Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-2008, 14:22

Default L'Aup

L'Aup - Tuesday 12 August

If there’s one thing I’ve finally realised about eating out at different restaurants (and I don’t just mean Mallorcan ones) is that you should cast side all expectations of how your evening is going to turn out. It really is best to go with an open mind…

L’Aup has always been one of our favourite restaurants and it helped that our villa was very close, just two minutes drive away. I’d heard on the forum that it had changed hands so we were looking forward to seeing how different it was and how it would compare with the old L’Aup that we’d come to know and love.

Thwarted in our dream to eat there on our first night, I had booked a table for Tuesday night and was shocked to see it so busy again; there was hardly a space in the dusty car park and yet more cars were still arriving!

We were met by the Maitre d’ who still looked harassed and I wondered whether he actually liked his job or not. I couldn’t help comparing him to the old head waiter who was always so friendly and laid back. Menus were handed to us and a basket of bread and olives plonked down on the table. My son announced he wanted spaghetti and then ran off to play but when we opened the menus we couldn’t see any children’s dishes at all. The menu is quite short - about 6 or 7 starters, 3-4 fish dishes and 5-6 meat dishes, including fillet and entrecote steak. Normally we’d find the bread and pate sufficient as a starter, but things had changed here and we received just a basket of dry bread and a limp huddle of olives.

Things went downhill when hubby’s beer was forgotten and he sat trying to catch a waiter’s eye for, what seemed like to him, an age. I had ordered a glass of the house white, a delicious medium wine from Yecla so I was more than happy. Despite it being now almost 9pm it was as hot as the furnaces of hell and everyone around us seemed to be melting into their own little pool of perspiration. Peace was restored when hubby's drink arrived with a curt apology from the head waiter.

Hubby and I had chosen our meals but we asked about the children and were reassured that they could do spaghetti and plain chicken breast with chips for my daughter. We skipped starters and hubby opted for the suckling pig, while I chose the chicken breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and sobrasada.

In a way it was reassuring that the menu had changed completely because to me that signalled that the dishes were freshly prepared, and indeed, delicious smells seemed to be wafting all around us as the place filled up with large tables of people enjoying themselves. L’Aup really is a very pretty place - the outside courtyard filled with trees and bougainvillea and old farm equipment.

When the food arrived I have to say it was sublime…my chicken was moist and tender and perfectly cooked - served in little rounds on a bed of pureed mash with an accompaniment of ratatouille. Hubby’s suckling pig was also pronounced delicious, the crackling nice and crispy as he likes it, but he said that he would have liked a few more vegetables on his plate. The children’s dishes were equally good and at the end of the meal we all had clean plates.

Having skipped starters we fancied dessert and I opted for the selection of all the desserts on the menu while hubby went for the gingerbread and blackcurrant coulis served with vanilla ice-cream. The children were delighted with their chocolate ice-cream. Again, the desserts didn’t disappoint and I’m of the opinion that whoever does the cooking certainly knows what they are doing!

So how did it compare? In my opinion the food was just as good, if not better than the old L’Aup, with a much more streamlined menu. The service was very quick and attentive but without the friendliness we’d come to expect which was a shame. It would have been nice for the Maitre d’ to have come over and made sure we were happy with our meal, but perhaps the awesome heat and the fact that the restaurant was very busy prevented him from doing that. But, never fear, we will be back!

The bill came to 103 euros. Booking is definitely advisable and you may have to ask for dishes to suit children.
Sponsored Links
Old 24-08-2008, 17:40

I was a little daunted reading your opening paragraphs but pleased to see it worked out well in the end. I'd read (your?) earlier posts about this place and have it pencilled in for our first night as it looks easy to find (we're staying near the golf course).

How far in advance would you suggest we need to book to be sure of getting a table?

John
Old 24-08-2008, 17:47

Hi John,

We always used to book a table before going into Pollensa for a drink, but that back-fired on us this year when they were full the same night. It might be best to book a couple of days in advance if you want to eat there. They're closed on Mondays.

Hope you're enjoying the reviews!

Jane
Old 24-08-2008, 18:26

Thanks, Jane. We'll give them a bell round about the 3rd (we arrive on the 6th)

Yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying the reviews. Telling readers how the food actually was is much more helpful than just saying a place was "great" or "lousy" - it allows us to make up our own minds about a place. I usually write-up our meals out (whether at home or away) and try and find an appropriate site to post them (if I can't and it's been a UK meal, I just bang them off to the Good Food Guide).

John
Old 24-08-2008, 18:49

Hi Jane

Glad you had a good holiday and we have enjoyed reading your reviews.
We seem to favour the same restaurants as well as trying new recommendations.We have been back just over 2 weeks and after reading your reviews we wish we were still there!

Keep them coming and forget the ironing!!!

Charlotte
Old 24-08-2008, 18:57

Ironing? What ironing?

Glad you liked the reviews - it's like reliving the holiday all over again!

Looking back, I think the meal I had at L'Aup was one of the best - the chicken really was very delicious and I wish we had had the time to go back and try another meal. I'm of the opinion that the chef (or chefs) definitely know what they are doing, and judging by how busy it is, word has got around!

Jane
Old 24-08-2008, 20:33

What can I say but thanks for your reviews .

Apart from Ca'Costa which is one of our favourites have not been to the other places mentioned. Really puts me in the mood for trying to get another wee holiday in before the end of the season.

Cheers Scotty Lady
Old 10-10-2008, 16:24

Hi Jane,

Sorry just browsing and I have just read this post.

I read somewhere that the chef at L'Aup was previously head chef at the Dorchester Hotel in London!

Suemo
Old 10-10-2008, 17:38

That wouldn't surprise me at all! Food was brilliant!