Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 10:01
Under Moderation

Default Bistro Mar - Cala St Vicente

Forgive me if I am duplicating information in other posts but there seems to be some confusion - there was in my mind at least! - about the Bistro Balaixa in Cala St Vicente which now rejoices in the name Bistro Mar.

Like many others I was very disappointed to find that the old Balaixa just outside Pollenca had closed and was very much hoping that Arnie and Mandy would still be in the restaurant business somewhere in the area.

We arrived in Pollenca in late April for a 4 week stay and after a quick look at the old Balaixa could find no sign of a forwarding address - just a "For Sale" sign. My wife suggested that we trot off to CSV and see if the old Bistro Balaixa might be operating. I was pessimistic, particularly when I noted that the direction sign that used to be located at the turn off from the main Pollenca-Puerto Pollenca had disappeared. However, on our second evening, we did press on to CSV and were heartened by the sight of lights being on in the windows of the old Bistro Balaixa as we approached. To our surprise and delight, not only was the bistro - now wonderfully renamed as Bistro Mar (Mar's Bar as Arnie called it!) - occupied, but was open for business.

Needless to say we spent a lot of time there in the ensuing four weeks and were able to welcome the arrival of a new chef. Ma is still the hard working stalwart who looked after us wonderfully throughout with Arnie and Mandy overseeing front of house and making sure that everything goes well. Both Arnie and Mandy looked very relaxed and at home in this environment and I think they are on to a winner here.

The menu has some of the old Balaixa favourites like lamb shank but they have also branched out into tapas. I must confess that I have always been a bit wary of tapas, worried that it was not quite a full meal and yet too much for a snack. Arnie and Mandy's tapas had us converted very quickly - I am now an enthusiast and if you are hungry just three or four tapas choices from the menu will be more than enough! I am hooked on the "Frito Mallorquin" - Arnie described it as "Mallorcan bubble and squeak" but that does not do it justice. Eaten with a portion of potato wedges and perhaps some sizzling prawns on the side, it is just wonderful. We also think that Bistro Mar's bread, olives and ali oli is the best we have tasted on the island.

As it was early season, Bistro Mar has some innovative offers to tempt potential customers with a different theme each day - free meals for children; starters for 1 cent with a main meal and free tapas with a drink at the bar were examples. It was obvious by the time that we had to leave back to the UK at the end of May that Bistro Mar was proving very popular and obviously the special offers wont be there in high season.

I highly recommend Bistro Mar with its covered conservatory area if the weather is not at its best and full seating area outside for when the sun is shining. The telephone number is 971 532054. Art the time we were there Bistro Mar was closed on Saturdays to give Arnie, Mandy, Ma and the chef just a short time off but that may change as the season heats up.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-06-2008, 12:02
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Bonzo, great post really enjoyed reading it.
Old 22-06-2008, 19:56

Default Bistro Mar

Thanks for the post Bonzo very interesting - like you my family and I were bitterly dissapointed that the old Balaixa had closed this year but it is good to know that there is Bistro Mar out of curiosity do you know why they decided to sell up ?
Old 22-06-2008, 23:24

I would guess that the relocation of the supermarket had quite a bit to do with the decision to get out. Its dominant presence had a big impact on the ambience of the place.
Old 23-06-2008, 07:46

Where in CSV is Bistro Mar?
Old 24-06-2008, 20:30

Default Bistro Mar

If you drive round to Cala Mollins beach Bistro Mar is on the road that runs next to the big car park and is next to the Torrent. Apparently there are new villas and apartments going up here so it might look a bit different to previous visits. Not been yet this year so let us know what you find.
Old 29-07-2008, 23:39

Default Aaarrrgggg

Now don;t I just wish I had paid more attention to this post

One day last week we went to Cala in the afternoon

Family thought we were going to sit on the beach, do a bit of snorkling etc etc ..... which of course we did

but then we went for a walk ............ my "plan"was to check out Bistro Balaxia with the aim of either hanging around until early enening and having tapas etc or if it seemed the sort of place where we needed better clothing, go home and then come back for dinner

I couldn't find the place , I walked all over lookign for it ...... then I drove around as well ............... family getting fed up by now so we just went back to PP

Now if I'd known I was looking for Bar Mar and not Bistro Balaxia , I just might have found it

oh dear ............ another reason wy I just have to go back later this year