Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-01-2010, 13:07

Default Restaurant help needed

Hi

I am in the process of booking our holiday at the Illa Dor Club apartments which look perfect for our group of 2 families with both teenage and smaller children.

I have been to Puerto Pollensa, but it was about 15 years ago and I am thinking things have probably changed since then!

I need a bit of help - if I book to have breakfast at the Illa Dor hotel included in our holiday booking, it adds an astonishing 700 euros onto the cost of the holiday!!

As we are in apartments, we can get breakfast stuff in for the kids and the grown ups can meander to a nearby cafe for a more civilised start to the day.

My question is, are there cafe's nearby? I remember that the apartments/hotel are located down the pine walk but I really can't remember if it is isolated or if there are restaurants and cafes located close by.

Is the Illa Dor only a 10 min stroll away as I remember? Or a 15-20 minute hike?!

Additionally, any restaurant recommendations for the evening would be greatly appreciated. We love eating outside, preferably with a sea view with good local cuisine, reasonably priced.

Thank you in anticipation of your replies!

ns1993
Sponsored Links
Old 24-01-2010, 14:43

just read the reviews

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ead-first.html
Old 24-01-2010, 14:54

I know we all have out own idea's re what we want for breakfast but if it were me I woudn't even think about paying £700 for breakfast ........ lets face it the teens won't even want to get out of bed

You can get cereals and milk from the supermarkets, fruit from the market and you can get croissants, emsimadas and the like from 2 small shops only a stones throw from you

The Bonanca Market and the Spar which is just across the road on Bellresguard .......... people will post and tell you these mini markets are expensive ...... yes they are but nowhere near the cost of breakfast ......... the spar in particular is good for croissants as they bake them themselves in the morning so they are really fresh

We stay near to the illa d'or and always do a DIY breakfast ( except for Wednesdays when the men and teens go to the Joker for a full english once they are fed up with the market )

However, we also fisish our brekkie with a Caf Con leche at the Illa D'or outside bar which opens at 10am ........ great way to start the day

As for evenings ..... take Snowys advice and red the threads ....... we all have different taste but these will give you a good idea of whats available

Walk to the centre is in my opinion the nest walk in theworld, strolling down the pine walk is one of life's true pleasures

How long does it take ?????? ..... depends ....... if you want to you can do it in 10 mins walking briskly but on a warm evening or in the heat of the day and when you have slowed to holiday pace its going to be more like 20
Old 24-01-2010, 15:09

Thank you CD for your kind response!

So are there a choice of cafe's near the Illa Dor? From my memory, it seemed quite quiet but that was 15 years ago....

I have read the reviews and I am sure that we will find the restaurants plentiful!

Thanks again

ns1993
Old 24-01-2010, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
Thank you snowy2007

I have read the reviews, did I miss the one for cafe's? I can't seem to find that one.

The Restaurant ones are very useful though.

Thanks again for your help.

ns1993
Old 24-01-2010, 17:10

NS

Not sure when you are going to the apartments or who with but the Travel Club of Upminster sent me an email recently and have a few deals on at the moment for those renting an apartment. As they are an advertiser on this site I think it should be ok to post the information here. I think the deals apply to end of April. It could cut your breakfast bill in half.

* Stay three weeks pay two 12th February to 27th March
* Stay two weeks pay for one 3rd April to 24th April
* Evening meals at Hotel Illa d'Or available for 18€ per person per day (excluding drinks). Normal price 32€ per person.
* Breakfast at Hotel Illa d'Or available for 9€ per person per day. Normal price15€.
* FREE – one evening meal at Hotel Illa d’Or per person per stay (excluding drinks)

Adios

Dave
Old 25-01-2010, 07:25

I think the nearest cafe to where you are staying is The Pines an English run place on the Formentor Road about a 5ish minute walk from the I'la Dor, the Spar on the Formentor Road which CD has already mentioned has a couple of tables outside but not much of a view, they do fresh coffee to take away and a lovely assortment of cakes, crossiants etc and they open at 8am if you have a balcony with a nice view I think that is the nicest place to have breakfast. Not sure if Little Italy on the Pine Walk opens for coffee in the morning. If you want a proper breakfast you would then need to walk further down the Pine Walk about a 10/15 minute walk
Old 25-01-2010, 13:41

Smile

How long does it take to walk into town ? Once took me 5 hours but fortunately ( or should it be unforunately ? ) , Bar Katy is closed now !!!
Old 25-01-2010, 15:53

Is Pines the one run by a Geordie? When we were staying at the Pollensamar, we used to always go for breakfast down there, in a small place run by a Geordie. Formentor road i think. They did a great full English
Old 25-01-2010, 16:04
Super Moderator

I am probably wrong Jiggs but i think it was once called "Googlers" and was featured on "Passport to the Sun".
Old 25-01-2010, 16:42

Thats the one on the corner isn't it?, was closed for a long time
Old 25-01-2010, 16:43
Under Moderation

Thumbs up Great find for breakfasts!!!!

Hi there

I just thought I would drop a short note to hopefully help you out and save you some money. I have been over there on holiday a few times over the past ten years and found the Pines (which had been Googlers) had changed hands about four years ago. It was a stress saver for me. I did not want to be chained to the kitchen while on holiday - so, we would go into the Pines of a morning, have a great breakfast (really good value for money) and then head down the beach with the kids. They do a great Sunday Roast set dinner as well, the kids were always welcome and the folks that now run it were really nice. They even got to know our order before we had sat down!!! It was always clean and tidy, which, for me, is a big plus.
We are also planning our holiday again - probably our last with all the kids since the big ones are getting to the age of going with their mates - so we might bump into you all - we will be the ones taking up the corner seat at 9.15am in the Pines!!

Regards

Sue
Old 25-01-2010, 20:35

And before Googlers it was the Astoria sports bar run by an English guy who owned the Astoria night club in London.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:38

its a bit of a strange one that place ....... it should do well , look how well Coral Bar and Laroc fair, BUT no one seems to be able to make a go of it ... we ate there once when it was Googlers, we needed a meal and it was raining so didn't want a long walk. Food was reheated in a microwave ( could tell because my lasagne in a pot was buggling on edges and still frozen in centre.

It has the disadvantage of not really having a terrace area but I have always thought there was room for another good quality restaurant in that area .....
Old 26-01-2010, 00:23

Default The Pines

Hiya

With regards to the Pines (that used to be googlers), it has been run by the same guys for the last 4 years and have got a good reputation amongst us regulars, they seem to have been running it the longest that I have known . I have had an apartment just up the road for about 10 years and go over every 3 months. They do close in the winter season but are open when we go over for the easter holidays, right up till the October school holidays. Met the lads, (Bri and Rob) again over Christmas in the town and they are getting ready for opening up for the season, so this will be their 5th year - I think that is pretty good CD, not strange???