Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   My 2 weeks in PP - Restaurant Review (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6292-my-2-weeks-pp-restaurant-review.html)

Pollpott 19-07-2010 14:55

My 2 weeks in PP - Restaurant Review

This is a long one, I'm afraid...
Just back after the best ever 2 weeks in Puerto Pollensa. Fantastic holiday.
Arrived early afternoon on Sat 3rd July. As we did last year, we booked a table for that evening on the balcony at Los Pescadores on the Pine Walk as it is the nearest restaurant to our apartment. Then walked along to the Daina hotel were we had 3 bottles of water and a Coke. My wife and I both commentated, as you do, on the not very clean toilets. But staff very friendly and main bar very clean and cool. Very few peolple about. And this was at 17.00 hours on a Saturday night. Back to apartment then out for our meal at Los Pescadores. What a beautiful place to have a meal. Up on the balcony overlooking the beach. Paradise. We had the par oli. (Is that what it’s called, because in my book it’s pa amb oli but that different, isn’t it?) Anyway, this was delicious olives, bread and the garlic mayonaisse dip. The ever-pleasant, always smiling owner/manageress (is her name Maria de Los Angeles, or Angie? I can't remember,) took our order. Wife had sole with garlic, I had pork sirloin with blackberry sauce. Fantastic. Bottle of house rose. I had the Tarte del Dia, which was cheese cake. Nice but it had a soggy bottom. Staff, as usual were very friendly. As we were upstairs we couldn't see the downstairs tv showing the Spain versus Paraguay for a semi-final place in the world cup. . But we could certainly hear it and the reaction of the staff. Spain won, the staff went wild. They gave us a couple of free drinks to celebrate. We also had a couple of carajillos (strong coffee with brandy or whiskey). The bill came to 52.80 euros. It seemed very quiet along the Pine Walk. Not many people about. But a great night.

4th July. Los Zarzoles. (Always our favourite, but I think this year Los Pescadores has taken number one slot with us.) Had the par oli, which we found to be a bit too salty. Think the wife had cod or sea bass, I had the suckling pig. Very nice. Both beautifully cooked. I had some sort of cocktaill. Powerfull stuff. I had the tiramisu, and my wife had strawberries. Two carajillos and 2 liqueurs. 58.00 euros. If I remember correctly this seemed a lot cheaper than last year. Adding to the laid-back, relaxed atmosphere was a great sax player. Yolande, the owner, was saying that it's been a fairly quiet start to the season although Easter was quite busy. Walking back along the Pine Walk it seemed a lot busier than last night. The sand sculptures and the chidrens entertainer added to the atmosphere.

5th July. Just went to Bony's for a few drinks. Either this bloke is a total slave-driver or the staff are terrified of him. Or both. The waitresses are at your table taking your order even before you've sat down! Your order arrives within about 3 mins. They are on full alert the whole time. Great for the customer but it doesn't seem normal. Never thought I'd complain that the service is too quick. They should chillout a bit. Still a great place to sit and people-watch.

6th July.
Lunch time. Went to cafe/bar place on the corner of the road where the Pollensa Park hotel is. Can't remember the name of it. Just had a burger and chips, with tomato ketchup! Wife had omelette. Paid the bill and said Adios. They didn't even look up or reply. Won't be going there again. Not very friendly.
Bar Coral. Still a favourite of ours although sometimes it seems to lack that laid-back holiday atmosphere. Shoulder of lamb, Sole, house Rose, cheese cake. All very nice. No compaints. Bill came to 53 Euros.

7th July Los Pescadores. Had booked a table downstairs inside so we could watch the football. (Sad, eh?) When we arrived she had moved the tv outside for us so we could watch it there. Maria or Angie (can someone let me know her name?) is very attentive, caring, pleasant and makes you feel as if you are her best customer. It works for me every time! I had the pate then the pork loin. Wife had the cod in peppers, one of the best meals she's had, she said. Waiter gave me a sort of apple liqueur for some reason. Maybe it was because I was having the pork. Then we had a free vodka and lime each because Spain won the match. Staff very excited. Great night again.
60 euros.
8th July. Ate in. No comment. What can you say about a tin of tuna and a bottle of beer? Walked along to get our Bony's fix. Same as usual.

9th July. Guru. Had a lovely meal there last year. Same again this year. Very nice par oli. We had the potatas bravas? between us as a starter. It's little squares of potatos in a sort of hot chilli sauce. Very hot and very nice. Sea bream and rice, Fillet steak and pepper sauce both with lovely veg. Bottle of house rose and complimentary schnapps. It seemed be a lot busier here than other places we'de seen in the last few days. Bill came to 58.10 euros.

10th July. Ate in again and then walked to the square. Sat outside Cafe L'Algar which is just opposite Bony's. Very pleasant and very warm.

Sunday 11th July. World Cup Final. Spain versus Holland. Where else could we eat except Los Pescadores? Glad we'd booked a table because it was very busy. Service and personal attention excellent as usual even though they were rushed off their feet. Par oli, then had crab salad between us which was a massive starter. I had chicken tandoori which was beauiful, wife had cod. Bottle of house rose. I finished with a huge ice cream. 61 euros. Spain won. The staff went berserk. Screaming and whooping, trumpets blowing. Best night of the whole holiday. The staff treat you as if you’ve just called into their house for a meal and a drink.

11th July. Ate in.

12th July. Went to the square just to people-watch. Bony's again, then to the Lemon Lounge for a few more drinks. They had a so-called Elvis tribute act. He didn't know if he was a singer or a comedian. He was rubbish at both. He was about as funny as Bernard Manning and kept making fun of the Germans. I've sung Elvis songs better myself in the bathroom.

13th July. Los Zarzales. Excellent service, lovely setting, classy and relaxing. Cuban band playing (as they do every year, I think). I had the battered brie with summer fruits, then the best suckling pig I've ever had. Wife had cod with peppers and mushrooms. House rose, plus 2 more glasses of same. I think we had the carajillos, as well.
Bill came to 56 euros.

14th July. I've lost my notes for this day. I think we had a snack in Torre Player after coming off the beach and then went to the square in the evening where they had some sort of Spanish folk dancing. Great happy atmosphere, lots of kids enjoying themselves.

15th July. Los Pescadores. Table upstairs on the balcony. We had the squid in spicy tomato sauce. Never had it before but will certainly be having it again. Delicious. I had tandoori chicken again, the wife had cod in peppers. (My wife is a vegetarian and gluten-intolerant so she can't have much apart from fish!) House rose, bottle of water.
56 euros. Paid the bill and we had a hug and a kiss from the owner. I would have just settled for the hug and the kiss, never mind the food and drinkl! Senor Tony, she called me, which made me feel really good. Said our goodbyes and said we'd be back next year. In fact, we were back there the next night!

16th July. Los Pescadores. The owner booked us the same table on the balcony as last night. I sort of apologised that we'd said our goodbyes last night and now we were back. She didn't mind of course, said we could eat there everynight! I wish we could. Same great atmosphere, service, friendly staff and delicious food. Had the same as last night except I had the shoulder of lamb. Unfortunately, by the time I got round to eating the lamb it was cold. It was because I was on my mobile phone for 5 minutes when the the food arrived. I asked the owner could she warm it up which she did. She apologised to me but it was my fault completely. She gave us a couple of drinks on the house but I felt bad because it was my fault. Never mind, we'll be back next year.

And that's it!

Tony
[/B][/B][/B][/B][/B]

favie 19-07-2010 15:09

Brilliant Pollpott.....glad you had a great time and I see you liked Los Pescadores as much as we did although, unfortunetely, didn't manage there quite as often as you did! :) Will remedy that next time!! Coral, another favourite of ours.....so many great restaurants eh!
Enjoyed reading that .....thanks.:)

Belladonna 19-07-2010 15:28

A very easy to read report, thank you for taking the notes! Glad you did before all the after dinner tipples!!;) Have never tried Los Pes. but will look out for it and give it a go.

CathB 19-07-2010 16:20

fab report Pollpot..you have beaten me too it.seems like we must have been lurking in the same area on several occasions.;)

mike_dublin 19-07-2010 21:46

Great review! Mouth-watering and very enjoyable to read.
Thanks for taking taking the time and sharing it.

Pollpott 19-07-2010 23:09

No need to thank me Mike, it was a pleasure to write it. I'm missing PP already. Here in South Wales it's pouring with rain, cold and miserable. Just a few days ago I was eating in beautiful restaurants and walking the Pine Walk, moaning about the heat. I'm actually thinking about booking another holiday later in the year, maybe September. I just ove the place.

Rosie34 20-07-2010 07:30

Really enjoyed reading your 'report' Tony - I feel as I've I've been there too and enjoyed every meal! :) And another one to add to my list (Los Pescadores) - do you phone to book a balcony table or call in? We never tried it as I dont like fish and didnt realise they served other stuff as well.

Pollpott 20-07-2010 11:24

Belladonna, I always try to write a few little notes when I'm at the table because if I leave it until we get back to the apartment...well, you know, all that drink, as you said!

Rosie34, As we were staying just a few minutes along the Pine Walk from Los Pescadores we just used to call in on the day we wanted a table and book it then. The telephone number, if you want to ring, is 971 866 274.

Rosie34 20-07-2010 11:43

Thank you!:)

Belladonna 20-07-2010 11:56

I was once approached by a maitre de when I took a photo of a fabulous desert in a hotel, asking who I was and why I was taking a photo! They thought we were from a competitors hotel!!:eek:

I now feel like a reporter - which we all are come to think of it - when I try to scribble something down. The most I can do is grab the bill if I can, then try and work out afterwards where it was and what we had. Which never works, hence no reports!!:o

ironmanuk 20-07-2010 12:05

Got to agree with you about Los Pescadores,I ended up eating here 4 nights out of seven in May and even came for breakfast one day , it is a great spot and the owner is lovely,we have booked 2 nts for when we come again in August,I helped her son fix his puncture on his bike one night and was rewarded with free beer!:D
Only 3 weeks to go!

purpleboots 20-07-2010 15:18

Never tried this place but certainly will next time. It's funny but when you have a nice meal somewhere you just can't get it out of your head somehow and you just keep on going back for more, we like Bar Coral as well but like you said it's lost that laid back feeling. I remember years ago they used to close the street and everyone used to get up and do line dancing, the song Missisipi allways comes to my mind they used to play it all the time and Pedro and Anna used to join in.

Pollpott 20-07-2010 16:13

Purpleboots,
There's a video on Youtube of Pedro ( I think) dancing outside Bar Coral with lots of other people one summer evening. Looked like they were all having great time.

LK1960 21-07-2010 15:01

Really enjoyed your report Pollpot. Called into Los Pescadores after the Market today and booked a balcony table for tonight based on your recommendation!:)

Pollpott 21-07-2010 16:41

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Tell her "Senor Tony" and his wife recommended it to you.