Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-09-2008, 20:26

Default Value when eating and drinking

It's a shame that my first post will be largely critical of a resort that we have visited five times in the last 5 years.
Firstly let me say that as always we enjoyed our stay in PP and the "feel" of the place is as good as ever.That's whay we keep going back.
However,I feel that the quality of our dining experiences did not meet up with the expectation that the increasing prices would suggest.
The meals we had ranged from ok (Maxims in the square) to pretty poor (Tiberi,again in the square) An Indian one night and Chinese another came nowhere near justifying the bill we received.
If I was asked to pay £45 for just a main course each and a bottle of wine here in England I would expect something better than the fayre we were served (El Mojito).
I realise that the exchange rate doesn't help at the moment but even taking that into account I consider the increase from 3.5E to 4.6E for a beer in Bony's to be excessive.
I hear reports from friends all over Europe about prices going steadily up,so PP may not be a special case.It has though made us think about trying somewhere different in future.Which is a shame.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-09-2008, 22:41

There's something in what you say, I think.

I've visited Spain on five trips in the last two years and, whilst I don't have detailed records of the meal costs of the previous four, I'd reckon that our recent trip to the Pollensa area was probably the most expensive. That said, the general quality of restaurants is higher.

Leaving aside one particular high-end meal and another of pizza, our average spend was €91 per meal. We had a week in southern Ireland in June and average spend was much the same (€92). Just for interest, I've had a nosy at our last ten UK meals that I have notes for (which included two gastro-pubs and an Indian) - average per meal is £89.

Certainly food costs are being pushed up across the world as we all know when we go shopping. It's bound to impact on restaurants (I'd reckon that probably a 25 - 30% of the bill represents food cost). As you also note, exchange rate is currently a killer for Brits and it'd be interesting to see comments from forum members who live in the Euro area as to whether they also reckon prices are expensive.

John
Old 24-09-2008, 23:12

Default meal prices

I totally agree we were very suprised at the prices this year,we were paying the same or more than we would in england.Beer in most places was more expensive then at home.We were speaking to spanish friends who said that they now can not afford to eat out.
It does make you think twice about a self catering holiday versus half board at a hotel now.
Old 25-09-2008, 00:04
Super Moderator

I know a number of people who say Turkey is extremely reasonable for drinking and dining out. Some restaurants even supply transport for it's customers.
If you are thinking of going elsewhere maybe you could try it.
Old 25-09-2008, 07:17

We went in August and ,things have gone up we still eat for 4 of us within 70 euros and the price of beer didnt really take any notice as we were on holiday i need a beer we have one. Drinks are up in price at home and dont forget the days of cheap hols etc are gone the exchange rate is the exchange rate we cant change it.,
Old 25-09-2008, 09:44

Smile

Yup you can pay through the nose if your not careful.
We stayed in apartment for a month this year ...and if we didn't plan things we'd have spent a fortune (spent enough though...)

But with good use of the info and recommendations from this website it's possible to live very comfortably without spending a fortune.

One big Alcampo shop a week, brought in some great steaks and seafood pasta meals...pizzas for kids etc. Then we would eat out 2-3 times a week, usually MDD ranging from Brisa Marina (low cost -14.90 for 3 courses with wine!) through Tangos (great 3 course options with Faustino wine in a nice setting for 18.90Euros) and up to C'an Curassa & Stay at the 30E per head for that special evening. No need for the latter if on a tighter budget!

By the way a great bottle of white, Rose or Red Rioja could be had in Alcampo for around 2-2.50 Euros! Because of the heat we drank little red...we did try some vino a year round resident friend introduced us to from a local bodega...8 euros for 5 litres and it was lovely! (especially drinking it on their roof top terrace which had 360 degree sunset views of the bay, mountains at back, etc..
*sighs*
Old 25-09-2008, 17:35

Thanks for the replies.
A work colleague is just back from Olu Deniz in Turkey.Very.very expensive he said.
Old 25-09-2008, 19:04

I actually thought beer prices were cheaper than the UK but then I never go to Bony's. It was €3.20 in many places which is £2.70 or so?

I will be back in PP next year, mixing the nice food from the supermarkets and market, the Menu Del Dias and the odd evening out, but especially using my own fave Casa Isabel take away.

I am self catering in Rhodes for a week in May with the family for a wedding, it will be an interesting comparison with what we pay in PP?