Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 16:55

Default 5 Days in Pollensa

Arrived last Friday for a short visit. Weather wasn't to good, rain and quite cold
although the house we were renting was warm and cosy once we lit a log fire.
We braved the cold to sit outside Il Giardino (under an umbrella) with a coffee and a pastry from their shop next door. Square was deserted with the odd person passing by wearing coats and waterproofs.

It had stopped raining by the time we were ready to go out and eat in the evening and we decided on Font De Gal - they do a two course meal for around 19 Euros or 3 courses for a few Euros more. I had home made Haggis & hubby had warm bacon salad for starters followed by Venison with sweet potato mash. I had Sea bass on a leek mash for mains. The meal was pretty average and we skipped on sweets but had a coffee. My daughter had home made hamburger with chips from the kids menu but unfortunately the chips were undercooked in the middle. With a bottle of house white and a soft drink bill was around 65 Euros. Didn't feel there was much atmosphere and we won't be rushing back.

On Saturday it was a lot brighter and we went for a stroll around the Port.
Sun came out by early afternoon so we decided on lunch outside at Stay. It felt great to be eating outdoors, looking across the bay and feeling the sun on you. The grilled sardines were washed down with a couple of glasses of wine and finished off with coffee and chocolates -heaven!
Rest of the day was spent relaxing in the sun.

For the evening meal we visited Picolo Forno (a favourite of my daughters) Food was up to it usual high standard and we enjoyed a starter to share which was a mixture of hot & cold anti- pasti. I had crab filled ravioli, hubby a calzone and daughter a whole grilled sea bream. The place was buzzing and they were doing a fair trade on takeaways too. With wine, soft drink and coffees the price was a very reasonable 64 Euros considering the amount and standard of the food.

Sunday was a lovely sunny day and was spent at the market and relaxing in the sun. In the evening we went into the port to visit another favourite of ours Can Ferrar. We ate inside and it was cosy with a few tables taken by tourists and locals and the atmosphere was good. We had bread olives and alioli followed by a fantastic crab and fish Paella. The jug of delicious Sangria seemed to go on forever. Daughter had Hamburger and chips plus a soft drink and we couldn't believe the bill of only 38 Euros.
Afterwards we went to Bonys for a brandy & lemonade for me, Coffee for hubby (he was the driver) and hot chocolate for my daughter. We were charger only 7.50e for these and told that was 50% off which was fair enough but at 15e I would have felt robbed!

Monday was again a beautiful sunny day we spent it at Son Serra on the beach and enjoying lunch at the Sunshine bar. It was a lovely menu of the day for 9.50 e including smoked salmon starter. Pork in a sauce with potatoes and a mixed berry sponge with cream for dessert.

It was actually warm enough to sit outside at Can Olessa in the Evening and it was nice to see children playing in the square. We felt the meal here was over priced and realised afterwards perhaps we should have checked the bill. It came to 90 Euros our most expensive meal to date and we only ordered a starter of the small green peppers to share (no hot ones!) Frito Marinero for mains for us both with Salmon for my daughter. Hubby had a chocolate mousse for sweet and my daughter was disappointed the strawberry ice cream she ordered was actually sorbet! Drinks consisted of a bottle of house white, a coke and 2 brandies.

Tuesday was cloudy and rainy so we drove through the mountains to Soller and took the train to Puerto Soller for Lunch.
In the evening we finished our short break with a lovely meal at Il Giardino it again came to 90 Euros but this meal was worth every cent! I had king prawns Hubby and Daughter Sea Bream, lovely sweets of tiramisu and cheesecake. Drinks were house white, coke and two coffees.
A perfect evening was finished off with 2 brandies and lemonade and a coke all for only 6 Euros at Cafe Espanyol.

Can't wait to be back!

Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 17:36

Charlotte,

Great reviews and just to cheer you up it hasn't really warmed up since you left. Folks huddled in fleeces , dodging the rain so at least you had a couple of days sun. Heartbreaking to see young families here ( probably for a week ) and straining to get on the beach !!!!

Glad Picolo is up to it's usual standards, really nice food in my opinion.

Bet it'll be warmer next time your here.

BonysLad
Old 09-04-2009, 20:13

Great review, Charlotte. Thanks for sharing!

Jane
Old 09-04-2009, 21:06

Really enjoyed that Charlotte.

I was interested in your reference to C'an Ferrar and the the Sangria. In our early days of heroic drinking in the Port we used to reckon the Sangria at C'an Ferrar was the ultimate test. Haven't been near it for a few years now (older and more sensible so go for wine) hence I don't know what it's like these days. A very good friend of mine swears that he was still hallucinating the following day after we nailed a few jugs of it one night back in the late 1980s.
Old 09-04-2009, 23:30

In our experience the sangria from coral bar is the most lethal
Old 09-04-2009, 23:38

Default 5 Days in Pollensa

Really enjoyed your report Charlotte. Thanks for posting. We are renting a house in Pollensa for 8 days in July and I'm really looking forward to trying some of the restaurants and bars in the old town this year. Picolo Forno definitely sounds worth a visit.

Linda
Old 10-04-2009, 00:53

Great review Charlotte! I really enjoyed reading it after a grotty meal tonight in an overpriced Chiswick restaurant