Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48
mark1875

Default Pescaditos in PP

Both my lads will have their birthdays whilst in PP this summer.

We have been bringing them to various parts of Spain since they were wee. One thing they both still love is 'Pescaditos'. Deep fried little fish, much the same as old pub staple whitebait. Does anyone know of any where we can buy these in the Port. Either in a restaurant or from a shop to cook ourselves?

There is a test for you?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 03:17

Your boys are in luck!!

In Mallorca they are called chiperones and you will find most of the local restaurants serve them as a snack or starter :b

My favourites are at Centric in the square. Sometimes they are not shown on the menu but ask and they usually have them. Your lads can eat they favourites and then let off steam playing in the square while you relax with a few drinks Also Los Zarzales do the crispiest most delicious ones .. the portion is huge as a starter and could easily do a child as a main dish.

Yummy :b
Old 06-02-2008, 17:31
klad1

I think chiperones are baby squid. Is it whitebait that you are wanting?
Old 06-02-2008, 18:39

I was just about to say that Chiperones are baby squid. I know this because my family always eat them but in general it was in the evening. My dad made the mistake of ordering them in daylight and decided that they definitely didn't look as appetising in the daylight, although still tasted good!!
Old 06-02-2008, 19:15
mark1875

Indeed, Chiperones are another favourite, but something quite different, its the whitebait like Pescaditos that are hard to find.
Old 06-02-2008, 21:22

You're right I was getting my squid and my whitebait muddled up :rolleyes !

We did have whitebait at La Llonja last October but not sure if they are always on the menu as they change it frequently.

Debs
Old 07-02-2008, 01:16

I think they appear as bocarones (or similar spelling) on menus. Most of the restaurants in Porta Alcudia seem to have them but not sure in PP. They can be pretty large sometimes, hubby chickens out and cuts off head and tail when that happens!!:lol
Old 07-02-2008, 01:59
Founder

I think they are 'boquerones' in Mallorca.

I think but am not sure that the same fish is also used as cold marinaded fish similar to anchovies. In Murcia once, when I was doing a language course, they served a dish (tapa) that translated as a 'married couple' & consisted of 2 boquerones - 1 cold & marinaded & one hot & fried.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:06

Cannot recall seeing pescaditos on a menu in PP.

Boquerones as in PP are small sardines deep fried in batter and you eat the lot. Neptune serve them on their tapas menu and El Posito too. Tony of EP once said to me when serving them to me "eat the lot" as only Tony can. They are deep fried freshly for you when ordered.

Came across pescaditos in Spain last year and I'd say they were like whitebait, in batter and deep fried. A bit chewy and stringy, might be an acquired taste.

Also in Spain last year came across boquerones, cold, marinaded, and they are absolutely delicious, but have never seen them served in this fashion on Majorca.

Chipirones in my book would be grilled baby squid. Not a squid fan but had them once in El Posito and enjoyed very much .

My t'uppence worth!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16
mark1875

Seems that it may be difficult to get my hands on them? Boquerones are a little bigger and seem to not appeal to my lads?

A pal of mine who is a Malgueno reckons they have never really got popular in the baleares, although he couldn't say why?

Two years ago we stayed in Calafell north of Tarragona and you could eat them almost everywhere? Weird eh?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02

This one's going to run!!

I thought boquerones were marinated whitebait'y things as Porto described but not deep fried in batter. Really delicious (pickled and vinegary) not too big and no heads or tails on so you didn't feel squeamish :| Maybe they are anchovies!? Have had them in Mallorca ,in Cala and also Fornalutx ,but not PP.

Chiperones are crispy and deep fried and only little baby squid so not chewy and rubbery!

Mark what is a Malgueno?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34
mark1875

A small chocolate biscuit...............................

Just kidding, its someone from Malaga ( think?) :evil

In Malaga, you eat pescaditos with a dollop of allioli...mmm delicious.

Boquerones are indeed the large anchovies in brine, which are nice but not to my son's tastes.

So, as I was saying, no places sell them, how's about any fishmongers in the port? Is anyone in and around PP to look at the fish monger in Caprabo or next door to the 'wee families' restaurant in Carrer Sant Pere if they sell such a thing?

Its became a mission now!
Old 07-02-2008, 18:55

LOL @ mark...you got me worried for a minute!! I literally said out loud 'a small chocolate biscuit '???? :\

When I'm out in march I will also now be on a mission to hunt down ..in the words of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman...'the slippery little suckers' !
Old 07-02-2008, 19:03

Pescaditos (whitebait) are available as a starter in Brisa Marina Restaurant.

This restaurant is along the sea front opposite the turning to the car park.
Old 07-02-2008, 20:53
mark1875

Superb, we have success! OK, I wont be there until late July this year, anyone there before me can you 'case the joint'