Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-10-2008, 23:54

Default Eating out in Pollensa (Sat 11 - Tue 14 Oct)

Part 1 of 2

Before we went for our traditional October week in Pollenca this year we (we being my wife Lyn and two sons aged 18 and 14 – my 18 year old doesn’t want to be named here as he doesn’t want anyone to know he’s still taking holidays with his parents!) had a list of favourite restaurants we wanted to (re)visit. And one new one - Mister Greens. We’d 7 nights and more than 7 restaurants on our list! Decisions, decisions…

We arrived in Palma earlier than usual and so had a couple of hours to kill before we got into our villa do we stopped off in Inca, did some wandering and then had some tapas in a café off the main square. We ordered too much but they were rather good – unfortunately none of us can remember the name of the café! Sorry.

Our villa this year was excellently placed for strolling into town being on the Puig de Maria just opposite the Via de Pollentia entrance to Pollenca. The first restaurant on our list for Saturday night was La Fonda which we’ve always loved for the mix of Mallorcan and European dishes, all reasonably priced with good service. Strangely when we arrived none of the customary tables in the lane outside were present and when we went inside it was empty so we knew something was up! Turned out it was booked out for a party.

We went on up to Cantonet which was very busy but we managed to get one of the last tables with several couples coming in after us being turned away. We always love the variety of pasta – or rather stuffed ravioli – here and this night was no exception.

Strangely I’ve never managed to get my first choice of wine here and this year was the same and all I asked for was bottle of Macia Batle Rosado. They offered an alternative – an organic Rosado from Binasalem which was nice but rather sweet for my taste. We all had Crème Brules for sweet which were perfect and having been up since 04:00am gave coffee a miss this night.

Sunday afternoon we went for tapas at our favourite tapas place in Pollenca – Taberna del Temple immediately opposite Cantonet. They were fantastic as usual and reasonably cheap too although I think he undercharged us. We were the only people in the restaurant and we sat outside in the little courtyard through the back of the restaurant – I don’t know why this place is not more popular? The staff are very friendly and helpful too.

Sunday evening we had decided on Trencadora but we hit the same problem as Saturday – it was booked out for a wedding, although they did offer to do us some snacks at the bar but we declined. They were obviously keen for our custom as they asked if we wanted to book a table for the following evening instead – which we did. Trencadora used to be our second favourite Pollenca restaurant behind Ca’n Costa so we were keen to go back but did worry a little as we noticed the bare wooden tables with red gingham napkins instead of the usual white starched linen tablecloths.

So Sunday evening we ended up in La Font de Gall. This used to be a firm favourite of ours but had gone down a little in our estimations over the past couple of visits. I’m happy to say that apart from dessert, the meal was fantastic and the service was just right. All of us said we wished the meal had ended after the main course as the starters and mains were first class but the puddings were a bit of a let down.

Without booking we had to take whatever table was available which happened to be in the middle of the restaurant and inside. As it got later in the evening (we only sat down to eat at around 20:15) we were the only people left - most of the earlier diners having been families with younger kids. I’ve always thought inside Font de Gall a bit cold and soulless (compared with the street tables) and tonight was no exception.

We opted to take coffee in the square.

We hadn’t seen it before but spotted the new Patisserie that il Giardino (strangely a restaurant we’ve never eaten at in Pollenca!) had opened up around the corner from the restaurant. We bought some excellent bread, croissants and pastries throughout the week to eat at breakfast and lunchtime back at the villa and even bought some (rather expensive!) chocolates to bring back home. We haven’t tried them yet so can’t comment on these.

So Monday night saw us back at Trencadora – and I’m sad to say we’ll never be back! The food we had that night was amateurish and way overpriced. It’s not the same restaurant we used to know.

For example my son had a starter which was cold sliced chicken with cold tuna which had a sauce which I can only describe as like cold Campbell’s cream of chicken condensed soup! Strangely it had slices of lemon – not decorating the dish but placed underneath the layer of chicken/tuna!

I had an entrecote steak for 22.50€ which I’ve had better and better presented at home. The kids had tiramisu (with cherries!) which looked as though it had been flung together.

The menu also had lots of dishes with German sausage like curry wurst and I think all the table bar one other that night were taken by German speaking visitors.

All in all atrocious, way over priced and we’ll not be back

The following night was way better. Tuesday night saw us take the car for the only evening this week when we visited Mister Green’s in Sa Pobla. We found it easily thanks to directions from various sources on the forum here, although the sat nav didn’t have the actual street. Thanks for your help PP76 and Rocksalt.

The restaurant is very nicely decorated and set out and although it was warm enough we chose to sit inside. My Spanish must be getting better as we were mid way through ordering drinks before the waiter (Fransisco?) realised we weren’t native and switched to (excellent) English.

The restaurant was very quiet with only us and three German ladies at another table. I didn’t realise that it only serves a set four course menu and asked to also see the a la carte menu! However Fransisco was very helpful and offered to change any course on the menu that we didn’t like (we went with the menu as presented). At the end of the meal he (and the manager Jessica) spent quite a bit of time with us explaining more about the restaurant and what the hoped to achieve. When we were in Ca’n Costa in 2006 they told us then that they hoped to open in Sa Pobla in 2007 but it seems it all took longer than planned and they only opened February 28 this year. They intend to stay open over the winter unlike Ca’n Costa which closes 1st week in November. They said they’re full most Friday, Saturday nights and Sunday lunchtimes but are quiet through the week with only 2-3 tables per night.

The food we had that night was excellent and well worth the 25€. I can’t recall all the detail of each course but it was a pumpkin and something soup to start; a fish course which I think was hake with a risotto coloured by squid ink followed by a rather excellent Coq au Vin and then a chocolate brownie and ice cream which pleased the ‘kids’.

To think we paid 25€ for four excellent, well prepared and presented courses tonight and only the previous evening had paid almost as much for one poor steak!

The menu changes every Tuesday and they’ll happily substitute anything you didn’t like if you were to phone ahead… We’ll certainly be back.

I’m tired now so you’ll have to wait for Wednesday to Friday’s reviews…

Links

Last edited by MalcolmS; 20-10-2008 at 22:25.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-10-2008, 08:06

Great reviews, Malcolm! Thanks very much for posting them!

Disappointed that Trencadora let you down. We had one good night, one OK night there but I did notice the German influence, especially the currywurst which is a Berlin staple.

It certainly isn't the same restaurant of old!

Jane
Old 20-10-2008, 09:56

Hi Malcolm

I really enjoyed reading your review Part 1. Rather than our traditional two weeks in the Port, next summer we're spending our first week in Pollenca so I read your review with particular interest and look forward to trying out some of your recommendations. Thanks for posting.

Linda
Old 20-10-2008, 12:26

Will definately make an effort to find Mr Greens when we are out with debs in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully Can Costa will still be open too and we can compare the two of them.
Good reviews, have thought Trencadorca has been going down hill for a couple of years now unfortunately.
Old 20-10-2008, 13:09

Great reviews Malcolm ...good to hear Ca'n Costa is up to it's usual high standard.

Trencadora is certainly not the same restaurant as when Nico ran it. Such a shame as it's a beautiful setting.

Bella I've written down the directions for Mr Greens already
Old 20-10-2008, 15:22

Lol! Good girl, so have I, so Ill phone you from Mr Green somewhere in Alcudia then! End of off topic!
Old 20-10-2008, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Hopefully Can Costa will still be open too and we can compare the two of them.

the guys in Mister Green's said Ca'n Costa would close at the end of October but when we asked in Ca'n Costa itself they said they close after a big party that takes place in Pollensa on 7th November (?).

Links