Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 18:48

Default Trencadora

This is the place that was Trencadora until a couple of years ago - then it became Babel Bar - and now it's Trencadora again? Confused? I was, especially as it's a bit off the beaten track and not really where you expect a restaurant to be (when you're standing at the top of the square in Pollensa, with the church on your left and Cafe Espanyol in front of you, take the road that goes to the right and keep walking).

Anyway, it is now apparently being run by the people behind Cantonet and it is GREAT. They've turned it into a trattoria, complete with red checked tablecloths and a guy throwing pizzas into the air - you might think this is a bit incongruous, given the very swish building and courtyard - and to be honest it is, but the food is fantastic. And really, really good value; pizzas at around 7-8E and a short selection of other Italian-themed mains such as a gorgeous beef stew for 7.50E. I had this both times we went, it was so good. We first staggered in the evening after the Wine Festival - amazed I remember anything about it, but I do remember that it was full of locals. And then we went again during our 'bonus' week - this time for lunch - excellent again. This time we had a table in the beautiful courtyard with the fountain merrily splashing in the background. Again, it was really busy - always a good sign, especially as it has not been open for long.

I really hope this does well as the setting is second to none and the food is as good as anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 25-04-2010, 19:04

That sounds great Kate

We used to love the original Trencadora so will look forward to visiting it again. As you say the surroundings are fabulous and the courtyard is really special on a balmy evening. A bit off the beaten track although only a few minutes walk from the main square. I think this has probably been its downfall in the past as i suspect most first and even old timers are unaware of its existence!!
Old 25-04-2010, 20:29

Fantastic! I've been waiting for a review on this one. I love a bit of drama, so will enjoy watching the boys throw their pizzas!

Thanks
Old 25-04-2010, 22:42

kate1...

anything for my OH that doesnt involve foreign food on the menu?

I am the poor disadvantaged soul lost in desire for lovely eating experiences but stuck with a husband who requires a daily fix of steak, nae sauces, burnt and if there MUST be veg... peas ( and that would be big fat marrowfat ones... ) !

....please say there is ???????

Miriam
Old 25-04-2010, 23:56

sounds like you need to come over on your own with a few mates and have a foodie week

actually beef stew isn't foreign is it ............... maybe , just maybe you could tempt him
Old 26-04-2010, 11:13

The beef stew definitely didn't taste particularly 'foreign' - not spicy or anything, just big chunks of meat (and potatoes - you might have to hide those!) in a tomato-based sauce. They had lamb chops too! They may even had a steak - to be honest I didn't notice - and several fish dishes, if you didn't want to go down the pasta/pizza route. They also did daily specials which were mostly fish/seafood the evening we were there. I'm sure you would find something! I did notice that when we were there at lunchtime the locals were tending to choose the meat dishes rather than the pizzas - and the Mallorquins do tend to like their meat big and unadorned by girlie things like sauces...
Old 26-04-2010, 11:20

There is a lack of veggie choices as well, which is why we have walked pass it many a time but not eaten there.

On island time!!
Old 26-04-2010, 17:46

This is good news,its a great setting,Im told it used to be an old almond mill and I believe some of the old ironwork is still there.Thewas excellent years ago but Cantonet food it also good. Sounds like worth a try.
Old 26-04-2010, 20:20

Cantonet do the most gorgeous fresh ravioli with lots of different fillings, so if the do the same at Trencadora it's definitely worth a visit

Jonquet you are correct it did used to be an almond mill and I think una trencadora means an almond press in Mallorquin.
Old 26-04-2010, 22:47

cd...
one of the bests trips was with my son. We both have similar tastes ( I wonder why ? lol ) and a desire to try new.
Cos I am in PP a lot more than my OH I sorta feel obliged when he does get out, to eat in places that he either likes or has a menu where he can have the meat fix. I feel guilty if we go to a my choice restaurant, cos I can really eat anywhere, so it wastes the exp for me ! hohum lol

kate1...
the stew would have been just about accetable till u got to the tomato sauce He likes lamb chops tho, and speaks good enuf spanish to maybe negotiate them well done and plain ! fingers crossed on that one

Think I should maybe just start a new thread... sorta OH swaps for fussy eaters?

Miriam