Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 21:59

Default Fortalesa restaurant

Does anyone know if Fortalesa is still going ? I`ve not heard much about it on the forum recently and was wondering if so how is the quality?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 22:31
Super Moderator

Yes it is still going and still for sale.
Old 13-05-2010, 01:37

still going and for sale is one thing - but have you tried it lately sparky - it is one of mine and daughters favourite restauants and would love to hear any comments from anyone who has visited recently. we are out end of july and plan to visit (review pending of course). we are curious is the standard still as good or is it on a wind down?

curious gary
Old 13-05-2010, 08:47
Super Moderator

No Gary not used it since they served me still frozen food , a long time ago but i have never been back.
Old 13-05-2010, 09:45

Gary / Ironman,

We ate at La Fortalesa last May on our last night in PP. (I tried to drag the Missus to O Lume, but she looked in from the outside and I couldn't tempt her in. A common problem with the former location, I believe).

I know there are mixed feelings here about this restaurant (Sparks are flying, so to speak!), but we found it to be very good. The Maitre D was slick, and very professional - very attentive to everybody without being overbearing or too salesman like. He obviously knows his game very well. A nice man as my wife said at the time. We (wife, son and myself) ordered mixed Tapas to start with and he actually advised us he thought we initially ordered too much without being at all patronising. Very honest of him and probably correct due to the size of the dishes. After all, he could have just whacked it on our bill. Started with Peppers de Padron (unfortunately, no hot ones during the Russian Roulette game with my son), snails with aioli, crab croquettes, squid, bread & olives and a few other dishes. All dishes were very nice and generous portions. For my main course I ordered steak medium rare and that's exactly what I got. My wife's medium steak was just that - medium. The pepper sauce had a lot of bite (it was nice and peppery, and you could taste the brandy & cream) and wasn't the bland Harvester type stuff you often get in other places (take note C'an Josep!). Steak was tender and juicy and like I said, cooked perfectly to order. Can't really remember the vegetables but I remember finishing the lot (not unusual for me) and saying to the owner's wife I could have licked the plate clean. She seemed genuinely pleased. The restaurant was full (there was a very large party of Germans, plus quite a few people who were obviously regulars), although I would describe the atmosphere as "subdued". I.e. it was not the sort of place you could easily kick back and relax, although this is as much due to the diners (most of whom seemed to be talking in whispers) as the restaurant itself. I'm not a wine buff, but the house red was perfectly acceptable to me, particularly after a couple of cold beers. My wife got more than slightly merry on a bottle of nice dry cava. I don't do desserts usually, and I can't remember if we had them or not. We were actually the last to leave at around maybe 11 o'clock and most people had left by 10 or so. All in all a nice evening. First visit so I can't really tell you if it's still as good as it was, but I would say we will definitely return here in June.

Last edited by PaulB; 13-05-2010 at 10:46.
Old 13-05-2010, 10:42

I agree with all you say Paul we have never had a bad meal in La Fortelesa and Martin the owner is very helpful advising you on the menu, and is very knowlegable about the wines he serves. We used to think his wife wasn't very friendly but over the years have realised she's quite shy, which tends to comes over as a being a bit aloof! Once you chat to her for a while she's a lovely lady

I agree the atmosphere in the restaurant is subdued...rather like O Lume. I wonder whether these more traditional, slightly old fashioned places make people start to talk in hushed tones or if it's because your are inside so don't feel you can so readily 'kick back' ( I like that expression)

Being inside on a lovely evening and the hushed tones are what stop me going to a restaurant so we tend to only go to Fortelesa in the winter months when it's usually just the two of us and not a big crowd!!!
Old 13-05-2010, 11:46

I do hope its standard is the same. we unfortunately didnt make our trip last year, but in 2008 we ate there twice and absolutley loved it. in fact could have eaten there on more occasions but we found tribeca (only up the street) and loved it as well cant wait to end of july; so far on the list is tolos - 1st night usual
laz zarzales
la fortalesa
tribeca
must find el-posito (done 5km around pp last time, couldnt find it)
must try nicos (recommended on last visit)
stay - never knew they did a snack bar menu, just want to try the place at lunch time for the setting alone.
2 nights left open just in case we fancy a return to one of the others

gary
Old 13-05-2010, 12:51

Thanks for that everyone, I might give it a go next week, also on the list will be

Stay
El Posito
Los Pescadores
Bar Nou in Pollensa (meaning to try this for a while)

and as a treat are heading to `Jardin` in Alcudia after reading some good things
Old 13-05-2010, 14:52

Unhappy

Hi all

Currently doing some `hands on` research of PP restaurants
and can confirm that Fortalesa is as good as ever.
Yes they are up for sale but in no way winding down or letting
standards slip.
As I understood it there will be no change of ownership until at
least autumn as they wish to complete the season now they
have started up again.

Had some fantastic meals there and will be sad to see it change.

Cheers

Wizzard Your man on the spot