Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 19:31

Default Dressing for dinner

Leading on from the chat about Stay and La Llonja, something that has never crossed my mind just did. Does everyone feel there is any kind of evening dress code in PP? Personally I have eaten in many of the places in the port and have always worn shorts for dinner and to sit in the square or on the front?

Have I been getting it wrong all this time? What are other peoples thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 20:06

For restaurants such as Stay, La Llonja (as mentioned) and Ca'n Cuarassa, Clivia or Ca'n Costa (as was) I would ask hubby to wear long trousers for dinner. My husband lives in shorts in the summer!

However, there are shorts and shorts...maybe you could get away with tailored shorts and a shirt, but not sure whether this would still be acceptable in somewhere like Clivia. Other places would be fine, such as restaurants in the square, or along the sea front and restaurants in the square in Pollensa.

For somewhere like the Illa d'Or, I would recommend long trousers as well. It's always a tricky question and one that has been debated on here before, I fear!
Old 02-04-2009, 20:19

you beat me to it I was just going to say we have been here before, I have never taken long trousers on holiday for 15 years and never been turned away from anywhere, although we avoid places it might be an issue anyway. But there are shorts and there are shorts, as Jane said proper shorts are ok not beach ones, and no football shirts either, just look around and see what others are wearing as a general view, if you are the only one in Newcastle's away shirt, it may be worth dressing up a bit.
Old 02-04-2009, 20:23
Founder

I agree with Jane but I don't want to resurrect the discussion on what people should or shouldn't wear. You do see men in shorts in the more family oriented places along the front & on the square & particularly places that are predominantly outside. But I think that some restaurants are seen as somewhere for a 'special' night out so people do tend to be slighly more formal - & that's part of the fun. I would hate to put on a dress or a smart top & trousers & then to go out with my husband wearing shorts & a t-shirt!

I also think that Mallorcans are less likely to wear shorts - they may wear jeans in most places but not shorts. I think that they would consider them as 'beach wear'.

Light-weight trousers & an open necked shirt or polo is fine for a smarter restaurant.

BUT there is nothing stopping you wearing what you like. If you don't mind being in the minority, then go for it!
Old 02-04-2009, 20:32

Sorry Zelda, my response was slightly tongue in cheek remembering previous posts on the subject, I agree with you about dressing up, I did in fact wear long trousers last year because we eat out in the town nearly every night and people definitely dress up there to go out, but in the port it is less formal, but if the waiters are dressed up like on the Pinewalk you are more likely to be advised to dress it up a bit as well
Old 02-04-2009, 21:05

Maybe a discussion held on here, but not one I have seen in my couple of years on the site? When I said shorts, off course I meant dress shorts and I generally would wear a decent shirt or polo, as I like nice clothing.

What I would say is that I have Mallorcan friends, have done for 20 years and we eat together every year. They wear shorts when we eat out?

Personally I think its an age/ era thing? That may sound rude to more mature posters, it is by no means meant to be I am in my 40's and have great respect for those who dress for dinner.

Really what I would like to know is where would the short wearers avoid for fear of embarrassment/ looks/ tuts or suchlike? I avoid Los Zarales for the salty food and the uncomfortable feeling I had wearing shorts there one night.
Old 02-04-2009, 21:08

runs and hides
Old 02-04-2009, 22:02

I think dress code is up to the wearer unless dictated by the establishment.

I'm 56 and although semi retired have no problem with wearing a suit and tie still!! with the tie done up properly!! I suppose its how we were brought up as well. My father worked as a fitter in a factory but always wore a tie. He used to say he felt undressed without it.

I always wear trousers, smart or casual summer, and a shirt in the evenings even just out for drinks, sometimes I have even worn a tie but that was some years ago. Its just the way I feel for myself and as my wife would dress up to go out, as Pollensa said, she would not like me to be in shorts and t-shirt.

It can also be a conforming sort of situation, short wearers obviously have plenty of confidence in there appearance, whereas some would need to conform to a supposed "code" to feel comfortable, to fit in.

Often a dress code is enforced to encourage a particular type of behaviour, like uniform at school. Clubs often have a dress code eg no jeans/trainers etc because they are trying to reduce the possibility of bad behaviour.

There is also a snobbish attitude to dress where they mistakenly assume poor behaviour is associated with more casual dress. Shell suits or Football shirts for instance can be, rightly or wrongly, associated with the behaviour of yobs at a football match, a small minority spoils the reputation of the many.

Modern fashion is weird to me now, just as my teenage fashion was weird to my parents.

My advice is be comfortable, be tolerant, be considerate, be courteous, behave as you would wish others to behave and have a great time.

My FlickR Photos
Old 02-04-2009, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1875 View Post

Really what I would like to know is where would the short wearers avoid for fear of embarrassment/ looks/ tuts or suchlike? I avoid Los Zarales for the salty food and the uncomfortable feeling I had wearing shorts there one night.
As I said Mark - I would ask hubby to wear long trousers in the restaurants listed in my reply to your first post. I would add smart hotels to the list as well. I think you can get a general feeling of ambience by the outside appearance of a restaurant?

I'm not sure you would get looks or tuts, but the feeling of being either under-dressed or over-dressed is not a nice one!

Last edited by JH02JLH; 02-04-2009 at 22:30.
Old 02-04-2009, 22:26

Really what I would like to know is where would the short wearers avoid for fear of embarrassment/ looks/ tuts or suchlike? I avoid Los Zarales for the salty food and the uncomfortable feeling I had wearing shorts there one night.[/QUOTE]

Mark my hubby often wears shorts to Los Zarzales and has never felt embarrassed or got looks or tuts. Was this from others eating in the restaurant because the owners of Los Z are the most friendly and nicest people and I would be amazed if you had been made to feel uncomfortable by them?

I agree they did have a issue with overly salty food last year, for a short time. This was bought to their attention and it is no longer a problem.

I think this discussion about dress code has been slightly exaggerated. As long as you don't look as if you've just come off the beach you can wear whatever you like. As in the UK you dress appropriately for the type of restaurant you are going to, but there are none in the Port that would look down on people wearing shorts and that includes Stay and La LLonja.

Last edited by debz1; 03-04-2009 at 09:26.
Old 02-04-2009, 22:33

"As in the UK you dress appropriately for the type of restaurant you are going to, but their are none in the Port that would look down on people wearing shorts and that includes Stay and La nja"

Very true.....I also think they would just be glad of your custom (especially this year!!)
As long as you feel comfortable with yourself......that is my motto!!

Last edited by favie; 02-04-2009 at 23:58.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post

Mark my hubby often wears shorts to Los Zarzales and has never felt embarrassed or got looks or tuts. Was this from others eating in the restaurant because the owners of Los Z are the most friendly and nicest people and I would be amazed if you had been made to feel uncomfortable by them?
My discomfort was not with the staff, who were very friendly. It was other diners. I get your point though and may return this year.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55

Default Dress Code

It's a personal choice, personaly i like nothing more than a nice shirt with cool long trousers. I have in the past worn tailored shorts with a nice shirt. I wouldn't dream of going to some of the smarter restaurants in shorts and t-shirt. A friend of mine was asked to leave the Tango as he was wearing one of those vest things, hairy armpits and all, there are limits. Some guys don't try too hard, come on guys it takes very little effort to go out smart, i've seen couples were the lady is well dressed and the guy looked as if he had just walked off a building site!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00

Why didn't you say hello to me smiddy, BTW we where in Jokers one lunchtime a few years ago and a guy came straight off the beach wet and covered in sand and sat down on one of the cushions outside, the waiter wasn't very impressed at all
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59

I've been at C'an Pacienci before when Dudley (the owner) has turned people away because they weren't dressed appropiately but I couldn't imagine this happening anywhere else, as long as you were not wearing union jack shorts and a string vest.
Closed Thread