Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   eating in? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/5970-eating.html)

shaz4473 10-05-2010 12:11

eating in?

Although we will be eating out a few evenings on our week visit(this Saturday!) I was wondering if there are any good places to get a take away meal to eat at our apartment. Thinking that if we have been out all day it might be nice to relax at the apartment we are staying at - we are in the Bellresgard complex.
There is also a barbeque and I was wondering if the Eroski supermarket is best to get fish/meat or is there any other place people would recommend? I will be heading to the market at Pollensa on Sunday to get fruit and veg.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

shaz4473 10-05-2010 12:25

ps. forgot to ask also is there a nice bakery or do you get good fresh bread/ pastries at the supermarket?

Baron de Lay 10-05-2010 13:36

Eating In

The little Spar grocers adjoining the Bellsreguard complex sells freshly baked bread all day long. They also sell great pastries in the morning (or so my daughter tells me, as she has one for her breakfast every day!).

The Codfather in Calle Levant (town centre, just off the Formentor road) does great (if expensive with the current exchange rate) fish and chips, or whole cooked chickens to take away.

The Eroski supermarket has a good selection of meats, BBQ type fayre and a comprehensive wet fish counter.

You shouldn't have any problems at all finding food to eat or cook 'at home' ... Have a great time!

Sparky 10-05-2010 15:37

Hi Shaz,
Hiper Centro are better for meat than Eroski and for fish Barca de Bou is very good, both are in Vicente Buades and close to each other, one is on the left and the other is on the right depending on which way you are facing. There are several very good bakeries in the port. I hope this helps and that you have a great holiday here in PP. :D

1970onandstillgoing 10-05-2010 21:10

only one place for roast chicken golden lion near pollensa park hotel 30 years on and paco s chickens still to die for

bigbob 10-05-2010 22:08

yes The PINES Cafe /Bar not too far from you do a fantastic Roast Chicken and chips to take away, great to take back and enjoy and not too far away from you.

Bean Counter 11-05-2010 08:48

Shaz, if you don't mind spending a bit more, another option is the Ensenyat delicatessen in Pollensa. They have wonderful quiches, pates, meat (cooked or for barbeque), cold meats and some good wine deals. It's just down from an excellent bakery and cake shop!! You could either stop in on when you go to the market on Sunday - or it's a pretty easy drive from Bellresguard - round the back bypass road. Their website address is below. (not competent to get as a link!). Ensenyat Delicatessen-Carniceria,Pollensa-Pto. Pollensa,Mallorca,Espaa.

Another thing we did, after our visit to the Pollensa market, was to cook up a ratatouille-type vegetable stew that we put in the fridge and supplemented with olives, bread, cold meats as and when we wanted to eat in.

Remembering those alfresco meals, watching the sun go down in PP is making me very envious of you - wish I was going on Saturday too!

blue1970 11-05-2010 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 43373)
Hi Shaz,
Hiper Centro are better for meat than Eroski and for fish Barca de Bou is very good, both are in Vicente Buades and close to each other, one is on the left and the other is on the right depending on which way you are facing. There are several very good bakeries in the port. I hope this helps and that you have a great holiday here in PP. :D

Hi sparky, Planning on eating in more this year,which we never really done before, so will check these 2 out.Please can you tell me towards which end of Vincente Buades they are?The Joan XXIII end or the Mendez Nunez end?

Sparky 11-05-2010 11:28

Shaz, they are on the Joan XX111 end, if you are coming down Vicente Buades from Bellsreguard Barca de Bou is on the left and HiperC is on the right.:)

willywonka 11-05-2010 16:44

[QUOTE=Baron de Lay;43366]

The Codfather in Calle Levant (town centre, just off the Formentor road) does great (if expensive with the current exchange rate) fish and chips, or whole cooked chickens to take away./QUOTE]

The codfather is not alone in being expensive the prices charged by the spars are verging on criminal and 8 or 9 euros for a cooked chicken !! (2 for a fiver back home) if you are prepared to do the leg work you can still find places to eat out at reasonable prices. The resort is not just the square or the seafront try exploring the side streets.

MoMike 11-05-2010 19:59

And if you're planning on cooking yourself and on a budget, stop off at the Lydl in Inca on your way to PP. Shop with care and it's a great quality/value place to shop. The fresh (un-cooked) chickens are wonderful.

med777 11-05-2010 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970onandstillgoing (Post 43382)
only one place for roast chicken golden lion near pollensa park hotel 30 years on and paco s chickens still to die for

.... we will vouch for that ! Had one this evening, delicious ! and boiling the carcass as I type for stock. The chicken also came with a gravy. Worth noting, that they also offer chips or salad when u order.

Miriam

Smiddy 12-05-2010 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoMike (Post 43442)
And if you're planning on cooking yourself and on a budget, stop off at the Lydl in Inca on your way to PP. Shop with care and it's a great quality/value place to shop. The fresh (un-cooked) chickens are wonderful.

You obviously need a car for this, but it's a great idea, especialy calling in on the way up from the airport, the water, meats, cold meats, milk, cheeses, fruit etc are all great value and good quality. Ideal for stocking up, keeping you going for snacks. If you're on a budget, don't shop at Spar, it's far too expensive, nothing better stretching the legs in the morning and calling at Sparky's recomendations, the fresh bed, local tomatoes, hams are cheap and too die for. There's also a very good butcher just across the road.

Sparky 12-05-2010 15:36

I am in the process of setting up a new thread in the "Holiday Shopping" section. I will probably update this on a fortnightly basis and it will be for mostly pretty basic items like fruit, veg, meat, fish, bread and dairy products. I don't travel around the island shopping so it will be limited to PP but it will include Eroski, Hiper Centro and BFS also an average of the local market prices. Please don't expect me to know the exact prices of everything that each store sells and remember it is only intended to be a rough guide.
I hope it will be useful information for any of you who are coming out this year :).

mearsy 12-05-2010 16:24

That would be so useful. I have all the shops written down on scrap pieces of paper at the moment!