Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 06:56

Default Orange Lounge opp Daina

Another place never been into until this week as we thought children ( 14 year old ) were not allowed , (dont know why we thought that ! ) This is a lovely bar with comfy sofas never too crowded unless a Sat or Tues when they have entertainment which on Sat was an Abba duo !! Very nice girls who were very patient and spent about 25 mins after their show to pose for photos with children. We ll definately go again

Pansy
Sponsored Links
Old 25-08-2009, 20:00

Default Orange Bar

We often go to the Orange Bar for a drink after dinner. I always think there is a nice atmosphere and they do good cocktails - my Mojito was lovely ! Never been there when there is entertainemnt on though.
Old 25-08-2009, 22:12

hi Star

We went this evening when an Elvis act was playing and after 10 mins walked out as he started to ask where the audience was from and when he heard germans were sitting at the front statred to make terrible german jokes which made me and my family uncomfortable. he insisted on calling him helmut ,as it was more German and said that his grandfather had been to Germany once and never came back, more comments followed about the great escape , marching and even gay people, it was awful and I think the Daina should take note as his "jokes" were humiliating people and giving English entertainers a bad name. I like this lounge very much but wont be tempted back to see Elvis.
Old 25-08-2009, 22:27

This is just bad taste and embarrassing. I would have got up and left too - pity more people didn't follow your lead and didn't leave! Just not funny and very down market. I wonder if the Daina were aware of his material and how upsetting it was? Sometimes staff in some of these places are so wrapped up with their own duties that they may not be aware of distasteful 'comedy' unless it is pointed out to them.
Anyway - good for you for making a stand.
Eleanor
Old 28-08-2009, 16:41

We used the Orange Lounge a few times while were out in June. And Elvis was on one night. To be perfectly honest, he was truly terrible but did raise the odd titter here and there. When we were there, there were various Nationalities in the audience and he did manage to have a little dig at more or less everybody. I didn't think it was offensive at all, the trouble is when things are quoted out of their original context they do sound worse than they probably were. To be frank he was just a bit cheeky, but no more than that.

Having said all that, he was a bit out of place as the Orange Lounge is a lovely retreat so I cant see him being there much longer.
Old 28-08-2009, 16:56

Think I will skip the Orange Lounge anyway. For someone to get their kicks out of other peoples discomfort is totally unacceptable at any place at anytime in my book. It actually says more about the venue than the person in as much as they are happy for this type of 'entertainment' to continue. Perhaps the odd titter as you describe, was from those feeling awkward. Sorry if I come over too pc but having been in teaching and recruitment for many years I have seen first hand the consequences of put downs and I for one do not feel it is appropriate even more so in a holiday social setting.
I'm sure I will get an ear bashing for my views but thats how I feel - sorry!

Perhaps to have such strong views, I should visit to enable me to comment first hand. It could be said that guilty without trial comes to mind! So yes - In October I will visit and then up-date my opinion.

Last edited by eleanor; 28-08-2009 at 16:59.
Old 28-08-2009, 18:32

Hi eleanor

I completely agree with you, the people he was "joking "with looked visibly uncomfortable, other Germans in the audience where quite stony faced and I dont blame them, he was nt at all funny with his German jokes or his gay jokes, or "lets wake up the germans staying over there, they are up late watching the Great Escape". It was in very bad taste and made me my husband and 14 year old squirm. What was also awful was he drank people drinks who were near him and took cigarettes from there hands to smoke. I expected better entertainment from the Daina, maybe its me and I am also too PC but I dont find public humiliation funny.
Old 28-08-2009, 18:44

Hi Pansy, I am 100% with you on this one. What or who gave this person the right to think that this behaviour is acceptable? He obviously thought he was in a position of power as he held the stage and therefore was able to do and say as he liked. .Looking at it from another way too - many on this site, have commented in the past about PP keeping its 'class' and remaining a desirable place to visit. It could be argued that this sort of .'entertainment' is not for PP - although going back to my earlier point - not suitable for anywhere!
As I said before, it takes just one person to stand up and tell this person that he just isn't funny. I'm sure he would then find more suitable material or of course a more suitable venue - if indeed there is one!
Old 28-08-2009, 22:56

Yes , a lot of people on this site have the firm belief that it should stay an upmarket resort and one that shows respect to all the visitors no matter what nationality,colour or lifestyle preferences. I think this sort of entertainment has no place in PP and we were shocked that the Daina would give him a slot but I also realise that the staff are very busy , dont speak fluent English or may have seen a toned down version of his act. I enjoy the odd tribute act, the girls who performed an ABBA tribute were charming, spent lots of time having pictures taken with the audience and were fun to watch, I ve seen the Super Supremes at the Daina and Tina Turner at the Hotel Pollentia all good family entertainment but this "Johnny Valentine" who plays Elvis is after cheap unfunny jokes at other peoples expense and doesn't care who he offends.

Pansy
Old 29-08-2009, 08:27

Just to let you all know whilst in PP in july/August Elvis had a bit of trouble just before he went on stage the police were towing his car away just as the hotel staff spotted them and the hotel staff had to go and get him, the police were giving him some stick it was better than his act watching him plead to be let off.

As for the orange bar we went in when there was no acts on it was good sat up on the left and you catch a nice breeze very welcome that night in the heat.

Maybe Elvis should stay in his chip shop in Rochdale
Old 29-08-2009, 11:52

Was he singing "Dont be cruel"
Old 29-08-2009, 14:14

GPM nice one the way the police were talking to him i think he was asking iF he could rock in the jail house!!!!

Last edited by Rangers1; 01-09-2009 at 12:38.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:02

We saw Elvis one night and thought he was quite funny but can see how people could find him insulting, he came up to one of our group and helped himself to a full brandy and chocolate milk (cant spell the correct name), this wasnt the only drink he downed, bit cheeky really considering the prices in there would have been a nice gesture of the bar to bring another one over. The Abba girls were much more family friendly.
Old 01-09-2009, 13:54

Cor, what a bunch of toffs you all sound. The poor guy's only trying to make a living, its probably not his fault he's in the wrong place. As for guffawing at the poor fella's misfortune at him having his car towed away, well.....Haw haw haw.
Old 01-09-2009, 14:24

Go on, admit it. It was you wasn't it!