Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-08-2008, 23:48

Default surprises and disappointments

Please be kind to a first time poster on here but also as a family just returned from our 5th trip on trot to PP.
Biggest surprise was Tangos. Luckily a 10 min walk from our lovely apt at llenaire. Had 2 trips there and was voted by all 6 of us as best restaurant around.Lovely setting, gorgeous food and with the duo playing a fab atmosphere. huge portions and great service.
Also had 2 trips to Tolos pizza including a boozy night with 12 of us. Again lovely food and decent portions. It was my daughters birthday and they even arranged for a lovely cake.
Major disappointment was Laup. Has it changed hands since last year? Terrible menu, very little choice...awful dried brown bread and hard olives to start. Tiny portions and cats everywhere. No wonder only 3 tables occupied. Of course had been raving about this place to other family members so i was so embarressed we never even stayed for dessert.
Also had disappointment at Can Nolesa in the old town. Iffy service and a row over the bill, arguments over whether my skinny 8 year old qualified for a child meal!!
By far the worst meal of the fortnight was at Brisas Bar. Cold unedible food, awful service, olives thast tasted like they had been pickled in curry sauce, and bread rolls that could have shattered concrete and the cost was exorbitant.
Other nights we had decent meals at Simbads and BrisaMarina and the Galeon Hotel.
We had one lunch out at Cala Rajada (didnt know it was a german resort but a lovely port setting) and had the best sardines i have ever tasted.
Have already booked to return again next year. However, has anyone else noticed the sea was full of rubbish this year and the sand castle folks had gone and sometimes not quite the same atmosphere walking around in the evening.
Sponsored Links
Old 27-08-2008, 09:46

Thumbs up

Welcome and well done on your first post!
Oh dear, sounds by your post that things werent as good for you as usual? But Im sure you had some great times too - just needed to get the bad ones out of the way!
We also have an apartment in Llenaire along with a couple of others Ive noticed, must get together and take over Llenaire restaurant some time!
There have been a lot of good reports on Tango lately, so I suppose I must take a deep breath and give it another try with an open mind.
Rubbish seems to have been a big concern this summer but Nick has reported it to the Mayor and hopefully getting it sorted.
And the sun did shine so that was ok!
Old 27-08-2008, 09:49

Returned on Saturday after 4th visit to PP, and have to say that we all thought that the sea and beach were the cleanest ever.
We always used the South Beach near the Pollensa Park beach bar.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:53

Do take a deep breath,book a table by the window and give Tangos a whirl Belladona. The MDD is fantastic value, particularly given the house wine is Faustino!

I take it you mean Brisas Bar GillC, as opposed to Brisa Marina (on main road facing Stay and marina). The staff here were very coureous and this was our cheapest meal out, with food quality basic but good for E14.90 all in!
Old 27-08-2008, 21:19

Default Tabgo - downstairs or Window ?

Hope this isn;t seen as too far off post

First Bella, PLEASE go to Tango , you won;t be disappointed

BUT ............. do you sit downstairs and savour the atmosphere and the music ?

Or do you sit by the window and watch the sun go down over the bay ?

We couldn;t decide .............. in the end we plumped for downstairs both times we ate their back in July ....... but I think we will try the window seat next time
Old 27-08-2008, 22:30

Hi Gill,

We were also disappointed with Laup.
I know many others have had a wonderful time here but even if the meal had been nice, which it was not (to be fair to them it was possibily just a bad night) we really did not like all the cats running around the tables.
Like you we did not bother to wait for dessert.
Old 27-08-2008, 22:43

L'Aup has definitely changed and although I know we would go back, it isn't the same as it used to be.

I thought the portions were a lot smaller - last year I had a shoulder of lamb that would have fed a family of four and hubby did gripe a bit about the size of his suckling pig this year. Rather than a joint of meat it was artfully arranged on his plate in little rounds.

I saw one cat there but then I had seen cats at the restaurant before.

Nothing stays the same does it?
Old 28-08-2008, 08:12

Jane,

To be fair, at least the cats were all on the ground and not walking across the tables as has been seen elsewhere in the past. Also to be honest I do not like cats (Sorry cat lovers).

PP76
Old 28-08-2008, 10:15

When we were last in the area in 2001, there must have been quite a problem with wild cats as the council had put signs up (only in Castillian and Catalan) asking folk not to feed them and explaining that there was a programme to catch and neuter them to reduce the population.

It only sticks in our mind due to the Castillian "gatos vagabundos" and any "cats on the loose" are now referred to in the Harters household as "vagabonds".
Old 28-08-2008, 11:31

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
Hope this isn;t seen as too far off post

First Bella, PLEASE go to Tango , you won;t be disappointed

BUT ............. do you sit downstairs and savour the atmosphere and the music ?

Or do you sit by the window and watch the sun go down over the bay ?

We couldn;t decide .............. in the end we plumped for downstairs both times we ate their back in July ....... but I think we will try the window seat next time
Just a quick reply CD, Ive posted somewhere re my "emotional" reasons against Tangos, partly because my hubby actually put the a/c in there about 17 years ago in the original restaurant. BUT I will put all that behind me and treat it as a completely different restaurant, just dont be there after Ive had a drink and get all weepy about it!! Or there again - please do to get me out of it!! LOL! XX
Old 30-08-2008, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
Do take a deep breath,book a table by the window and give Tangos a whirl Belladona. The MDD is fantastic value, particularly given the house wine is Faustino!

I take it you mean Brisas Bar GillC, as opposed to Brisa Marina (on main road facing Stay and marina). The staff here were very coureous and this was our cheapest meal out, with food quality basic but good for E14.90 all in!
Yes, Brisas Bar was awful however we also ate in Brisa Marina and I agree, the food and service were great and reasonably priced!
Old 04-09-2008, 19:38

Default surprised and disappointments

We booked a table at El Positos on recommendations from the forum and also someone in our hotel said it was the best meal he had had in PP.
On arriving we were shown to our table and after looking at the menu we were asked to move for what reason i dont know as there were lots of empty tables.
After choosing from the menu the waiter who took our order was very rude and intimidating when i asked for pork he said i should be having real majorcan food?? when i asked again if they had pork he said they did but continued to mumble
We felt very uncomfortable while we were in there and left the restaurant after 40 mins and vowed we would not go back
I have to say the food was good but the service put us off
I know this restaurant is a favourite of alot of people on the forumbut i felt i had to give my own view ,sorry if it offends
Old 05-09-2008, 09:05

Balanced views always welcome.
Old 05-09-2008, 14:13

Not offended, but find it hard to think this has happened, no I am not calling you anythink. I know Tony reads these post and I am sure he will be very upset to think this has happened in his place, I am assuming the waiter was not Tony the owner, if it was it is so much out of charater, he can come over a little abrupt but never rude. I am sure this was a one off, and as you say the food is some of the best in the port.
I have known Tony for many years my own son grew up with him when his Dad ran the Pozo bar, I am looking forward to happy meal with him in couple of weeks. Lets learn to live and forget.
Old 05-09-2008, 19:41

thanks belladonna
i dont post very often and weve been home 3 weeks and really didnt know whether to post my opinion or not as i know its a favourite of alot of people on here. just felt had to give my view and got to say we are very easily pleased and cant think of last time i complained about a restaurant.