Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 16:15

Default Two weeks of dining

We have just returned home after our first visit for 2 years and thought I would give a few comments on our dining experiences. As we are a family of 5 including 3 hungry (and thirsty) people aged 14-21 yrs we are quite cost conscious and find fixed price menus excellent value.

Therefore the loss of TANGOS was keenly felt as it had always been a safe bet but we never quite managed the long walk to the new location. TRIOS was as reliable as ever but the big disappointment was TOTS. As the cheapest of the 3 we used it frequently and in particular the lamb was brilliant, and to quote an oft used phrase “fell off the bone”. Well not any more. We tried it twice, to give them the benefit of the doubt but each time my lamb was a tiny portion, with very little meat and didn’t even taste very nice, served with a mush of tinned vegetables. The salmon was also sadly lacking. In addition, instead of a nice half bottle of wine or a jug of sangria, all you get now is a small glass. I appreciate they have kept the price low but I would rather pay a little more and keep the same previous high standard. I understand that it has changed hands which no doubt explains the changes but I am very disappointed and have struck Tots off our list of favourites.

However, we had a couple of good meals in PASCALINOS and despite some poor comments on the forum feel it is excellent value for money, particularly considering the prime location. It is always full which says a lot really.

We also had an excellent meal in EOLO and found the service to be really friendly.

We tried TIBERI for the first time and found it to be over-rated and expensive and the atmosphere was spoilt by the inappropriate loud rock music. Very brisk and unfriendly service.

NICOS had a very good, if limited set menu at 14.50 and would definitely recommend it.

JOKER BAR is one of our favourites and we usually visit for lunch on arrival and cannot be faulted, again because of its location. Always reliable and friendly service though 3.75 for a large coke seemed a bit expensive!

We tried EL MOJITO in the square for the first time and whilst it is expensive, felt the food was excellent quality and worth treating ourselves. A nice touch was a complimentary glass of wine whilst waiting for our table.

We also tried NEPTUNO for the first time and had a good reasonably priced meal, assisted by helpful friendly staff

Finally to TEX MEX DAKOTA. Like a lot of people, we don’t like this chain and think it is overpriced and unsuited to the area but of course the kids love it so we gave in and after having got over the shock of finding a THIRD branch having opened, we had a pleasant meal, sitting on the platform by the sea. The service was very slow but everything else was ok. However when we got the bill of 130 euros we counted the money out and clipped it to the saucer and it was collected but they soon came back and said we had left them 20 euros short. We were taken aback by this as we all agreed the correct money had been given – we are not stupid and can count out euro notes! But they were adamant we hadn’t paid enough. Our son speaks fluent Spanish and had lengthy discussions with the manager and we didn’t pay the missing 20 euros but it left a very unpleasant feeling. We feel that the 20 euros must have got lost between the sea front table we were at and the bar at the back, although I clipped it carefully or that simply they were trying it on. The restaurant on this site was previously the Mistral (I think that was the name) and we were ripped off there too, they tried to charge us for expensive wine though we had ordered and received the house wine amongst other things and I have spoken to at least 2 other people who also had problems of overcharging etc and I wonder if this site is jinxed........

Finally, we still love the Corner Bar and ended up there most evenings. Much prefer this to Bonys and the drinks are much cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 17:02

Hi Tango Fan,

Glad you had a great holiday - I had similiar experiences this year after being charged 3.60 per dash for two dashes of lime in two waters. and 22.45 Euro for a 9 minute call home that normally cost me 4-5 Euro at the Daina Hotel. - Leaves an unpleasant feeling.

I was wondering where the corner bar is??

Rachel
Old 12-08-2008, 17:23

Hi Rachel
Sorry, we always call it the corner bar but the proper name is Bar Cultural in the Square. It is really the locals bar, there are always Spanish families in there. If you walk past where Tangos was, it is right at the end on that side - on the corner!

I hate the feeling of being ripped off. It is interesting what you say about the cost of the phone call, I have never worked out whether it is cheaper just to use your mobile, use a payphone or buy a phone card. My daughter spent loads ringing her boyfriend this year!
Tangofan
Old 12-08-2008, 19:41

It seems to be a theme with some of the cafes/restaurants on that stretch - we stopped one evening at one of the cafes..I think it was called Cappricio's (or something like that).. There were 9 of us incl 3 children - 3 large beers were included in the order and when they came they were not even full .shrug of the shoulder from the waiter when this was pointed out.my daughter had ordered a cocktail which was not cheap either and to be honest it just tasted like fanta orange.A very heftty bill for very poor service and drinks.
With regards to phoning home...i used one of the telephone places every day to ring home and paid no more then 2.50 for a 10 min call and that as daytime rates