Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36

When we were out in February we went to Bar Centric in the square for the first time ever. We were struggling to find any of our favourites open - there is a limit as to how many times you can go to Martins in a week!

Following the threads about how good the MMD usually are (don't normally do MMD) we liked the look of what was on offer an decided to try it. Sadly vegetable soup was bland tinned stuff, beef stew was so salty we could only eat half (and my wife loves salt!), synthetic crema cataluna and watery coffee. OK it was only 10 euros a head but we will not be back - once bitten twice shy!

GG
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2009, 13:07

As you all know when the MDD was devised in the past it was always a way of using up food from the previous night, this way the costs could be kept down. I do not know if this is the case now and with all restaurants, but if the deals are so good and cheaper then the comparable main menu price, then something has to give on the quality, unless people expect the same standard for the MDD as they do from the A la carte versions. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2009, 14:46
Founder

Personally, I don't think that it is the quality that suffers in a MDD. Based on our experience you will get a similar (& sometimes even better quality as it is that night's 'special'!) quality that the restaurant offers in general but you are limited in choice i.e. the dish often does come from the A La Carte menu but may only the cheaper items from that menu. The wine will be a house wine & can be vile (we know which places offer this!) & others can be really good.

If you find a place that you like, the MDD is usually tremendous value. If the A La Carte is good then so will the MDD be - e.g. the set menu at Stay or O Lume is usually excellent. The MDD at Brisa Marina is fantastic value especially if you like very fresh fish as the MDD doesn't cost much more than just having fish off the menu & they do lovely home-made soup.

I'm surprised about the comment on the soup at Centric as it is normally home-made & often more like a stew. Quality-wise it is rarely gourmet but in the past has always been tasty stuff although the wine is pretty rough. Perhaps they've changed chefs?
Old 11-03-2009, 16:17

We had the MDD last Wednesday night at Centric having just arrived. I have to say it was still up to scratch and we were full up after the starter of a salad and a lasagne, let alone the main course, the desert, wine coffee and water! It must have been a really bad night for the meal to have been bad. At the moment, we wouldnt go anywhere else for our first no frills, good food, no need to dressup meal as soon as we get there.
Also, we noticed this time that you do need to check on some MDDs if IVA is included or added. Obviously doesnt make that much of a difference, but it still is a little added expense!
Tango CaVostra only gave a Faustino VII this time instead of a Faustino V! My goodness, things must be getting bad! LOL!!
Old 11-03-2009, 23:58

I wonder if we were in Centric on the same evening in February

Centric was somewhere I had never been in the summer but the winter before last it became a favourite with us when we visited out of season and we believed it gave good; basic value for money

When we went in Feb we were disapointed

2 of our party had the soup - said it was nothing to write home about which was unusual because it is normally SO GOOD ......... I can;t even remember what I had but daughter wasn;t on MDD and had ordered Chicken Croquets .......... they had to be sent back because they were still frozen in the middle

Next came the Beef Stew ............ when first arrived only luke warm - so that was also sent back and then when it came back piping hot I coud only eat half of it because of the saltiness

Desert was fine and service really friendly and apologetic for poor standard --------- but put us off going back

Oh and I had a bad tummy that night as well

It was probably a one off and may even have been the same night as previous posters - not sure how often Beef Stew is on menu
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56

CD - i'm glad it wasn't just me! I was beginning to think I was turning into a grumpy old man Hopefully it was a one off - perhaps the chef had the shakes that night

GG
Old 13-03-2009, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
As you all know when the MDD was devised in the past it was always a way of using up food from the previous night, this way the costs could be kept down. I do not know if this is the case now and with all restaurants, but if the deals are so good and cheaper then the comparable main menu price, then something has to give on the quality, unless people expect the same standard for the MDD as they do from the A la carte versions. What do you think?
Good point, i have witnessed people ordering MDD and complaining, whilst the quality should be acceptable, at least, like a lot of places you get what you pay for! Going back to The Chinese rest at the roundabout, i think their EVENING MDD is around 8/9 euros for a 3 course with coffee. Their other restaurant the Pascalino do likewise, with large portions, which will be great for families this year. Not gourmet dining, but freshly made.
Old 14-03-2009, 21:46

Default restaurant on corner

Think the restaurant is Can'andreu owned by Mallorcan family, previously ran Bon Gust
Old 15-03-2009, 14:09
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Think the restaurant is Can'andreu owned by Mallorcan family, previously ran Bon Gust
This response relates to the very first post in the thread re an excellent paella.

Thanks for that, but as this thread is entitled 'not so good restaurants' I think it's best we stick to places that have been disappointing
Old 17-03-2009, 16:40

I have been coming to PP for many years and cant really think of that many really bad meals that we have had, unlike other resorts in Mallorca where it is hard to remember the good ones.

The ones that come to mind are El Mojito (by the square), awful food, slow service and terrible attitude when we complained about the wait. We had a bad meal at the one on the pine walk with the yellow umbrellas (i think its called Brisas, not the one by the Marina though which is excellent). Regarding the chinese restaurant by on the corner by the roundabout, avoid this at all costs, as we have never had a good meal there. If you want a chinese go to La Villa, directions are on the board where tangos used to be.
Old 17-03-2009, 16:50

I know this is you own opinion BigErn which you are of cause entitled to, just for a balanced view we always eat at El Mojito in the square and have only ever had a problem with one dish, which they replaced straight away, so if you do have a problem it pays to say something at the time, and also we always eat at the Chinese on the roundabout and have never had a bad meal there also.
I agree with you on the first point, we too have been coming for many years and rarely have a problem with the food.
Old 17-03-2009, 18:05

We usually eat at Mojitos a couple of times per visit & have never had a problem.( except for getting a table at height of summer)The staff have always been great & food good.Can be a wait when its busy but we relax & have another drink - we're on holiday!!!
I think we are so lucky to have so many great restaurants in one area but there are bound to be some that are below standard.Hopefully these don't last that long.

Last edited by cherylbb; 17-03-2009 at 18:09.
Old 18-03-2009, 12:08

Let's hope that some of the restaurant owners/staff read what we write on the forum, it seemed to work with the salt issue at Los Zarzales.
Old 18-03-2009, 14:34

The worst meal we had last october was at the Hibiscus - I just remember that we ordered Frito Mallorquin to start and it bore no resemblance to what we have had at other restaurants - and it was inedible. I ordered grilled chops and they were cold, greasy and also inedible. I know we should have complained, but it was our last night and we had had great food all week so it just didn't seem worth the hassle! But we are voting with our feet and won't be going back!
Old 19-03-2009, 07:22

We are the opposite to you tried Hisbcus for the first time last year and found it excellent value for money