Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 15:18

Default Dining at the Temple of good food and service...

El Temple - Saturday 16 August

Even now, just over a week after we ate at this lovely little restaurant I still feel a warm glow inside when I think back to our evening there. It’s certainly attracted some great reviews and I was looking forward to experiencing it for myself.

We’d made sure of a table by booking the evening before and when we arrived we were shown through to the pretty courtyard at the back of the restaurant. My daughter nearly threw a pre-teenage tantrum when she sat down and was almost swallowed up by a tree (one of many that make this terrace so beautiful) but after some shifting of the table she was eventually happy.

There’s an almost medieval air about El Temple…maybe it’s the stone carving outside the restaurant or the stone walls within, but it sums up just how much I love the old town of Pollensa and her beautiful ancient buildings.

Another reason for liking this restaurant was the head waiter who simply loves his job (or gives the impression he does). He was wonderful - very chatty and friendly and was more than happy to give us more bread to go with our olives and aioli - I wonder who ate all the alioli?

We ordered starters of herring and mango salad (hubby) and shrimp and avocado salad (me). Mine was superb - big succulent prawns and avocado bathed in a Marie Rose and Balsamic vinegar sauce nestled on a huge pile of salad. It would have done for a main course!

For main courses the children chose beef stew, hubby went for the rabbit which he enjoyed, while I plumped for the pork in a honey and curry sauce. My pork was plentiful and came served on a skewer with the delicious sauce. The children wolfed down their beef stew which looked delicious - the big chunks of beef were very tender. Each dish was accompanied by saute potatoes and vegetables (courgettes, green beans and carrots).

I ordered a bottle of the Son Bordils Negre - at 14% it reminded me of a French Chateauneuf-du-Pape with its blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Tempranillo, Callet and Syrah grape varieties and was smooth, full-bodied and fruity.

Hubby and I were too stuffed for dessert but the children found room for a mousse each - one was white and the other dark chocolate. The waiter wound them up and brought four spoons but we were happy to see them lick their plates clean!

The bill came to 100 euros which I thought was fantastic value and when we went to pay inside we received a complimentary brandy - a lovely touch and a great way of ending an evening that will live in my memory for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Old 25-08-2008, 08:48

Jane thats on my hit list for this year
Old 25-08-2008, 10:40

Can you please tell me where this place is.

Thanks
Scotty Lady
Old 25-08-2008, 11:15

Yes, sorry! I always forget to include directions because I'm rubbish at giving them!

The best way to find El Temple is to start off in the main square in the old town - Placa Mayor.

Face the church and take the narrow alleyway that runs between the Cafe Espanyol and the church. Carry along this alley passing Lulu's on your right and then Eu Centro.

As you reach the end of the alley you'll see a stationery shop on your right with newspapers on racks outside. Turn right into a small square with the cockerel fountain. Turn immediate left, passing La Font del Gall on your right.

Carry on up this road - you'll see a big church directly in front of you. On the right hand side are some lovely little shops - one of them has lots of ethnic goods for sale and you can always smell incense sticks!

Just carry on straight up this small road and El Temple is just on the left before you reach the end of the road. Cantonet restaurant is opposite.

The restaurant has a stone plaque on the outside. When we were there I'm sure they were closed on Thursdays as we saw no sign of life at all.

Telephone number is 971 531061

Jane
Old 25-08-2008, 12:40

I told you you'd love El Temple Jane! It's been our hidden little treasure for 3 years since our daughter discovered it while working at Ca'n Costa

Fantastic food including traditional local cuisine, and some international dishes. All beautifully presented...didn't you love the plates?

Debs
Old 25-08-2008, 13:05

Er...the plates? I seem to remember them being big? But to be honest, I was so intent on looking at the grub that I didn't appreciate them...

I think I'll just have to make sure we eat there again soon!

Jane
Old 25-08-2008, 14:31

LOL@ Jane!!! The plates and bowls etc were all white and unusual shapes!!
Probably just me but I always enjoy my food more if it's on a nice plate..got to be white not coloured and patterned

Another good point you commented was the delicious vegetables. It's quite rare in Mallorca to get such a selection and for them not to be overcooked mush!
Old 25-08-2008, 18:17

Hi Debs!

I agree with you about plates - I have a thing about white crockery myself and the glasses and cutlery have to be gleaming...it's almost a ritual thing...

And yes, the vegetables at El Temple were very good - it always amazes me that the markets are full of fresh produce but you don't get many vegetables at a lot of places.

Jane
Old 25-08-2008, 22:15

Nice review Jane - the Temple is one of my favorites. It's not an obvious sort of place mainly because it's not in an obvious location. But it is friendly and does everything well without being flashy.
Old 25-08-2008, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH02JLH View Post
Hi Debs!
it always amazes me that the markets are full of fresh produce but you don't get many vegetables at a lot of places.
Pretty much a cultural thing with the cuisine throughout Spain, I think, Jane.

Veggies either go into dishes (like sopas, tumbet, etc) or they'll be as a salad or veggie starter. I reckon that what we tend to see on the plates in restaurants in tourist areas is there more for decoration (or because they know North Europeans expect it). Perhaps, also, a bit similar to Italy where veg usually have to be ordered (and paid for) separately.

John
Old 27-08-2008, 10:07

Thanks for these directions Jane and for all your wonderful reviews which I've read several times over. Having read Deb's great reports on El Temple I did manage to find it on a walk around Pollensa in July, but it was purely by accident and I doubt if I could find it again! Yet another one for the list!

Linda
Old 27-08-2008, 10:28

Hi Linda,

Thank you very much! A lot of Pollensa's restaurants are quite close to one another - in or around the square or leading off a side street. I suppose the farthest away now is either La Placeta or Piccolo Forno which is on the very edge of the town.

I hope you get to El Temple and enjoy! I wish I was eating there tonight!

Jane
Old 27-08-2008, 22:51

Jane maybe it could be added to the map referances I am on for when we are out in September