Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 18:22

Default Smoking ban

Is there a smoking ban in place in Restaurants and Bars yet? We're coming out in 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-06-2010, 19:28
Super Moderator

In a word...No!!
Old 23-06-2010, 19:36

Not yet, still smoky in most of Spain.

next year apparently.

alcudiapollensa: Smoking Law Passed

Mark.
Old 23-06-2010, 19:38

Smile

Thanks Sparky
Old 29-06-2010, 19:15

Just got back today, Robbo. Absolute heaven having a fag between courses or in a bar with a beer without having to leave the place. Can't see the ban being enforcable in Spain even if it's the law. God bless 'em!
Old 29-06-2010, 22:56

Just wait PaulB - in a couple of months the likes of you and I will be waist deep in the sea having a ciggy (only place left to go) only to be dragged off by the powers that be for being an illegal mooring!
Old 07-07-2010, 18:57

Think i read the ban comes into effect 1st Jan next year. Smoking within bars will be banned with smoking on the terraces allowed. Hopefully this will be enforced properly this time, it makes sense, non-smokers can enjoy a meal with-out having to breathe in the smoke and smokers can enjoy their ciggie outside in comfort, a happy medium surely?
Old 07-07-2010, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Think i read the ban comes into effect 1st Jan next year. Smoking within bars will be banned with smoking on the terraces allowed. Hopefully this will be enforced properly this time, it makes sense, non-smokers can enjoy a meal with-out having to breathe in the smoke and smokers can enjoy their ciggie outside in comfort, a happy medium surely?
Smiddy

How about this as a compromise. Let the smokers go inside for six months of the year when it is sweltering. Then you can enjoy a nice seat on the terrace without cigarette smoke in your face. In the winter months the smokers can go outside again and the non smokers can enjoy the warmth and comfort during the colder months.

Adios

Dave
Old 08-07-2010, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
Smiddy

How about this as a compromise. Let the smokers go inside for six months of the year when it is sweltering. Then you can enjoy a nice seat on the terrace without cigarette smoke in your face. In the winter months the smokers can go outside again and the non smokers can enjoy the warmth and comfort during the colder months.

Adios

Dave
Excellent idea Dave, you get my vote!!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01

Inflamatory subject! Pun intended but irresistable. And yes, my vote too! But only in jest of course!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11

actually just remembered that we were in Cellar La Parra and there is no smoking allowed indoors now
Old 08-07-2010, 13:14

Wow! Now that does surprise me as its a real locals restaurant. I wonder how long that will last?! I'm impressed.
Old 08-07-2010, 14:33

Wonder if Spain will see the demise of bars on a scale that we have seen with pubs in the UK?

I don't smoke and never have done but I have honestly never had a problem with people smoking in bars, pubs and restaurants. My husband and parents do smoke and there was never an issue when we ate out.

I think that there are far worse things going on in the world to get upset about and get fed up with nanny states focusing on one easy target and ignoring real problems.

Apologies for going slighty off topic but it irritates me!

Stepping away from the soapbox now.....
Old 08-07-2010, 15:01

There are always two sides in a debate cocoa and each view is as worthy as another. Personally, I don't smoke but did years ago. Like many ex smokers I am very anti but that is my view. I really do not care where anyone smokes as long as it doesn't have an effect on me. I think that is the point really - passive smoking has been connected to nasty illnesses so others smoke does have an effect on me. Again personally, I was delighted when the ban came into force over here simply because it gave an opportunity of visiting bars and restaurants and not having to face a fog on entry. I also totally hate smoke in a restaurant when i'm trying to eat. I was one of those who used to light up during courses many years ago. I realise now just how anti social that was. As an ex smoker I also hate the smell especially when it lingers in my clothes.
Will Spain enforce the ban? - emm - I'm not sure if they will be able to. With many nationalities and tourism it will be difficult to police.
I'm not one for the nanny state either - as a teacher we have seen too much of that - but the power of choice is important so the answer would be surely to do the same as here - designated areas for smokers. That brings its own problems!

PP smoke free? - I would love to see that for personal reasons but unrealistic I feel.

The actual smoking debate is one for the Tapas bar and i'm sure will bring with it many comments.
Old 08-07-2010, 15:03

Well said Cocoa. We were there a week ago and no problems, just like you say. The restauarants with frontage i.e. places like C'an Josep and Brisa Marina we could just sit by or outside the doors puffing away.

Our first night at Brisa Marina a Spanish lady woman in a massive family was sitting there in the restaurant with a small dog on her lap. All puffing away, too. Never in England. I can't really see the Spanish adhering to a law should it be introduced, or if it is, they will avoid the places where it is more likely to be enforced (as indeed will I). May kill some places entirely.