C’an Josef (25/7 – E300.35 (extra round of drinks!), 30/7 – E284.30, 6/8 – E270.20)
For starters Tempora Prawns (historic), Goats Cheese, Bacon and Crouton Salad (wow) and Garlic Prawns. For mains, Hake in Green Sauce (that’s different – and very nice), Pork Fillet in Mushroom Sauce (very tasty) and John Dory (which we all agreed was very, very special)

As you can tell, another place we love. Josef is a brilliant host, and Miguel (“all right, fantastic”) is a great addition to the restaurant. This is, to my mind, one of the very best restaurants in PP. The service, friendliness, quality of food, pace of meal and general ambiance really do take some beating. This will always be on our radar – long may you thrive Josef!

Los Zazarles (27/7 – E254.00, 4/8 – E264.70)
Starters of Seafood Stuffed Peppers and King Prawn Sauted with Sabrosada were just brilliant. I couldn’t help ordering the Roast Suckling Pig on both visits, which did not disappoint, nor did it disappoint everyone else who ordered it!
This is a restaurant that is right back at the very top of its game. Yolande is a lovely hostess, all the staff are very professional and efficient, and sitting in the courtyard is a wonderful place for a memorable meal. Entertainment was from a trio of Cuban guitarists/singers one night, who were excellent, and from the ever excellent Mariano Miranda, a guitarist who you will see at C’an Josef and The Daina. I am so very pleased that Los Zazarles is restored to its status as one of the very best restaurants in the port.

O’Lume (29/7 – E198.30)….the bill was only so small because we got bored waiting to be served!
For starters I had Carpaccio of Beef, and Veal Escalope for main. I thought the Carpaccio excessively oily and the Veal adequate, if not memorable. My wife had Pork, which was seriously undercooked. Everyone else thought their meals OK, but no-one was begging to come back.
I don’t get this restaurant. My wife and I went to the original O’Lume three years ago, and didn’t really enjoy it, and yet so many of you rave about it that I’ve spent two years persuading Jane to go back, particularly to try the new location. This was a MASSIVE disappointment. There were only five tables (in the courtyard) to be served when we visited, and yet we were there for three hours – and didn’t do either deserts or coffee because, frankly, we’d lost the will to live waiting! The service was dire, the food nothing special, the staff lacking any personality (yes, I know lots of you think Jaime is such a great guy – sorry, my boxes remain unticked). So after two attempts, I’m afraid that my hard earned Euros will be going elsewhere in the future.

La Goleta (1/8 – E229.55)
Green Fried Peppers for starters ….a local thing and a “special”, recommended by the ever charming Martin. I’m sure that there are many people who would love this dish…sadly I’m not one of them. For mains I had Lamb La Goleta, which was small, young shoulders of lamb, slow cooked in a lovely sauce. Perfect!
A regular and very reliable restaurant for us. Sadly, the night we visited it was full (rammed!) and the service was really quite slow, 35 minutes went by before any drink orders were taken and 1 hour 15 minutes before any food served – this was better than O’Lume, however, which only had five tables to deal with! Just the luck of the draw, I guess, but the food was generally excellent and Martin introduced us to a Vino Tinto by the name of Luis Canas, which was excellent.

El Posito (28/7 – E262.95)
Another favorite starter here in the form of Garlic Squid (from the bay!), followed by Sea Bass. Both really enjoyable.
If I had a criticism of this restaurant, it would be that the menu never seems to change much from year to year, and there is also an issue with the saltiness of the sauces that accompany some dishes (this has been mentioned by others on the Discussion Forum before). No problem with service, though. However, there was a guitarist playing the night we visited. Now I’m a big fan of Mariano Miranda, a guitarist well known in the port, and I’ve played guitar myself for fifty years, and I have to say that the guy who was playing at El Posito was, without question, the most talentless, useless, and tuneless individual that I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. If that was supposed to create an “ambiance”, well………!

Los Pescadores (2/8 - E234.80)
This time, dear friends, forgetting your enthusiasm for O’Lume, I must thank you for this brilliant recommendation.
I had a truly wonderful Pica Pica Squid in Hot Sauce as a starter, followed by a perfectly cooked Sea Bass. Everyone else enjoyed their food here.
The lovely Angie (who seems to run this place) was utterly charming and we enjoyed our table on the first floor balcony overlooking the bay. We will absolutely return to this wonderful restaurant which is friendly, unpretentious, but with fabulous food and service. And what a view!

So that’s it for another year. I’ve got another couple of things to tell you about, elsewhere…….the random meeting with a fellow Discussion Group poster……the worst waitress in the western world encountered in the Old Town. When I get my breath back I’ll “spill the beans”. I wonder if anyone will notice?
Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!
And thanks to everyone who makes this such a truly inclusive and informative site.

DUNCAN

Last edited by Disorderly; 13-08-2010 at 22:52.
Sponsored Links
Old 13-08-2010, 22:58

Thanks Duncan - an excellent crititique and I enjoyed the format. I know what you mean about the apprehensions of posting a trip a trip report - sometimes they just seem to dissappear under the radar (or waves) - could be timing - could be I'm boring. Don't know.

I do have to say that after all the recent comments about Los Pescadores I will definately be giving it a go - don't do fish much so didn't think to go - and my daughter will be revelling in those little green things you didn't care for!
Old 13-08-2010, 23:03

A good read Duncan and thanks for taking the trouble to post that. It is interesting to see an alternative view on O Lume which gets huge enthusiasm on here generally (me included), it just shows that no restaurant suits everyone. I've got to try C'an Josef next time I'm out, its getting too many good reviews to ignore. Also Los Pescadores needs to be revisted - it used to be a regular of ours a few years back but sort of fell off the the list, the great press on this forum cannot be ignored!
Old 13-08-2010, 23:14

Great review Disorderly

We too have mixed views re O Lume

Went to old place when it first openend ( think this was in 2006 ) and thought the food was great ( though the lack of other diners gave it a bit of a creepy feel )

Went back a year later and had one really good emal and one not so good one ...... again atmosphere not what it should have been

So, gave it a miss for a couple of years ...... then they moved ...... went back this July and had a lovelly meal with great service in a garden bustling with guests ..... so I think it really must be a bit of a hit and miss place ..... well it has been for us.

Love El Posito and it never fails to deliver for us ........ probably the best meal we had this year

Went to C'an Josep lots last October and again in April and had nothing but praise for it .......... went in July and was not quite so impressed ( again could have been an off noght ) ...... nothing I could put my finger on .... just not the WOW I felt in April. Didn't get round to giving it another go in July but havn't been put off.

Have never set foot in Brisa Marine .... must give it a try
Old 13-08-2010, 23:43

Great review, Duncan. Thank you.
Old 13-08-2010, 23:52
Super Moderator

Fantastic report Duncan, you tell it as you see it and so you should. It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same places. Vive la difference!! .
Old 14-08-2010, 01:22

Great post Duncan and very enjoyable reading. I tried doing my trip report over a week ago and spent at least 20 mins on it (trying to inject a bit of humour on the way), but when went to send post, it was lost, people really do enjoy reading them (me being one of them, even if it is my own), and we do, especially if we are new to the port (3rd visit only), not only learn different things but get a good feel for where to eat. Sounds like you had a great time and long may it continue.

I must get round to redoing my trip report!!

Gary
Old 14-08-2010, 07:34

Thanks for such a readable review. Covered the most important points - quality of food, service, atmosphere and cost.

We will definitely be trying C'an Joseph and Los Pescadores this year! Shame about your experiences with O Lume - I had a birthday party there last year for 20 people and the food and service were spot on. As Sparky says it would be boring if we all liked the same places. Looking forward to your other posts.
Old 14-08-2010, 07:34

Must agree about O'Lume very good duck salad starters x2, but hubby had crab very bland, steak all round not cooked right daughters to much mine to little husbands T-bone tough,bottle of wine 1 whiskey 1 G+T, no desert or coffee, bill over 100 euro, was really looking forward to here after the reviews,not again sorry.
Old 14-08-2010, 09:17

Excellent review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
La Goleta (1/8 – E229.55)
Green Fried Peppers for starters ….a local thing and a “special”,
can I ask what this is called in Spanish and does it appear on any menus anywhere or is it always a special order?

I have seen people eating the plates of green peppers for starters at various reastaraunts but never seen it on a menu?

Would like to try sometime if I can find it.

Mark.
Old 14-08-2010, 10:12
Super Moderator

Mark they are called Pimientos Padron.
Old 14-08-2010, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Great post Duncan and very enjoyable reading. I tried doing my trip report over a week ago and spent at least 20 mins on it (trying to inject a bit of humour on the way), but when went to send post, it was lost
Gary
There are ways to get your post back without loosing it but if it's going to be quite a long post, probably better to do it in your word processor and then copy and paste it.
Old 14-08-2010, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Mark they are called Pimientos Padron.
Thanks Sparky

Looking forward to our next visit even more now
Old 14-08-2010, 15:49

I must admit that I learnt the hard way about losing posts, so now I cheat - write it as a Word document, save it, then copy/paste. Saves a lot of heartache!
Old 14-08-2010, 16:08
Super Moderator

I have found an easier solution to this problem.............when you log in with your username and password, there is a box beside it which says "remember me".......click on the box....do not log out when you have finished your session, the next time you come on the site you don't have to log in and you can do the longest posts you want without getting timed out. I hope that makes sense and that it solves the problem for you.