Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   O Lume (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/626-o-lume.html)

JH02JLH 08-09-2007 23:11

O Lume

O Lume has an understandably fantastic reputation on this forum with many fans who’ve eaten there and enjoyed their meals. This was our second visit and when we arrived there was only one other table occupied. Jaime recognised me from last year (and the forum!) and we took a table near the entrance.

Jaime is a great host and his restaurant deserves to do well because of the level of service he offers to those who dine there. But one thing struck me over the evening and that is the lack of atmosphere, which is a difficult problem to resolve with O Lume’s location. Empty restaurants make me nervous and I feel that every move I make is being watched. Up to a point Ca’n Costa suffered from this as well but this holiday we noticed it was busier than last year. O Lume is tucked away down a side street, well away from the hustle and bustle of Puerto Pollensa and despite fans going out of their way to find it, the night we visited it was very quiet.

It didn’t help much that my daughter was suffering from a painful ear and wasn’t really in the mood to be anywhere but tucked up in bed, so apologies to Jaime for leaving so hastily at the end of the evening! Anyway, our meal started off with little appetisers of fishy croquettes which the children subsequently ordered as a starter. Hubby went for the Serrano ham while I chose the dish I had last year – the grilled vegetables which were delicious.

For our main courses, the children wanted the whole baby chicken each and looking back I think they would have done the meal justice, but Jaime suggested they have a half portion. Hubby chose lamb chops while I went for the veal steak in a mushroom sauce. Our choice of wine was the beautiful Son Bordils Syrah which is one of my favourites.

My veal steak was huge and had more blood than I would have preferred, but the mushroom sauce was delicious and my daughter enjoyed the small piece I offered to her. Hubby’s chops were equally delicious but being a real carnivore he would have liked them to have been a little bigger and more meaty! The meals were accompanied by home-made chips and grilled vegetables.

I was unable to finish my main course because of the size but luckily hubby found room for some as I hate leaving good food. By now, my daughter was in a lot of pain with her ear so we called for the bill, and we were given a lovely liqueur and gorgeous chocolates to round off our meal.

If Jaime could somehow miraculously move his restaurant to the square in old Pollensa with outside tables to catch the cooling night breeze, he would be a millionaire in no time. It’s such a shame to see mediocre restaurants attracting huge numbers when Jaime has everything you need for a fantastic meal except that elusive prime location.

The bill came to 92 euros including wine and soft drinks.

Jane:D

lizglass1 08-09-2007 23:12

O Lune is a big favourite with us.

One of my boys has had lamb chops in every restaurant in the
port.
The spansh lambs are a different shape form the ones we get here. Either that or its the butchers that differ. More likely the latter come to think of it.
The bone is left very long but the meat is smaller.
They are very tasty though.

We go for the T-bone which is delicious, the salads and seafood.

We don't go in big for desserts but the ice-cream is great at O'lune.
I like the fact that it's not too busy so don't want it moved in case it becomes too popular, then changes.

Maybe Jaime will read this and try to create an atmosophere.

looking forward to eating there soon.

Right enough, if he reads that he'll probably shut for a holiday as I think my boys might be a wee bit much for him.

snowy2007 09-09-2007 03:00

Right Jamie time to get the candle's out, fairy lights soft music maybe Spanish guitar must have speaker outside so people can here the music dim the lights very low now we are getting there.

All we need now is people firstly fliers handed out on the front how about 10% discount with flier or free bottle of wine per couple.

The people flock in headlines Jamie takes on extra staff if only,

Jamie I know for one you read the post, it must be soul destroying for you but please stick at it you have the right food but wrong ingredients but who knows it may come I do hope so.

JH02JLH 09-09-2007 04:11

Quote:

Maybe Jaime will read this and try to create an atmosophere.
I don't think that one person can "create" an atmosphere. It's something that just happens and it does involve a certain "buzz" you get when a group of people are gathered together.

I've been to places and noticed a "happy" atmosphere, or a "relaxing" atmosphere or a "threatening" atmosphere. To get this you need to have people. I run an Indoor play area for children and there are times when I'll turn to my parents and say - "Nice atmosphere here today!" and we haven't actually done anything different! It's like a collective feeling! However, at other times, I can sense a bad atmosphere and I just can't explain why.

O Lume is such a great place for food and I can't believe that there are truly mediocre places in the square that are attracting people despite the food being nothing special. If O Lume was full of people enjoying the fantastic food, there would be a terrific buzz and that feeling would spread.

We were seated by the entrance and I saw people hesitate by the door, look at the menu and then move on.

If they could hear people laughing and talking and see us all having a great time, would they have ventured in? It does take a certain amount of courage to walk into a quiet restaurant without knowing what you're going to get. Are they asking themselves why it's so quiet?

I agree with Snowy...promote the restaurant and entice people in with a freebie or a special offer. Jaime has a lot to be proud of and I would love to have walked in and seen every table full.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure next year to call in for a table without booking and be told they're full!

Jane:D

griffo 09-09-2007 17:16

We have never been to this resturant but for sure we will be and there will be 11 of us. for a lot of people i would assume its the wrong end of town.

Cheers

Griffo

Lala70w 09-09-2007 22:56

Hey Griffo - let us know when you are going. With 11 people you'll create enough atmosphere for all of us! :lol

Cocoa07 10-09-2007 19:36

Agree with Jane totally about the atmosphere - very quiet when we were there last year. There was another reason we didn't go this year though - the mosquitos.

The restaurant itself was fine, food lovely but the toilet was a nightmare - there were mosquitos all over the place. Made for the quickest visit ever! However, my mum is prone to having bad reactions to bites and despite have sprayed herself with repellent, was bitten and had a very nasty reaction. This really put her off as it affected her for a few days.

I know that Mosquitos are an everyday part of Mallorcan life - but I have never been to a restaurant that had a problem like this!

HikerBiker 12-09-2007 20:06

O Lume

O Lume was my best dining experience in PP.

BTW, I've had to contend with New York mosquitoes this summer, and can tell you that their Mallorcan cousins pale by comparison (bzzzzzzt.... Ouch !!!)

:D

billtosh 24-09-2007 22:42

Just back from the Port and agree about O Lume. If it hadn't been for this Forum, my wife and I would never have tried it. But speaking to Jaime last week, he said his busiest period is after October. Apparently more locals use it over the winter - he had 25 come in one night, all at the same time! Incidentally had a fabulous Saturday lunch at Ca'n Cuarassa. Sat overlooking the gardens and a Spanish wedding. The food was delicious and reasonably priced too.

Lala70w 25-09-2007 01:26

Just back too and had an absolutely fabulous meal at O'Lume. :p

How anyone can possibly say that O'Lume lacks atmosphere is completely beyond my comprehension. :rolleyes

Admittedly it was quiet (our waiter told us Sunday nights are the quietest) We sat in the courtyard - just as the only other couple out there left. There was another group of 4 in the main restaurant (fellow Scots) but other than that we had the place to ourselves. We were secretly glad - we were completely relaxed and very well looked after. ;)

It was a warm balmy night, the setting was nice with good linen. The music and lighting were subtle. I had my lovely hubby, an attentive but not overbearing waiter, a tempting menu and a fabulously extensive wine list - heaven! :p What else could we ask for?

We enjoyed little appetisers of egg mayonnaise with crusty bread, hubby had soup then chicken in a pepper sauce (2 whole chicken breasts!) and I had the delicious t bone off the bone steak which was absolutely cooked to perfection. We finshed off with devine chocolate mouse (hubby) and fig flavoured panna cotta (me - I can't begin to describe how delicious it was) then free amaretto liqueres and hand made chocolates.

I could not choose a wine as the sheer choice on offer threw me (think I will need LOTS of future visits to work my way through) so our lovely waiter (not Jamie, Snowy going by your photo) helped me choose - it was delicious but unfortunately I didn't take note of what it was (had poppies on the bottle but not Milflores :rolleyes ) :p :p :p

Can you BELIEVE that this wonderful meal (I am glad I had the smaller steak portion which I still couldn't finish!) only cost 49 euro? :eek We couldn't believe it. That included water and a beer! Two courses at Iru and Stay cost us twice as much and were nowhere even close in terms of quality. I am completely serious.

We had a wonderful night and will now visit every year. We've already been telling friends. Well done Snowy for bringing this little gem of a restaurant to our attention else we would never have found it. The food was fab, the service was just perfect and the atmosphere...well I suggest you go and see for yourselves.

;) But if your idea of atmosphere is 40 children running amok in the square, pre-cooked food, accordian players stumbling through the theme from Titanic for the 47th time then begging at your elbow, and the table service varying from being ignored to hurried out the door - then avoid O'Lume and eat in the Square! :lol

Lala :rollin

LK1960 25-09-2007 02:02

Hi lala

Sounds like a lovely evening. I first tried O Lume in August this year after reading the great reviews on the forum and I thought it was excellent in every way.

I'm managing to squeeze in a long weekend in PP on the 5th October (never tried a short break before) and because we'll only have 3 nights I'm struggling to decide which restaurants to choose. You've just helped me to make up my mind and O'Lume will definitely be on the (short) list.

Looking forward to reading more about your week.

LK

Lala70w 25-09-2007 02:13

Hi LK - you lucky, lucky thing - enjoy! :)

I would defo go for O'Lume but would avoid both Iru and Stay I am afraid :rolleyes Posts on these to follow - but it's all down to personal choice isn't it? and of course it all depends on how lucky/ what mood you are in on the night.

Have a nice break - I'd do a weekend in a mo - might even be convinced into an overnighter! :lol

Lala

Sharonh 25-09-2007 03:10

I am going to PP on 7th October and the reviews of O Lume have tempted me to try it. I was wondering if they had a reasonable choice for the vegetarian?

CathB 25-09-2007 05:06

6th October can't come soon enough...only there for a week this time so will have to eat out most nights ;) ..will definately make O'Lume top of the list...can't wait to try it...

Lala70w 25-09-2007 14:57

Sharon - O'Lume is a Galician restaurant (Northern Spanish) with lots of tempting fish and meat dishes.

I saw grilled roasted vegetables to start but didn't pay much attention to veggy mains - sorry :rolleyes - Snowy or one of the other regulars may know.

Lala