Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 13:09

Default Tolo's July 2009

We had had a large lunch so at dinner time we thought a walk along to Tolo's for some pasta would just hit the spot.

It was our first (and probably last visit) to Tolo's I am afraid. Pasta was tasty enough although the exchange rate made it a little expensive (bread, 2 bowls pasta, 1 beer, glass wine and water 30 euros) and we enjoyed the brushetta type topping on the bread but the service was so bizarre and disorganised - it didn't make for a relaxing meal!

The tables are Tolo's are all crammed in together like Bony's so privacy was not an option but to make matters worse we were seated at the table right on the main waiters' thoroughfare.

The place was busy and waiters were running (yes running) about trying to serve folk - mostly back and forth in front of our table which had more than one knock with a hip. We were served in a distracted, haphazard manner - you know that no eye-contact thing? We were given alioli but no bread until I asked and then the pasta and bread arrived together (the pasta MUST be part-cooked or soaked in advance) THEN we got our drinks and the waitress tried to take the bread away! The bill came - overcharged which was sorted out without quibble in pen at the table (don't think they had a CLUE what we had had!)

Whilst waiting for the change from our bill we had to turn down food then coffees which were meant for other tables.

Still waiting on our change, a waiter stripped our table completely bare and then received dogs-abuse right in front of us from an other waiter for doing so!

Phew - what stress! I tell you though if you want a quick meal then Tolo's is for you. We were in and out in about 30mins - if even that! Not exactly my idea of relaxed dining.

Lala
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2009, 13:25

What time was this lala, was it early and was it mainly tourists or locals?
Old 13-07-2009, 14:56

It was around 845pm SWS and it was mainly tourists.
Old 13-07-2009, 15:00

I suppose this is their busiest time, so larger places do overstretch themselves with so many table to cover.
Coffee time now?
Old 13-07-2009, 16:10

yep - and now home time - don't want to overdo it on the first day!
Old 14-07-2009, 09:20

This is a shame that you had such a bad experience with the service. We took lunch at Tolo's in June and it was a completely different experience, leisurly but efficient service and the scrambled eggs with prawns was to die for. Overall the quality of the food is normally excellent. I think most restaurants would get a little stressed at peak times during the high season.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:13

Tolo's will always be busy at peak times especially as he is the first major restaurant heading in the the port from Pollensa Park end.

He built his reputation on good food and fast service even when he was out at llenare - he always used to run while serving. Now he takes a more leisurely involvement in the business.

GG
Old 14-07-2009, 12:28

Running is the thing at Tolo's. We were there twice over the last couple of weeks and the food was good, staff pleasant but don't get caught in the central motorway otherwise you'll end up wearing various dishes.
Old 14-07-2009, 20:21

In defence of Tolos, we have never eaten there for lunch or dinner......but it has been a regular "last morning" breakfast stop on the way to the airport. Breakfast there is great value, nicely cooked and with proper fresh orange juice. Relaxed, friendly service at breakfast.
Old 15-07-2009, 15:48
Under Moderation

First post, although have been a member for some time
Again in defence of Tolo's....we've been using the place each time we've been on holiday for about the last 10 years. The main members of staff have been there for that length of time. We take an apartment in Pinaret each year so Tolo's is very handy for breakfast each morning...can't have Mrs Mac doing any cooking. Usually dine in the evening twice during the fortnight and yes it can be hectic but for us it's part of the "entertainment" and we usually take an aisle table, to be in the hub. Sorry LaLa that you had a bad experience but I'm sure your visit was the exception to the rule
Please give them another go
Old 15-07-2009, 19:28

I'm also going to defend Tolos as its an escape from the beach for a cold beer, and the pizzas are fab. Just round the corner from us as well so it's very handy. Tolo is a friendly chap and as B374 says has kept the same core staff for years, with the occasional newbie. Abmittedly we don't have dinner there ...tends to be lunch or just popping in for a drink...but far from being rushed we couldn't leave once!! Every time we asked for the bill the waiters kept bringing us more beers 3 pints each extra, on top of what we'd already had, and we all staggered home very happy
Old 16-07-2009, 07:45

Well it seems that Tolo's has a few fans - sorry guys but I can only report on our recent experience.

From what you are all saying it sounds like as a cafe for breakfast, lunch or just drinks it is a fun place to go - especially if they know you - but for me waiters running and rushed inattentive service is not my idea of fun.

Sorry!
Lala
Old 16-07-2009, 15:34

Lala70w

We had a terrible experience in Tolos last year. It was the worst meal we have ever had in PP - cold, tastless food and when we complained very rude staff.

We eventually spoke to a lady who works there who was English and she was extremely apologetic. Our 120 Euro bill was then reduced to 30 Euros - we basically just paid for the drinks.

I am not a fan and when we went back this year at the end of June it was 1 restaurant we stayed well clear off!

Jupiter
Old 11-01-2010, 21:33

1st post, but been using this forum since first bringing my wife and daughter to pp in 2003.(happy memories coming as a kid) No pp holiday last year due to my wife giving birth to our 2nd daughter. So stayed well away from the forum to help with withdrawals Just booked for our 1st trip as a foursome
We've stayed at both ends of the resort over the last 7 years, but we decided Pinaret is the ideal location for us and have stayed in this area on our last 3 visits. And Tolo's gets plenty of hammer by me in particular.
My early morning dip in the sea is followed by a cafe con leche and the paper at tolo's.(after the first 2 mornings I dont even have to ask for my coffee)
Then it's back to the apt. with croissants, and drag the girls out of bed.
If it's a day at the beach, it's frequented with many hops over the road for a ice cold beer at Tolo's(liquid gold)
If It's a day at the pool, it's probably restricted to the one visit for lunch-The rissoto del mare is my favourite-and a few pints of the liquid gold.
Food,service,location and morning coffee's are spot on. Plus the place is spotless.
For some reason we have never ate at Tolo's in the evening.So many quality restraunts in the port and town.May try in July. Can't wait....It's been a long 2 years.
Old 11-01-2010, 23:57

cant say we are regular visitors to Tolos but have had a few long lunches there over the years and never had anything to complain about ...... as with many places there can be good days and bad