Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 19:21

Default 13 Nights in PP Part 3

Meal 8 – Tuesday July 29

The children wanted to go back to the old town to have another HUGE candyfloss from the stall in the square so we made a return visit to Piccalo Forno. We were seated inside, as all the outside tables were reserved. The children ordered their usual coke etc & Susie & I had a beer whilst browsing the menu, Jim had the children’s Americana pizza as per his last visit, the girls had a children’s spag bol, Susie chose the Pesto pizza, I had the pizza Piccalo Forno once again as I enjoyed it so much on the previous occasion, it did not disappoint.

The girls enjoyed their spaghetti, as did Jim with his pizza, Susie’s Pesto pizza was topped with grated goats cheese, she said it was ok, but wished she had chosen mine.

With water the bill eventually came to 58 Euro, I say eventually as we were initially charged for two adult spaghettis, but it was quickly rectified once Susie pointed it out to the waiter.

Meal 9 – Wednesday July 30

We set off to Los Zarzles, we collected the keys to our apartment on arrival from here, it looked a pleasant setting plus had good reviews on the forum (apart from the salt issue).

We arrived, were seated at a table in one of the garden areas and were presented with menus. We started to browse when one of the waitresses informed us there was a “problem” with the ovens, but it should be resolved in 10 minutes, we decided that was fine as we could have bread etc in the meantime to keep the children happy, we were then informed that there was no bread as it was baked in the ovens, we decided to leave at that point as 10 minutes can quickly become 30 etc & the children would quickly become impatient for their meal.

So we headed down to Llenaire where we were staying, to Hotel Galleon that had also had favourable reviews. I dropped the family off, parked the car at our apartment & walked back to the hotel. All were seated when I arrived, however Susie was not happy, they had stood for around 5 minutes before being seated although it was not busy & that was only after Jim had approached a member of staff asking for a table, menus were given to them, but not the MDD, when requested, it was reluctantly given.

Susie & I opted for the MDD, 18 Euro with wine & water so it stated, James chose hake & chips, the girls’ chicken nuggets & chips. The children had the usual soft drink, Susie & I were poured a glass wine each, no bottle on this occasion, I stated to the waiter, a surly guy who should not have been working in a customer facing role on this evidence, that we would have water without gas.

Susie & I both had mussels to start, I enjoyed mine but Susie told me around 7 of hers were closed.

For main we both had sea bass fillets with a scattering of boiled potatoes & some type of strangely presented mushroom, we both said it was edible but uninspiring, the children seemed happy enough with their meals.

As we had drunk the glass of wine part way through our main course I asked for the wine list, un customer friendly waiter eventually brought it, cannot recall what I ordered apart from it being a binissalem white. After ordering it Susie pointed out that we were expecting water as part of the MDD, he asked if we wanted water, I said yes, he brought a bottle, I had a gut feeling at this point we would be charged.

The children chose an ice cream from the fridge for desert, Susie had the fruit of the day - melon, a slice came, sat all alone in the middle of the plate, talk about presentation! I chose the ice cream which was fine.

The bill came, 71 Euro a bottle of water included, we were about to challenge it until we noticed that they had only charged for 2 ice creams, not 3. We paid, about 10 minutes later the waiter returned saying he had made an error on the bill regarding the cover charge & it was now 75 Euro.

We settled & left. I have my opinions on hotels that also have restaurants, this experience reinforced it.

Meal 10 – Thursday August 1

The children had been asking to go to Burger King through out the holiday, today we took them for lunch, Susie & I had a whopper with fries & a diet coke, you know what, we both enjoyed it LOL! The children had a children’s meal with chicken nuggets, chips, a soft drink, fromage frais. Jim also had an ice cream.

We had a late night on the beach, when crab hunting on the jetty & ate dinner at home.

Meal 11 – Friday August 2

Where to eat on the last night had been discussed for a number of days, I would have chosen OLume, although I appreciated it was not great for the children, so we plumped for Ca n’ Andreu as we had a good experience on the first occasion & Grace wanted to play with her ball on the square, I booked in advance for 8:30 to ensure we were not disappointed.

We had the same table as previously & Susie & I chose the MDD again.

Susie had melon with Serrano ham to start, I chose the seafood fritta, for main Susie chose lamb, I chose petersfish in a sauce that the waitress described as yellow in appearance & not dissimilar to salsa in taste.

Jim ordered sardines, the girls decided to do so too, we were not sure if they would actually like them so ordered one spag bol as insurance.

After about 5 minutes the waitress returned to inform us the sardines were off, so Jim ordered fish fingers & chips & the girls had a spag bol each.

The girls enjoyed their spaghetti, however James said his fish fingers were disgusting, on closer inspection we discovered they were grey strips of fish, not flakes, we pointed it out to the waitress, who immediately offered an alternative, he chose burger & chips.

For desert Susie had crème brulee which she enjoyed, I had lemon cake which was nice & tangy.

A development from our earlier visit was that the childrens meal now included a drink & ice cream.

The bill was 55 Euro, the evening was not as pleasant as our previous visit, the staff seemed a little harassed, plus there was the issue with the fish fingers, which to their credit they resolved quickly.

Saturday August 3

Time to go home…. Stopped off at Sonbrull for hot chocolate & cappuccino, a wonderful setting, with a chocolate truffle each the bill was 18 Euro. The children said they wanted to stay there next time, I don’t think the inflatables would go down too well in that pool!

So that was Puerto Pollenca 2008, another wonderful holiday, so many restaurants on my list we did not eat at:

Stay/ Clivia/ Can Costa – perhaps when they are a little older
Tolos – busy every time we passed
Siller – drove through the district numerous times, saw the advertisement on the main road near Eroski but could not find it!

Disneyland Florida next year for the children, hopefully might squeeze a week in PP!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2008, 19:35

Great review shame you did not do O'Lume the kids would have been fine.
Old 11-08-2008, 21:19

Great review again - hope you do manage to squeeze a week in PP next year, so that we can read some more!
Old 11-08-2008, 23:27

Thumbs up

Loved the reviews. You must have been staying close to our apartment as we too can walk to Galleon. Im not a great fan of the meals, but it can be a lifesaver in the winter when nothing else is open. Last time we were there with son and his girlfriend, we requested paella with no fish ie a meat paella, and they were more than happy to oblige. Then it turned up totally with fish! Luckily we were feeling pretty mellow and just giggled our way through it - come to think of it, perhaps that was just me!!
Old 11-08-2008, 23:53

Default great reviews

Hey you have to squeeze in a week next year ...... I want to read more great reviews

Thanks so much , I've been home just over 2 weeks now and am pining for the pines
Old 12-08-2008, 21:16

40 Something

I agree with previous postings - another visit would be good.

Thanks

Sharon