Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   TRIP REPORT: Short break in PP (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/5269-short-break-pp.html)

poshbeck@gotadsl.co.uk 02-10-2009 15:23

Short break in PP

Recently retd from 11 day break in PP. Weather mixed restaurants visited:

1st night Tangos/Ca Vostra service excellent all the old faces starters main course and a bottle of wine 65 euros. 2nd night O Lume have been before and the service always excellent but this time really disappointed with the food, especially after the rave reviews. Starters and main course swimming in oil monkfish casserole inedible! husband flatly refused to ever go again.
3rd night Tribeca's excellent starters main course sweet bottle of wine 80 euros highly recommended.
4th night Can Guarassa again excellent service and good food went thru the card 110 euros.
5th night Can Pacienci always one of our favourites full card again 108 euros and constant entertainment from Alphonse.
6th night stayed in absolutely stuffec couldnt eat out salad and chicken with bottle of wine.
7th night take away from Al Fresco chose all the seafood options around 50 euros love their salads but David is retiring this year and business is up for sale.
8th night again to Tribeca's around 90 euros but lovely food our favourite this year.
9th night Stay lovely setting good food 100 euros
10th night stayed in again struggling to eat anything just salad.
Final night Can Pacieni and shame we were the only people there on a Friday night. Business really down this year old regulars only going once this year if at all instead or 2 or 3 times a year.

Agree with some of the other comments a good wine more expensive than at home. Have been going for 20 years but PP really isnt good value for money compared to other places in Europe really feel some of the restaurants and Villa companies need to revise prices. Still loved it but O Lume now off the restaurant list.

snowy2007 02-10-2009 17:03

Did you complain at O'Lume if so what was the outcome.

Chemical Dave 02-10-2009 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by poshbeck@gotadsl.co.uk (Post 35896)
7th night take away from Al Fresco chose all the seafood options around 50 euros............. really feel some of the restaurants and Villa companies need to revise prices

Hi Posh - Good Post

Take aways need to look at prices also!!. Thats a week shopping for one!

Adios

Dave

Disorderly 02-10-2009 21:08

Thanks for a very interesting post, Posh.

We too are regulars in PP for many years, 2/3 times a year generally, but this year just once. As you say....better value elsewhere.

I was very interseted to read your views on O'Lume. To criticise this restaurant on this forum seems to generate the sort of response you might get for shooting Bambi and making a nice game stew! We have only been once and my wife refuses to return because her meal was swimming in oil. Sound familiar? Must be some oil fans out there!

Duncan

debz1 02-10-2009 22:38

I have to agree about the food swimming with oil at O Lume.
It has always been my biggest complaint about the place....that and a lack of, dare I say, atmosphere :eek:

Just go and make your own mind up about this restaurant. It's a bit like marmite ;)

snowy2007 02-10-2009 23:10

And I hate Marmite

Gommar Goffer 03-10-2009 10:36

I like Marmite, but in moderation ;)

GG

poshbeck@gotadsl.co.uk 05-10-2009 10:57

O Lume

I did'nt realise I would start such a furore! Yes I did complain much to my husband's embarrassment and the owner couldnt have been nicer offering a free sweet which was lovely but I would only repeat the comment that great care is needed when choosing from the menu and after 2 or 3 visits it can be very hit and miss. For us this is one restaurant which is too Catalan for us. I wish him well when he moves next year.

pollensa 05-10-2009 12:13

Poshbeck,

thanks again for your trip report.

I think you are quite right in that some items on the menu can be very oily (I've found the same!) & I'm glad that you did point it out to the owner.

But fortunately we are lucky in Pollensa and there are so many good restaurants offering a variety of cuisine that I'm sure you'll build up a great list of your favourites.

And before someone else jumps in, the cuisine at O' Lume is actually Galician & not Catalan but the overuse of olive oil can be found in a lot of Spanish restaurants - although I think it's improving ;)

And before anyone comments - please don't - PM me if you must - I've removed any of the posts on criticism etc. including my own - so that they don't detract from a an excellent trip report.

snowy2007 05-10-2009 16:59

O'Lume

Quote:

Yes I did complain much to my husband's embarrassment and the owner couldnt have been nicer offering a free sweet which was lovely
This is just the reply I would have expected from Jamie, and glad you accepted.

I would add he reads these post and does take notice if he think he should.