Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2008, 19:15

Default Two weeks filling our tums……week one….

Well that is us been back a week and it’s taken until now to find the time to write up our food adventures this year.

Day 1 – Lunch on the balcony, made up of tortilla Espanola, cold meat, cheese, pate, trampo and oodles of fresh bread. This was my youngest lads 8th birthday and as his was ‘King for the day, he chose his own favourite, C’an Ferrar in Caller San Peter, specifically for the mussel mountain they provide. We were not disappointed with two large bowls of Mussels Marinera for the lads and Frito Marinera to share between me and Mrs 1875, followed by Grilled Sole for the wife, Pork Chops for the lads, and Grilled hake for me. Birthday Boys had a ‘Punky’ Ice Cream with a candle in it, his brother a Flan. All served with Bread, Olives and Alioli and washed down with 1 coke, 2 Fantas, two small beers, a half litre of Agua con Gas and a bottle of house white, the total bill came to €71, which we thought was reasonable.

Day 2 – Nothing really to report as we ate lunch and dinner on the balcony, enjoying the lazy day as the boys had made lots of pals at the pool and didn’t want to go anywhere! I had got the butcher to cut two sirloins and t-bones at Eroski, however when they were handed to me with a price tag of 32 euros!!!! I cancelled the plans and bought the pepper sirloin steaks Eroski pre pack instead. They were excellent.

Day 3 – We rarely lunch out so same lunch as day one applied. I decided to head to one of PP’s great secrets, the take away that is Casa Isabel on Caller Roger De Flor. Serving freshly cooked Spanish and Mallorquin dishes, this place is fantastic for ‘dinner on the balcony’. We ordered a Tumbet (mallorcan ratatouille) roast chicken (it delicious and nothing like the fluff we are sold from Morrison’s/ Tesco etc), lomo pepito (pork loin baguettes) and portion if home made, hand cut chips for the lads. Total cost was exactly €20! Fantastic and is packed so well it stays warm for hours! Washed down with a bottle of 2007 Macia Battle Negra (€5.98 – Eroski), made it perfect.

Day 4 – As usual lunch on the balcony, with my oldest enjoying the frozen chiperones (battered baby squid) from Eroski served with those brilliant microwavable boiled rice’s portions you get in Spain. We had a light lunch as our Mallorquin friends, Baltasar and Maria Antonia were visiting for dinner and we were heading for O Lume. Heading there around 8, there were half a dozen tables filled, which was decent for a Tuesday Night. The usual Scooby snacks of Ensalada Rusa and suchlike were served with the Bread, Coloured Butter portions and Alioli (you have to ask for the Alioli). Starters consisted of a Frito Marinero as we were dining on large main courses. We ordered 1 Full sized T Bone (eyes bigger than my belly I am afraid), two half T Bones for Baltasar and my 8 year old, a Deep Fried Cod for my 10 year old and two large whole gilled rabbits for the ladies. Aperitifs were a small beer, 5 fanta naranjas, a little Sin Gas, a half bottle of Marques de Vitoria Tinto as recommended on here for myself, and the ladies shared an excellent chilled bottle of Casal Caeiro White which they raved about. Dessert consisted of 1 ice cream, 2 chocolate mousses and the house special; Leche Frita’ (Fried milk). All washed down with the normal free liqueurs (I had a Ponce – pronounced Ponche), the ladies something girly and the usual free after dinner chocs. The meal was simply magnificent, my t bone really was too big and only the greedy devil in me ensured it was finished. Medal of honour went to Jamie, my youngest who finished his half a t bone to the astonishment of our Mallorcan friends. Only the lack of some decent background music to add to the ambience stopped us giving it a 10 out of ten. Great work Jaime, the bill for 140 euro for six of us was well worth it.

Day 5 – Thursday’s has become a traditionally busy day for the family when in Mallorca. We head off to Inca, where Mrs S enjoys the market, and as a keen amateur photographer, takes looks of snaps. Me and the lads repaired to the unusually named café Mr Chippy for cold drinks and some AC away from the 42oC heat! From there we headed to reCamper then onto Festival Park, and lunch. Traipsing round, we noted the Argentinean Eatery ‘Nature Grill' doing an excellent three course adult menu with wine/ water. Pan y postre for €12.90 and a kids menu for €6.90 including drinks and desert. Bingo we said. The boys had Fantas and fish and chicken nuggets, Mrs S and I shared a Chiperones and a Salad starter and two cuts of steak as mains, washed down with fizzy water, a diet coke and ice cream deserts. Very pleasant it was too. We asked for the bill and when it came I was glad we were sitting down. They had charged us for the £22 evening ‘menu del dia’ and all drinks making the bill nearly 70 euro. My Spanish is reasonably decent (especially when annoyed) and we complained about the menu costs. The waiter looked shame faced and returned with a new bill five minutes later, this time with two €12.90 MDD’s, two kids’ menus and still all drinks added. I complained again and he returned a full five minutes later, this time with a revised bill showing two drinks removed and two still on the bill. By this time I has lost the will to live and paid the € 43.80 exactly with the 80 cents made up of all the very small change I could found and accompanied by a one cent tip. PLEASE ENSURE you avoid this place at Festival Park, the waiter is a con man and I am sure for every person who complains, five pay and leave without a close look. A COMPLETE RIP OFF!!!!!

After a smashing late afternoon at Palma Aquarium, we popped into Casa Isabel on the way home for Rabbit and Onions (€6.75), Tumbet (€5.00), Lomo Con Setas (Pork Loin and Mushrooms - €6.50) and a portion of home made chips (€2.75) – Excellent and restored my faith in the good people of Mallorca after the attempted rip off at lunchtime.

Day 6 – Friday brought the oldest laddies 10th Birthday and his ‘Rey Del Dia’ choice was El Posito, a great favourite with all the family and many on here. We had reserved on Wednesday for a 9.30 slot, Tony warning us he would be busy. We arrived at 9.25 and got seated at 9.50, which annoys me a wee bit as we were not offered a drink whilst we waited. As ever the food was magnificent although and I feel like a traitor to Toni and Angie here, the choices were restricted and frankly a tad expensive. The boys had wolfed down bread and didn’t want a starter. Mrs S and I scoffed a health portion of Calamarines. Main course and Birthday Boy chose Toni's famous ‘Lechona’, Mrs S loved her Cordero (Lamb Shoulder) and my 8 year old who wanted a pork loin, ate a beef steak as there was no pork left. Washed down with a litre and a half of Water, 2 cokes and a bottle of reasonably prices 2005 Macia Batle, Toni threw in the coffee and birthday boys ice creams for free. A Bill of 95 euros was probably a tad steep for one reason, which was the 15 euro charged for my eight year olds steak and chips. If there was one thing I think El Posito should do is add a fixed price kids menu. Something simple like pork chops/ loin, hake or fish finger, and a pasta dish would go down well with kids and their parent’s wallets!! Food was magnificent as ever and I am pleased such a back street place remains so busy!

Day Seven and the end of week one was started with the ubiquitous lunch on the balcony, followed by a great evening at the Moros and Christianos in Pollensa. Tired and hungry we headed for the oft recommended Brisa Marina on the seafront and were not disappointed! They have a three course menu at €14.90 which includes bread, Alioli, wine, water or a drink. We had two portions of Pescaditos and one of Calamarines as a starter, No 1 son was in whitebait heaven. For mains, No2 son chose the kids portion pork chop, which a €3.50 was a bargain. No1 son had pork steak and the parents (us) had grilled sole and grilled sea bass respectively. Followed by ice cream and Crème Catalan, and washed down with a beer, two Fantas and a litre of con gas, the bill was an amazing 54 euros and the food and service was excellent!

Week 1 over, week 2 to follow…….

Last edited by Mark1875; 17-08-2008 at 23:15.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-08-2008, 19:33

Mark what a fantastic review I am literally drooling at your wonderful descriptions and choice of food!!

I've not heard of Casa Isabel but it is a definite must for when we are over in the winter months doing DIY in the apartment, and too tired to go out.

Looking forward to reading your next mouth watering instalment

Debs
Old 17-08-2008, 19:55

great reviews

I have seen Casa Isabel but never ventured in ..... I will when next over

Also, I have never tried brisa Marina but after reading your review think I need to give it a try

Interestingly we had a similar experience at an american diner type place at Festival park last April with my friend and our daughters

We just blamed ourselves for allowing the girls to tempt us into an American Diner when in Majorca

Last edited by its cd; 17-08-2008 at 19:59.
Old 17-08-2008, 20:26

Mark

Brilliant review, I can't wait for part two!

We are heading out on Tuesday and following your review I will try Casa Isobel if I get a chance. Also, I think Brisa Marina is a must visit for my husband and son. I am a veggie so I am not sure if I will find much to eat there but I feel they really must try it given all the good reviews.

Thanks again.

Sharon
Old 17-08-2008, 21:38

Great Review Mark - thanks
Old 17-08-2008, 23:00

Mark great
Old 17-08-2008, 23:02
Super Moderator

Fantastic thanks Mark.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:13

Where is Casa Isabel then!!??
Old 18-08-2008, 12:42

Red face

Fantastic reviews, I will make a note of Casa Isabel and make sure I try it on our next visit, an exact location would be great. We too had a similar experience in El Posito, great place, brilliant food but let down by the fact that my 10 year chose pork and was told that there wasn't enough and told the beef was a better choice, we were stunned when an adults steak arrived with full trimmings. We felt a little bit ripped off which is a pity as it is a great restaurant, interestingly our other son was served chicken nuggets and chips and he is older!
Old 18-08-2008, 13:10

Loved your report Mark!

Felt as if I was there eating and drinking and enjoying as I read it!

Apart from the bit at the Festival Park!

Casa Isabel is on Vicente Buades or Roger de Flor (sorry not sure which) on the left side coming from Joan XX111, just don't drive the wrong way on Vicente Buades!!

Here's to Part 2!

Porto
Old 18-08-2008, 13:25

Great review! totally jealous - not coming out again for four weeks!

Cheers.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:48

Question

Loved reading it too - can't wait for our hols - 12 days to go ?
Are you a Livi fan by any chance - hubbies brother was manager there last year!!
Old 18-08-2008, 16:42

Brilliant review Mark. Similar experience for us too in El Posito last month. We had a fantastic meal as two adults but when we returned a few nights later with my three children, chicken nuggets was the only child-size portion on offer to my young son. He did initially order these but such was the reaction that we ended up feeling slightly pressured into ordering something else which, of course, came as an adult portion and price. I love the food and the atmosphere in the place but agree that a fixed price kids menu with choices such as you mentioned would be a great bonus.

Really looking foward to week two..........!
Old 18-08-2008, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Where is Casa Isabel then!!??
On Roger De Flor just a minutes walk round the corner from El Posito.
Old 18-08-2008, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandyproc View Post
Loved reading it too - can't wait for our hols - 12 days to go ?
Are you a Livi fan by any chance - hubbies brother was manager there last year!!
Never, I am a Hibby and tell Mark the Hibs fans had the highest regard for him!!!! He was badly treated at Livi. People say I look like Mark!!