Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Which Restaurants Do Not Take Credit Cards? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/5003-restaurants-do-not-take-credit-cards.html)

risk 26-07-2009 13:20

Which Restaurants Do Not Take Credit Cards?

As money is a little tight this year I am going to have to flash the plastic in PP for those special nights out.

To save any embarrassing situations does anybody know which restaurant's do not take Visa?

Many Thanks

Sparky 26-07-2009 14:01

Hello Risk, i can't think of any restaurants that don't take cards. It might be a problem in some small bars.
To save embarrassment you could always ask before you sit down and order.:)

JH02JLH 26-07-2009 16:04

Normally restaurants who take cards will have which ones they take displayed near the entrance...is this right? We nearly made this mistake once in Berlin. The restaurant stated it did NOT accept credit cards but hid the information right at the back of the menu!:rolleyes:

Luckily we had enough cash on us! So, like Sparky says, it may be a good idea, if you can't see any credit cards displayed, to ask before you order!

Smiddy 26-07-2009 19:30

The only one i've ever had a problem with is AMEX.

Belladonna 26-07-2009 20:25

We signed up for the EasyJet card a couple of years ago at Palma Airport, but made the mistake of not telling them we wanted to use it on holiday in Mallorca! First time we tried to use it, it was refused - obviously! Simple remedy, same as bank cards, tell them before you go! Its a Master Card effectively and have had no problems with it since. Famous last words probably!

risk 29-07-2009 12:51

Thanks for all of the above. I find out on Friday (2 weeks before we go to PP) if I still have a job with my current employer so im just being a bit careful with money

I will be checking out the set menu thread just before I go.

Cheers

Sparky 29-07-2009 13:11

Hello Risk, i will keep my fingers crossed for and hope it all works out.

Belladonna 29-07-2009 15:15

Hi Risk, I think you will find that most places do a MDD now, or some sort of offer, so you will be spoilt for choice, from tea and cake at 3 euros to a three course meal with wine for about 16 - maybe a little more or less depending on restaurant.
As this thread was regarding "the plastic" - just make sure you inform them before you go, and keep them safe and in sight! Although some people have been known to use them as table steadiers and leave them there, not everyone will have the luck of returning and find them still there!!
Yes, they know who I mean!;)

A340 29-07-2009 17:35

The only restaurant I have found to refuse a card is 'La Bodeguita'.
I can imagine a lot of readers saying "WHO"
Its the small restaurant near the childrens play area on the recently built car park on Carrer Roger de Flor. Great menu del dia for about 8 euros but have your phrasebook handy as english not spoken.

Portofan 29-07-2009 18:34

Hi A340 and welcome!

La Bodeguita lives on I see.

Was going to ask someone to suss out and tell.

Tried the MDD a few times a few years back and really enjoyed, the entremesas (cold meats) as a starter was most enjoyable .

No English spoken then probably the same now.

Good selection of nuts, olives etc if you're just having a beer or whatever.

Sparky??

Maybe try it and tell us?:)

Sparky 29-07-2009 18:49

Already have Porto ;). We were introduced to it by some Spanish friends, behind the bar is a mural in tiles, was told it is of an area in Seville. Not tried the lunch time MDD but it looks really good and it must be as 90% of the customers are Spanish/ Mallorcan. Every time you buy a drink they give you a free tapas, fantastic. The Frito is especially good, well worth a visit because if you drink a few you basically get a free lunch LOL!!:).

Portofan 29-07-2009 19:00

Thanks Sparky hey that was quick!:)

ok to summarise

You don't need a credit card

Buy a drink and get a free tapas

Buy enough and you'll get drunk and will be more than amply fed

Or buy the MDD or on the a la carte and not spend a lot

You'll learn Spanish and maybe Mallorquin

Can't be bad eh??:D

:)

debz1 29-07-2009 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 33296)
Hi Risk, I think you will find that most places do a MDD now, or some sort of offer, so you will be spoilt for choice, from tea and cake at 3 euros to a three course meal with wine for about 16 - maybe a little more or less depending on restaurant.
As this thread was regarding "the plastic" - just make sure you inform them before you go, and keep them safe and in sight! Although some people have been known to use them as table steadiers and leave them there, not everyone will have the luck of returning and find them still there!!
Yes, they know who I mean!;)

I cannot for the life of me think who could possibly be so stupid as to do that :rolleyes: :D

Gommar Goffer 29-07-2009 23:01

My kind of place - can anybody sub me the airfare? :D

GG

Belladonna 29-07-2009 23:01

Lol! You would be surprised at the things I hear about! It must be sunstroke getting to the parts other beards would cover;)