Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   A Gourmet Experience at La Balada Del Agua Del Mar (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/6154-gourmet-experience-la-balada-del-agua-del-mar.html)

Linguist 22-06-2010 23:49

A Gourmet Experience at La Balada Del Agua Del Mar

On only my second visit to PP, I went out to dinner with friends to La Balada. The service was excellent and the food although not the cheapest deal on the Pine Walk, was presented well and on a par with much more expensive restos in the south of France. We had three courses, good wines and I was so pleased with the cuisine that I returned a few days later for lunch. It is pleasant to be remembered on your return. On both occasions Lunch and evening the restaurant was busy though not crowded. Languages spoken Spanish French German English all of which nationalities were present during my visits,

liz d 23-06-2010 17:45

Sounds nice, not sure i know this restaurant, can you give a few more details.
Thanks
LIZ:)

Linguist 24-06-2010 22:33

La Balada del Agua Del Mar

Address is 5 Paseo Vora Mar .
You will recognise it by the large fig tree that shades the terrace. You will find tables for about 18 on the terrace with about 24 inside.
Phone to book a table is advisable in high season. 971 86 42 76

Rosie34 29-06-2010 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linguist (Post 45714)
Address is 5 Paseo Vora Mar .
You will recognise it by the large fig tree that shades the terrace. You will find tables for about 18 on the terrace with about 24 inside.
Phone to book a table is advisable in high season. 971 86 42 76

Is this the one?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/...d33a3fdfa2.jpg

Rosie

Belladonna 29-06-2010 09:37

Well done Rosie! NOW I recognise it! We have wandered past this many times but never really observed that it is infact a restaurant! I know! Always in the back of my mind something has clicked about there being table cloths on the tables etc, but usually there have not been any customers there as its usually out of season that we wander that way. THIS year we are out in September, so will be sure to have a look in.

Sparky 29-06-2010 10:11

Yes thanks Rosie, i had never seen or heard the name before unfortuneately seeing the cat sunbathing on a table has put me off dining there. :eek::eek:

willywonka 29-06-2010 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 45917)
Yes thanks Rosie, i had never seen or heard the name before unfortuneately seeing the cat sunbathing on a table has put me off dining there. :eek::eek:

As a resident you should know by now that seeing the cat alive and well outside a restaurant is a good sign

clinkham 29-06-2010 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 45917)

Don't think the cat is a permanent fixture. The (I presume) owner, an elderly gent, has been there for as long as we have been going to PP. He was confined to a wheelchair when we passed last week. The surrounding eateries have gone through several reincarnations over the years, but this one seems be in a bit of a time warp.

sws97sdg 29-06-2010 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywonka (Post 45920)
As a resident you should know by now that seeing the cat alive and well outside a restaurant is a good sign

Especially a big fat happy looking cat like that one

Sparky 29-06-2010 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by willywonka (Post 45920)

That may well be true willy and i am sure the food is good but i do have an aversion to cats, hence my comment :).

sws97sdg 29-06-2010 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 45923)
That may well be true willy and i am sure the food is good but i do have an aversion to cats, hence my comment :).

I'm sure they have other things on the menu Sparky

Sparky 29-06-2010 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sws97sdg (Post 45924)
I'm sure they have other things on the menu Sparky

Very funny SWS, now behave yourself ;);).
To get back on topic, can anyone tell us what sort of food is served here. I am sure a few members would like to know. :D

Gommar Goffer 29-06-2010 13:57

I remember when this was still a house and then overnight tables and chairs and a menu appeared outside - I am sure back then they were just cooking in their original kitchen!

Rosie34 29-06-2010 14:59

LOLs :D:D- I knew the cat on the table would strike a few funny bones!!!!!

If nobody does before, I'll take a photo of the menu in October if you can wait that long. I do recall it seemed quite expensive but we may give it a try.

Belladonna 29-06-2010 15:26

Googled a few sites and it seems that it is generally thought of as being mainly a very good fish based restaurant - hence the cat probably!
Would this be a fair assumption Rosie?

allanglens 29-06-2010 16:10

From recollection of scanning the menu once last week it is a not inexpensive fish-based menu. Less pricy than Corb Mari, but a bit steep.

And thinking back I don't recall ever seeing anyone sitting out at this restaurant. Perhaps the tree puts people off - or more to the point, the things that fall out of trees!

allanglens

Rosie34 29-06-2010 16:11

Well, yes, he did look as if he has his fair share of the odd seabass or so! A real fat cat so to speak;) He did look very contented and not at all in fear of making an appearance on the menu - which will be a relief for Sparky if she ever decides to give it a try:)

sandrad 29-06-2010 17:55

i remember eating here a few times in years gone by and must admit i would never have known the name of the restaurant. I just remember the old guy being so attentive and the food great! When we last went he just had one young waitress, possibly chinese? Just has to be the best position in the whole of puerto pollensa though! can't wait to go in September again.

favie 29-06-2010 19:05

Lol....I have passed it a thousand times and could never have told you what it was called and it hasn't been mentioned on the forum before has it?
Son & daughter-in-law ate there in May.....asked them where they went, their answer " The restaurant with the big tree on the Pinewalk" they didn't know either Sandrad!! They gave it an excellent report though!
Always looked just too much in the shade for me but I suppose in July/August temperatures it would be ideal for me especially after hearing how good it is!!

bigbob 29-06-2010 20:36

and what Sparky says goes eh...................

Hector 02-07-2010 10:06

We have been going to PP since 1982 and he was already open then. He is French and,I think, his wife is Vietnamese and does the cooking. The young waitress may be his daughter. I'm sorry to hear he is in a wheelchair now.
I remember having Boeuf Bourgignon, beef curry and chicken curry at various times - nothing special and not that cheap but it is a wonderful setting. Also, he used to dish out the largest post prandial brandies I have ever had. When I protested (yes, I did) he would say "Ca c'est comme il faut, monsieur."
The fig tree is magnificent and he was kind enough to pick a fig for me when he saw me admiring it. It inspired me to plant one in my own garden and it is laden with fruit this year. It is a pathetic specimen compared with his but it always reminds me of what we have always called The Fig Tree Restaurant.

Linguist 03-07-2010 10:33

The cat will move if you speak to it nicely.........in any one of six languages ! ;-)
The menu is not cheap but the quality is good. A young lady and her partner are doing the kitchen and table service. CAUTION When figs are ripe WEAR A HARD HAT!

Linguist 03-07-2010 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 45903)

The cat usually sits on the chair in the lefthand corner, It is rumoured to be the reincarnation of the man who planted the three fig trees of which this is the one remaining,some two hundred years ago. I don't know how true it is but it's a good story f.or the gullible trippers.
I agree about the "Slack handful" measures of the digestif drinks.
Ask them to show you the Vietnamese Bottle on the dresser inside. SPOOKY!

suemo 06-07-2010 13:32

This was one of the first places we ate when we started visiting PP back in 2003. Back then the menu was quite small as I remember but we had the most fabulous meal, but it was a little more expensive than some of the other places. It was run by an elderly gentleman and his wife who were lovely. It was quite sad to walk past last month and see the gentleman looking quite frail and wheelchair bound.

Never knew what it was officially called but now I know!!

Suemo

Smiddy 09-07-2010 21:10

You could have ran a "name the PP restaurant" competition with this one and not many would have won! I always thought this place only existed for postcard manufacturers:)

Linguist 13-07-2010 22:31

A rock in the Pond or a Can of Worms?

I never thought when I posted my original note about my favourite quiet resto that it would cause such a response. I think ought to state I am NOT on comission.............YET:)!

SimonButlerPhotography 16-07-2010 21:13

Thank you Linguist for posting this. I have eaten here on two different visits - in 2006 and then again last month. I had no idea what the place was called but loved the location and the fig tree! Yes, there is mainly fish on the menu but they also do german style sausages and chips which my 9 year old loved. The mushrooms and bacon in tomato sauce starter was lovely too as was the house white.

car77 16-07-2010 23:35

My Parents eat here regularly (visitors to PP since 1976 and now residents in the port) and we have always called it 'Frenchies' Never known the proper name!! The guy is now in a wheelchair after being very ill and his wife is vietnamese. Daughter and boyfriend(fiancee?) are serving/cooking now and are absolutley lovely. My Dad always swears by their chicken curry - you can choose either 'picante' or milder! Apparantly it is fantastic and they go every week. The wife makes the most fantastic vietnamese spring rolls and she has often knocked on my parents door to give them to them - completely free! My Mum loves them! To us they are part of the Old Pollensa Experience!! Go On - give it a try!!

Car 77

Rosie34 18-07-2010 21:11

And finally, just found another photo wot I took - shows the menu - well I did try to zoom in on it but can only make out the restaurant name - but it is a good one of the fig tree - and the sleepy moggy:)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/...1c2d1564_b.jpg

mallorcaboy 20-11-2016 18:10

Is this place still going. When did anyone last see it open?

RUBY 97 21-11-2016 12:50

It is still receiving rewiews on trip advisor, very positive ones too.

pollensafan 22-11-2016 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 47079)
And finally, just found another photo wot I took - shows the menu - well I did try to zoom in on it but can only make out the restaurant name - but it is a good one of the fig tree - and the sleepy moggy:)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/...1c2d1564_b.jpg

Rosie, do you recon they will do that cat with Garlic? :)

Rosie34 22-11-2016 11:39

No - think it came with a red wine 'jus';)

pollensafan 22-11-2016 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie34 (Post 115624)
No - think it came with a red wine 'jus';)

Hmm, That sounds just "Purrfect " :rolleyes:. ( yes I know, time has not improved the quips I'm afraid )