Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-08-2008, 07:51

Default Two weeks filling our tums……week two….part 1

Two weeks filling our tums……week two….

Week 1 was great, other than the robbing gauchos at Festival Park and the price of Butcher Meat in Eroski. I awoke on Sunday morning of week 2 to prepare our daily breakfast of Nocilla (Pains brand of Nutella, which my son reckons tastes far better) on Toast for the Oldest Son, a bag of Eroski Mini Croissants for Son No.2, and the delicious Eroski Six Packs of Mallorquin Ensaimadas which we add fresh apricots or nectarines to as recommended by our local friends. Washed down with Fresh Brewed Spanish Coffee, various fruit juices, Horchata De Chufas and a big glass of vanilla milk for the lads. It fair starts your day. Today we planned to hit the beach and after the normal balcony lunch we headed down with a plan of driving into Palma to attend the Real Mallorca v Newcastle United match. A great day at the beach, only slightly spoiled when No 1 son was sipped on the ‘erky’ by a crab. Through the tears, even he found it funny! Having eaten a hearty brekky and late lunch, Mrs 1875 and the youngest were planning to go to Burger King for junior then a beer or two and some tapas for her ladyship. No1 son and I left them to it and headed to the Son Moix/ OMO stadium for a diet of what I hoped would be fantastically filled bocadillos washed down with alcohol free beers to match previous matches I have attended across Spain. It was not to be and sometimes modern life is rubbish, with the alcohol free beer off the menu and the tasty sobrasada, jamon serrano and chorizo sannies replaced with insipid boiled hot dogs, dried onions and hamburgers that were as grey as a Scottish September weekend. The matches were garbage too and I headed back to PP, hungry and a bit annoyed at the 70 euro charged for me and the lad to watch a woeful ‘Toon without even a tasty morcilla of entrepan de sobrasada to chew on.

Day 9 - Monday morning and up with the lark and a lazy day by the pool followed by lunch and dinner on the Balcony scoffing down a lovely home made plate of merluza (hake) cooked with peppers and tatties, followed by spanish quesos and mallorcan integral brown bread, sluiced down with my old mate, Macia Batle Negra ’07 and some Vichy Catalan Fizzy water. The lads were crying out for there own favourites and scoffed boiled rice, served with anchovies and chicken breast cooked in soy sauce for the big lad and pasta with cintas de bacon (bacon bits) for the younger one.

Day 10 was the day our Mallorquin friends were coming to visit us, this time bring their daughter Maria Del Mar, who had been at school camp in Bunyola the week previous. Maria Del Mar and my lads have known each other since they were babies and are great friends, even though Maria speak Mallorquin most of the time and my lads roll their English out via the thick burghhhhhhh of the East Coast of Scotland. It’s great to watch. We had eaten a light lunch of bocadillos on the hoof daytime as we had promised to make our friends some Indonesian food for dinner. Why you ask, well I worked in Asia for six years and my far better have is Javanese. So after a few hours at twilight we retired to the balcony for a feast. Indonesian food is very spicy and has to be tempered down for even the bravest European. We had prepared and served Mie Goreng which is a simple dish of Fried Chinese Noodles with chicken, onion, peppers, peas, egg, fried in soy sauce and Kecap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce which tastes uncannily like treacle toffee to me!). We served it with chicken cooked in soy sauce and light chilli with a side order of Sambal Oelek, a fierce chilli sauce which my brave Mallorcan friends insisted on eating. We had agreed that if we done the food, Baltasar and Family would do the wines and desert. Boy did we win that deal. They arrived with a 2002 Bottle of Mallorcan ‘’Anima Negra’’ he had saved for me for years. I quaffed 90% of it and it was a heady, dark wine of significant strength which I thoroughly enjoyed but felt a tad tiddly after. The ladies drank the extremely chilled Pere Seda Arxiduke White which was quaffed in no time and I have written about in the wine section of the forums. They also brought dessert, which was a car wheel sized Ensaimada, filled with plump Apricots and baked. It was bought in a famous baker in Palma by my friend’s father as a treat to us and served with local Catalayud Almond Ice Cream was mouth wateringly delicious. I must get the name of the Palma Forn it’s prepared in.

Day 11 – Ohh bugger, it’s a kids day, with the promise of a trip to Hidropark and the Go Karts in Alcudia with our two lads and their two pals Dan and Michael. As part of the deal, the lads had to join us in a traipse round the PP market, which was very, very hot. We stopped in at Bar Cultural, sitting inside like the locals and smarter visitors, glugging down cold water and nibbling on their excellent little 3 euro bocadillos, yum. Heading back to the apartment laden with market buys, we prepared for the afternoon out by packing crisps, juice, fruit, lots of choccie bics and bocadillos for the waterpark. The kids had the time of their lives and thoroughly enjoyed their day of slides, waves and track races which they capped with a kids meal at Burger King. I personally don’t see what Burger King does that attracts people, but the lads loved it. We met the kid’s friend’s parents for a sundowner on their balcony in Celgotmar, the view was stunning and the olive nibble got the old belly rumbling. Feeling peckish we popped down to Bar Aries, which is next door to the Rosa Blanca Pub at the Gommar roundabout. It is a wee locally run place with a simple, no frills ‘Spanish Menu’. The youngest was still full of burger and fries; however the older lad said he was hungry, so we ordered a Prawn Tortilla with salad and homemade chips for me, a grilled steak, again with salad and homemade chips for her ladyship and fish fingers for the lad. Served with bread and a racy alioli and washed down with two still and two fizzy waters, the bill was the cheapest of the trip at three cents short of 34 euro. I have to say the food was simple, but a decent sized portion which tasted great. I would recommend it for those staying that end of town.

The final installment to follow...
Sponsored Links
Old 23-08-2008, 10:34

Good post.

Next time you're passing North Cheshire, feel free to pop in and cook me some Indonesian food. I've only eaten it in Holland where I presume it's adapted to Dutch tastes as "Indian" food is adapted for us Brits. Really enjoyed it.

John
Old 23-08-2008, 11:54

Another great post Mark. The Indonesian meal sounds fab! Now for part 2....
Old 23-08-2008, 12:01

Thumbs up

Amazing! You could open up a complete forum totally for your food! Do you have more hours in the day than anyone else? This is dreadful having to read it all whilst trying to diet for the next wedding!!
Old 23-08-2008, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Amazing! You could open up a complete forum totally for your food! Do you have more hours in the day than anyone else? This is dreadful having to read it all whilst trying to diet for the next wedding!!
I woke at 5 this morning to my works alarm (arrrgghhhh) and I keep my receipts ans some notes to make telling the tale easier!
Old 23-08-2008, 22:36

Glad its not a dictaphone - you would never have a conversation!! LOL!
Old 24-08-2008, 09:44

I know a rude joke about a dictaphone.