Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Makassars (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6398-makassars.html)

Cocoa07 09-08-2010 12:53

Makassars

Well, I would love to post about the food at Makassars but as we didn't get any then I can't!!

We had decided to go one evening and had reserved a table for 9.30. It was busy when we arrived which was a good sign. We sat, got the menus and then ordered our food and drinks. Only one starter but another person in the party did order a starter as a main course. The drinks arrived and it took three or four requests for the right number of water/wine glasses and then ashtrays, etc.. A few minutes later two starters arrived - so we sent one back as this should have been served with the main course. This was clearly stated when we placed the order.

We then sat and waited, waited a bit more and then the waiting got a bit stupid. By 10.35 the restaurant was only half full but we were still waiting. The waitress assured us that our food was on its way but there was no apology. Fifteen minutes later and we had had enough. The two best spanish speakers in the party were sent in to talk to the manager - we told him that we would pay for our drinks and starter and then we were leaving.
He came out and again there was no apology - in fact he got quite bolshy with us. He was trying to put the blame on the waitress and was saying that it was because we sent one of the starters back but then we noticed that two other tables were also waiting - we had all arrived at about the same time.
We worked out what the cost was of the drinks and starter that we had consumed (35 euros) and took it in.
I am sure that the manager was muttering expletives at us but it was ridiculous. I have no idea when the two other tables got fed but they were both very annoyed too. I know that delays happen and if someone apologises and keep you informed then you don't mind but you don't ignore your customers and then get bolshy when they ask where there food is.

Next to our appartment was a bar called C'an Balache which is run by an English couple. It is a great place. I usually hate British bars (or faux Irish/Australian, etc..) with a passion but this is just a great bar that happens to be run by English people. We turned up at 11 and asked if we could have some tapas - 'not a problem' said Tony! We sat and ate some fantastic authentic tapas with a bottle of rose wine and enjoyed the rest of our evening.

In my opinion - avoid Makassars like the plague!

Sparky 09-08-2010 13:53

Cocoa i am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience in Makassaar, it sounds like the manager needs some training in PR.

I am glad you discovered C'an Balache, Tony and Bev are a lovely, hard working couple and are always very welcoming.

Cocoa07 09-08-2010 14:11

I know Sparky - I have worked in PR for 20 years so it grates with me even more!

Bev and Tony are lovely and you are right, they work really hard.

Jupiter1972 10-08-2010 13:44

Cocoa07

Don't be too upset you didn't miss anything!

We recently ate in Makassar and the food was really disppointing but the attitude of the waitresses was appalling.

The waiting staff were extremely rude and if we asked for anything at all i.e. ketchup or extra bread she rolled her eyes at us. They got our order wrong and when we told her she tutted at us! We all have a bad day at the office but come on.....

In fact this holiday was the first time ever that we didn't tip every night and I have to say it was not only Makassar's staff that had a bad attitude this year. Experienced similar rudeness in Trio (in fact the staff all started shouting at each other and the waiter refused to take our drink order until we had ordered food) and El Casinet.

eleanor 10-08-2010 13:57

What is wrong with these people? Do they not realise that things are tough out there!
Then they wonder why they have no clients and they have to shut shop.

I hope some of these people look at this site and realise they can not afford to treat anyone like this in any circumstance. What a disappointment!

mike_dublin 11-08-2010 09:15

The info on the board really helps making up my 'shortlist' of restaurants for our yearly visit.

Makassar hadn't made it on the list before, but it is now firmly off the radar. Not only for this year, but also for future visits.

Do restaurants in the church square have generally more issues? Do they have enough passing trade and don't rely on returning visitors? Or do a few bad ones spoil it for the rest of the places in the square?

We do tend to stay away from restaurants in the square (if we haven't heard any sort of positive reviews).

I do understand that there can be hiccups and not every visit will be picture perfect, but if mediocre food is accompanied by unpleasent attitude that'll be it for the future. There's no 'three strikes and your out'-rule. I'm a bad customer in that regard. And I will tell. Not necessarily to the manager if he's already on a 'day off' but certainly on the forum.

There are so many places to chose from with great food and pleasant staff. And thanks to the forum members I get to know and enjoy more of these places every year. Two weeks are getting to short ...

Rosita101 11-08-2010 14:18

Hi
We too were not impressed with Makassars. It became obvious it was no longer rub by Joan - the guy from Tiberi. I understand it is now owned by the same people as Mojito (in the sq), afraid we haven't been impressed by them either.

For great food and service as ever, we really enjoyed the Clivia in Pollensa.

atters 13-08-2010 13:26

We also had a really bad experience at Makasser in July. My main course was wrong. Had ordered Monkfish & Prawn kebab. Served a Salmon & Prawn kebab. Promptly returned this, only for it to be re served to me about 10 minutes later, exactly as i had sent it back!!

Eventually got what i ordered some 20 mins later(When everyone else had finished), only to burn, quite badly(still blistered now:mad:!) my finger and thumb on the red hot skewer. No warning given!

Had to remonstrate over the bill, and eventually got the monkfish & prawn kebab deducted.

Would NEVER return!

tangofan 15-08-2010 14:35

I do agree about Makassars. We tried it last year and whilst the food was ok, all our main courses arrived at different times and we thought we had better eat them as they arrived rather than send them back to be kept hot but I think I had finished mine before the last person's arrived! We also had a problem with the bill, they charged for bread which we didn't have and just generally thought the place wasn't very good. I think it is true to say best avoid restaurants in the square (with the exception of Tango of course, when it was there) and I realised that Makassar owned El Posito when I noticed the staff in there had Makassar on their uniforms! We thought El Posito was ok, but again poor service and high prices. As has already been said, so many other places to choose from!

I am suffering withdrawal symptoms today reading all the posts as we aren't going to make it out this year but roll on next year!

its cd 15-08-2010 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofan (Post 48604)
I think it is true to say best avoid restaurants in the square (with the exception of Tango of course, when it was there) and I realised that Makassar owned El Posito when I noticed the staff in there had Makassar on their uniforms! We thought El Posito was ok, but again poor service and high prices.

Makassar owns El Posito ?????? when did this happen ........... sounds unlikely to me

Sparky 15-08-2010 15:51

Tangofan, i am sorry but you are wrong, El Posito has nothing to do with Makasaar. El Mojito, Makasaar and Jordis supermarket are all the same group.

andrew711 15-08-2010 15:51

Should it be El Mojito? Makassar, Mojito, Casinet - all the same.

lollipop 15-08-2010 16:38

Andrew711, you have it .El Mojito ,makkassar and el Casinet all part of the same group.

tangofan 15-08-2010 17:33

Whoops sorry, I meant El Mojito!

its cd 15-08-2010 18:45

ahhh that sounbds more like it ...... I got a bit worried for a moment that things had changed at El Posito