Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-2009, 13:43

Default Which Restaurants?

Hi Pollensa

I've been looking through the bars and restaurants section and am wondering if there is anywhere in the forum that members give a star rating or similar for restaurants they have visited.

We will be in PP in June this year but want to try different eating places rather than go back to the same ones as previous years, but reading through the reviews, a restaurant may get a positive feedback from some members while others give negative feedback. It would be just my luck to go to a restaurant, after reading positive feedback from one member, not knowing that about ten others or so have given negative feedback.

Hedgey
Sponsored Links
Old 21-03-2009, 13:47

I think you may have answered your own query there! Thats probably why its impossible to give a star rating as we all seem to have differing tastes and different opinions. The only way to work it all out is to try a couple yourself; check if your opinion of it matches someone elses, then you can usually agree with their recommendations!
Old 21-03-2009, 14:23

Hi Hedgey, I think thats a good idea! Don't know if its possible but you could do something like 'Amazon' does on reviews & you can see how many 5*s, 4*s, 3*s etc. restaurants get & then make your own decision on whether to visit or not.
Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by cherylbb; 21-03-2009 at 14:26. Reason: addition
Old 22-03-2009, 14:17

Hi Cherylbb

That's exactly what I was looking for somewhere in the forum. If there was some sort of rating system for restaurants, bars etc, maybe an average rating for each place, it would help you make an informed decision on whether to visit it or not. Belladonna is quite right, we all have different opinions (one mans meat is another mans poison) and that's why I was hoping there would be a rating system from forum members.
There is a thread 'My 5 favourite restaurants'. Maybe in the future a rating for restaurants could be included in it? Just an idea!

Hedgey
Old 22-03-2009, 14:28

Thumbs up

It could be done with a little thought. If we had particular catagories that were marked out of 10 for example. Along the lines of Comfort; Service; Range of choices; that sort of thing, perhaps a plain Yes / No for something like Complimentary bread and olives, availability of childrens menu,
as well as marks for portion size, and taste of food obviously. There would have to be a different posting thread for each restaurant so it was easy to compare and see if we all thought the same for each individual restaurant.
Now see what you've started Hedgey!!
Old 22-03-2009, 15:08

Default bars & restaurants

you shouldn't be disappoined if you eat at los faroles,brisa marina,stay or can currassa, at least I havent been over many years and many meals, both lunchtime and eveniing
Old 22-03-2009, 15:50

Thumbs up

Great ideas Belladonna! Everyone's got their own opinions & it would soon build up.Wonder if it could be done?
Old 23-03-2009, 12:30

Default Restaurants

I think if you go for the general concenus you wouldn't go far wrong.
Old 23-03-2009, 15:44

There would need to be a template of a set amount of questions, I think between 6 and 10 would be ample. You dont want too many that would make things far too complicated and boring!
Old 23-03-2009, 16:11
Founder

Hi all,

I'm afraid it isn't possible to set up a structured review system on this forum as it would involve additional programming which incurs costs and is really not feasible for a discussion forum.

In any case, based on other review systems that I've seen for restaurants in the UK, the comments, reviews & ratings are always very subjective and regularly haven't concurred with our experience. This is exactly what we get with the informal reviews here.

Whether or not you will enjoy a restaurant depends very much on what you're looking for, the type of cuisine, who you are with etc. & can change depending on your mood. Sometimes you want somewhere formal, other times it's a relaxed atmosphere that makes an evening special even if the food is not 'haute cuisine'.

If I were visting PP for the first time, I would be wary of visiting places that have never mentioned here or have mainly had bad reports. For places to visit, I'm afraid that you do need to read through the recent posts (no earlier than 2008), note down those that appeal & visit them when you arrive to look through the menus etc. There are plenty of places here that get many recommendations here for anyone to have enough choice of great places to eat out!
Old 23-03-2009, 17:01

Yes, thats basically what my first comment was before I got carried away. Looks like we just stick to visiting them all ourselves - its a hard job, but someone has to do it!!
Old 23-03-2009, 18:07

When I get a minute I will work my way through the Restaurant Reference thread which should be one of the first places to look, along with the maps and directions thread so that you know where you're going!

Also, the search function is very good on here - just type in the name of the restaurant or bar and it brings up relevant topics.
Old 23-03-2009, 18:47

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Looks like we just stick to visiting them all ourselves - its a hard job, but someone has to do it!!
Oh, Ok I'll volunteer too! Word of mouth is probably still the best way!
Old 23-03-2009, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgey View Post
Hi Pollensa

I've been looking through the bars and restaurants section and am wondering if there is anywhere in the forum that members give a star rating or similar for restaurants they have visited.

It would be just my luck to go to a restaurant, after reading positive feedback from one member, not knowing that about ten others or so have given negative feedback.

Hedgey
Hedgey,

Caveat Emptor, my friend !!!!

Just remember the Fat Duck in Bray has three Michelin stars but I bet you're glad you didn't eat there late Jan/Feb this year !!!!!

I think you'll find that there is an extremely high correlation of opinion on the restaurant reviews and when not, the vociferous dissenters make their opinions felt pretty quickly. Just pick out a few reviews and you won't go far wrong.

BonysLad
Old 24-03-2009, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
Whether or not you will enjoy a restaurant depends very much on what you're looking for, the type of cuisine, who you are with etc. & can change depending on your mood. Sometimes you want somewhere formal, other times it's a relaxed atmosphere that makes an evening special even if the food is not 'haute cuisine'.
I think pollensa hits the nail on the head in the qoute.
Also, whilst restaurant reviews on this forum are very interesting and informative and have assisted us in making some good choices by going for those which sound like our sort of place with a general consensus of excellence it is at the end of the day as pollensa says a subjective area - Just as the French say " chacun à son goût " - each to his own taste.