Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   REVIEW: The Fussies Review O Lume (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6260-fussies-review-o-lume.html)

TheFussies 12-07-2010 20:44

The Fussies Review O Lume

This is such a long post I thought I’d better put it in as a new thread. Also I know Jamie is waiting no doubt with some trepidation as to the conclusions of the Fussies review.

It’s a long time since the Fussies visited a restaurant three times during a holiday, normally the maximum is two and that’s usually reserved for only one or two restaurants. The food and atmosphere were so good that O Lume deserved to be our first and last port of call as well as the venue for the family and friends gathering. Well-done Jamie
Sunday 27th June
After last years visit O Lume was declared TheFussies favourite restaurant in PP. Miss Fussie was particularly impressed with the attention she received in coping with her unusual requests. So on arriving in on 27th June PP MrFussie and MissFussie were duly despatched to warn Jamie of our arrival so as to ensure sufficient supplies of vegetables to meet her exacting dietary requirements. She’s not vegetarian, vegan or any of that just awkward as will be explained. On entering were immediately recognised by Jamie. Not immediately sure if he wanted to greet us or run, but greet us he did. I guess the exit was blocked!! After inspection of the new premises and with the approval of MissFussie we declared we would be along sometime during our stay with a party of 10. We arrived that evening as a party of five Mr & MrsFussie, MissFussie and Fussie friends.

For a Sunday it was not particularly busy a mixture of Spanish and expats staying in town. After greetings from Jamie we got down to the serious business of ordering from the menu.
Starters: Gazpacho with an avocado mousseline for MissFussie (very adventurous), seafood salad for me (a particular favourite), vegetable soup, prawn and ham salad.

Mains: Vegetarian paella (for 2 MissFussie & Fussie Friend), T Bone for me, a baby chicken and a sea bass fillet in marini sauce.

A bottle of Albarino and Marquese de Vitoria reserva were presented by Jamie (both really excellent, he knows what we like).

Desserts: Limited to a fig flavoured pannacota and a dark and white chocolate mousse. As MissFussie hadn’t ordered a desert Jamie presented her with a cheese mousse to try, a really nice touch.

Finished off with coffees liquors. Total cost 143 euros. Good value I thought.

All the food was well prepared, steak being particularly tender, good presentation, service as always exception all in the beautiful garden setting. Were we happy, you bet. So much so ordered a table for 10 for the Wednesday night. By then the full Fussie team would be in town.

Wednesday 30th June
By now Jamie had read the excellent review by PaulB, he wanted to know if I had. Had to admit at that point I hadn’t (caught up with it the next day).
Starters included much to Jamie’s surprise a ham and prawn salad with prawns for MissFussie. He thought she was a vegetarian, she thinks ham is not meat! A proper ham and prawn salad, ricotta ravioli, pesto spaghetti

The younger Fussies all wanted the renowned steaks and opted not to have a starter. Other mains included turbot for me (delicious), baby chickens, stuffed chicken breast and a vegetable risotto (prepared in anticipation for MissFussie but consumed by MrsFusssie, Miss has char grilled vegetables).

Desserts: a mixture of chocolate mousse, sorbets, and fried milk served with coffee ice cream what a sensation, which was passed around the table.
Throw in wines, lots of wine, coffees, tea liqueurs and MrFussie and MrFussieFriend picked up the tab for 279 euros. Its expensive inviting family over to PP!! But worth it.
Only down beat comment was that I advised two of the carnivores not have the steak rare, they opted for medium rare but felt it could have been rarer. They ate the lot though!!

Final night 9th July
Only four Fussies left in PP and MissFussie had returned to Scotland, Jamie was in for an easier night. Well he would have been, but he forgot the booking, he’s not perfect after all!!
By now I had read PaulB review and based on that I decided to have the magret of duck salad, was that good!! Other starters were a shared ham and prawn salad and ravioli. Mains were Pork medallions for me, two chicken fillets in pepper sauce and another baby chicken. By now the wine was getting to me (we had a couple of bottles of another Jamie Albinario suggestion, really excellent and a half bottle of Marques Vitoria for me). For desserts crepes and fig flavoured pannacota followed by coffee and liqueurs

A final memorable night cost was somewhere around 130 euros.

The new courtyard setting is wonderful on a warm summers evening, customers included a large party of Spaniards that evening as well as expats and tourists. Well worth visiting. Appears we had missed Sparky and Mr & Mrs Smiddy who were in on the 5th July. Maybe next time we'll meet.

Mr Fussie:)

Belladonna 12-07-2010 21:37

I don't blame you for making it yet another special O'Lume thread! As surprised converts ourselves last year, these threads just get better and better and I can't wait to go there again in September! I will be VERY surprised and impressed if he remembers us though! May have to go a couple of times to sample a few more dishes though!;)

PaulB 12-07-2010 22:02

Excellent review, Mr Fussie!

Three times in one week? I think it will be the same for us next year (or maybe sooner, who knows?). You must tell me about the turbot (razor clams in crayfish sauce?). You got fried milk!! I thought he didn't do it anymore!!

TheFussies 12-07-2010 22:25

Belladonna,
I'm sure he will remember you, he's that type of person good at recognising past customers.
PaulB,
For the turbot I went on Jamie's recommendation, it was superb. It was supplied on one condition that I'd to have the fried milk. I did say I thought it was no longer on the menu and it wasn't. It had already been prepared so he was insistent that I try it again. It would be worth asking if any is available on a future visit
Mr Fussie

BonysLad 13-07-2010 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 46733)
I will be VERY surprised and impressed if he remembers us though! May have to go a couple of times to sample a few more dishes though!;)

Bella,

An Amnesiac would remember you , Babe :D:D

Mr Fussie,

Great review

BonysLad :)

Belladonna 13-07-2010 09:40

You always know the best chatup lines BL! LOL!;)

Smiddy 13-07-2010 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 46733)
I don't blame you for making it yet another special O'Lume thread! As surprised converts ourselves last year, these threads just get better and better and I can't wait to go there again in September! I will be VERY surprised and impressed if he remembers us though! May have to go a couple of times to sample a few more dishes though!;)

Belladonna,

I kid you not! Not only will he remember you he will remember what you ordered! Try him!

Smiddy 13-07-2010 11:00

Not wishing to overdo the praise, but there is a leading German food critic visits from time to time, his forthcoming publication will include the following review:

"for regional cooking this is not the the best restaurant in Mallorca.................. it's the best in the Mediteranean"

Praise, indeed!

cherylbb 13-07-2010 12:22

Thanks for a great review Fussies. Can't wait to try it in a couple of weeks.:)

BonysLad 13-07-2010 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiddy (Post 46749)
Belladonna,

I kid you not! Not only will he remember you he will remember what you ordered! Try him!

Yeah,

And I bet he remembers what Snowy and I said about her as well !!!!

BonysLad :D:D:D

Timberman 13-07-2010 18:36

If I have trouble getting a table when I'm there in August I'll blame you lot for singing the praises of this restaurant all the time:). We all now it's very good now keep it to yourself;)

Jaime table for 2 in the court yard Monday 16th August please. Thanks:D

Timberman

Belladonna 14-07-2010 08:20

Now thats an idea, as Jose reads all this, perhaps we can start an online booking thread!!

And I am now getting extremely worried re BL's comments and may have to go in disguise anyway!:o

PaulB 14-07-2010 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 46786)
Now thats an idea, as Jose reads all this, perhaps we can start an online booking thread!!

Jose who??

Sparky 14-07-2010 08:37

Paul it's obvious, Bella would like to book a table at Bony's ;);).

PaulB 14-07-2010 08:42

That's what I thought! :D