Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 17:28

Default Es Verger

OK, so this restaurant is not on the North East of the island, but it is very famous and worth the interesting trip!

From Pollensa head back towards Palma and join the motorway at Sa Pobla. At Junction 17 turn-off and head right towards Alaro. As you turn off if you look up into the mountains there is a large bluff (where Castel d'Alaro is) and just below and to the left, half-way up in the trees is a very large white building - it is prominent as it is the only visible building on the mountainside. This is where you are going.

Head through Alaro and follow the pink signs for Castel d'Alaro. At one of the key junctions there is also a green sign for Es Verger 4km. At this point the road is essentially single track. Much is made of how bad this road is. It is a track that has been randomly tarmaced - the patches have patches.

It is not severe, but it is narrow. There are plenty of passing places as you wind up through the olive terraces. It is a very beautiful place and the drive is not formidable like Sa Calobra or Formentor.

The restaurant is in a barn at the end of the main building and lunch can be seen wandering around outside as there are sheep everywhere!!

We went in the family, along with the famously old matriarch were lunching. It was a cold day so we had hot chocolate. Tables are simple and you share with whoever arrives. I was sat next to a South African pilot with JAL who lived in Palma.

There is a quite a wide ranging menu from snails, roast cod, veal, lamb chops, but the real deal is the Paletillas de Cordero - the shoulder of lamb. Slow cooked in a charcoal oven in a heavily seasoned broth with lager. It is served with a bit of salad and roasted potatoes.

The lamb is divine. It falls of the bone, especially if you get a blade piece, tender, succulent, tasty. The top is crispy and one or two bits will be chewy and exploding with flavour. These are mountain lambs with poor feeding. There isn't much fat! Wine is basic, decanted bottles of house white or red. There are basic pastries and desserts if you really want. But you come for the extremely famous lamb.

If you really want to endear yourselves - wear a Barcelona shirt!!

The lunch is 12 Euros and you get chewy bread served with very traditional (bitter!!) olives that are more astringent than any lemon I have eaten!

We took a large Tupperware box and took away two portions for Grandma and the Nanny. They loved it and there was plenty left for sandwiches the next day.

Highly, highly recommended.

Lunch is served at 1pm and they are closed on Mondays. I have no idea if they are open in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Old 22-09-2009, 17:36

Oh that brings back memories! I have posted somewhere about this restaurant, I agree with everything EXCEPT the drive up!! It is horrendous! Im pretty sure the leather on the car seats had my nail marks in it both sides! Wonderful walk afterwards too up to the the tiny tiny cafe and church at the top of the mountain. Needed it to walk off the lamb, and to chill out before the drive back down!
Old 23-09-2009, 13:30

Here is the menu

Old 25-06-2010, 08:00

Well we are back in town and will be making the trip up the mountain at lunchtime today - can't wait!
Old 25-06-2010, 08:53

Good luck with that! Thanks for posting the menu too.
If you are feeling up to it afterwards, take the longish walk up even further to the chapel at the top of the mountain - I'm sure its classed as a hill, but its a mountain to me! Take water though. I am not a walker, and we were not prepared, it started out as just a quick stroll before we took the car back down again, but we just kept going, but it took us about 3/4 to an hour to walk to the top. There is a little chapel, loos, and a little snack shop!! Unbelievable, although sometimes it may not be open, but you will have eaten enough anyway. The views are second to none, and there is a telescope there too.
It's worth it I promise you, some fabulous scenery to walk through too.
Old 25-06-2010, 18:52

If I was going I would do the walk first and then eat. Just means starting a bit earlier.
Old 25-06-2010, 20:19

After that hair raising drive up I could hardly walk from the carpark to the restaurant, let alone the treck up the mountain! LOL!
Old 25-06-2010, 21:43

Ah Es Verger, the one that got away! I'll get there one day, even if I have to wear a blindfold for the drive!
Old 26-06-2010, 18:09

I have a few photos on flickr re Es Verger and some of the views. I will try and put a few more on when flkr stops closing down on me!

Es Verger - Alaro - a set on Flickr
Old 27-06-2010, 19:26

Great photos Bella. I guess the drive and walk are worth the prize! In a way I like not getting to do everything I want to, as it gives me something new to do every time. Although, who knows when my next visit will be?!
Old 27-06-2010, 19:50

Love the photos Bella. Husband said 'emm could build a great villa there!!" typical architect! - Get back to your football!

Great set! In all the years we have been in Mallorca this is not on our list of 'dones' - will give it a go next time, although - that road!!!! Yek could cause me a few problems lol
Nice to see the menu too especially as a veggie! Like to know I can choose my own lettace leaf!
With views like these so easy to lose oneself in a world of ones own! - A geat place to be lol
Old 27-06-2010, 22:37

Next time I go I'm hiring a Defender
Old 14-07-2010, 08:26

Default A bit of history discovered.

Historic panelling found at Alaro Castle
STAFF REPORTER
IMAGES of the legendary knight defenders of Alaró castle in the 13th century, Cabrit and Bassa, have been unveiled on panelling in the castle chapel.
The discovery was made by technicians from the Diocese restoration department when they went to the castle to remove paintings from the Mare de Deu del Refugi altar piece. They saw that just underneath were hidden two polychrome panels representing the knights Cabrit and Bassa. Initial assessments suggest the panels could have been the altar piece originals dating from 1622.
However, Merce Gambus, History of Art teacher at the Balearic University and Director of the Conservation of Religious Art Heritage Group, was cautious yesterday, remarking that it was “still early days” and that all had been confirmed was that two historic panels had been discovered.

She said that it had “long been suspected” that the originals could be hidden beneath the oil painted cloth of the altar piece. In fact, above the area where the panels were located, there is an oil painting on wood representing Saint Joseph with Jesus.The technique used for this painting is the same used for the artwork on the panelling just recently discovered.

Gambus also pointed out that the two pieces were found “in a very poor state” which is going to make restoration work and giving an exact date of the originals, very difficult. Mateu Marcus, President of Alaró Castle Foundation said yesterday how very fortunate the historic find has been.