Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 09:26

Default La Piazza in the Square & the Bread Charge

Went there alst night with 3 other people, sat outside. Waiters all very nice and friendly.

We were asked if we wanted bread and ali-oli, menu said 1.20€, we said yes.

We got the bill, bread and ali-oli = 4.80€ (1.20x4)

I really didnt like this... they could atleast put 1.20/PP on the menu. We had 4-5 slices of bread and some ali-oli. Really wasent impressed.

Also, what is it with all the looky looky guys? really anoying. We were aproached 4 times while we were there, one even came over while we were eating, offered me CDs i Said no, offered another friend CDs, she said no, offered another friend and she said NO! and he didint seem to happy, gibered something and said "noooo" in a silly voice, i just laughed...

So im sorry to say but I wont be going back to this restaurant simply because I feel it takes advatage of people. Alot of palces give you bread for free.
Ppmaf
Sponsored Links
Old 24-07-2008, 11:15
Founder

I think that whenever it puts a price for bread etc. on its menu this will mean per person but at least you were asked if you wanted it. In a lot of cases it just arrives & then you are charged as a cover charge regardless which I know a lot of people resent. I don't mind so long as we get nice olives!

An advantage of the Menu del Dia is that it is included in the price but it rarely seems to be for an A La Carte Meal. Or perhaps people can suggest places where it is included?
Old 24-07-2008, 13:26

For me, bread is an integral part of any meal in Spain - as much so as the meat, spuds, salad. I often find I ask for more.

Of course, it's never "free", so I can never understand why places choose to show it as a cover charge. Much easier to just incorporate into the menu price, but I'm not fussed if they do charge separately.

No specific knowledge of the Pollensa area, but experience from previous trips to the country suggests that it will be in the less touristy restaurants that bread is served simply as part of the meal (and replenished throughout). Perhaps sort of mirrors pollensa's comment about getting it with a menu del dia.
Old 24-07-2008, 17:38

Yes you are right where they should have it on the menu. But they should clearly state that it is 1.20€ Per Person, im not being tight or stingy, I just feel I was abit ripped of.

Its like saying a bottle of water is 2€, but if 4 people drink from it its 8€ :S
Old 24-07-2008, 20:27
Super Moderator

Unless it was a set menu for 4 people i would have assumed that it was per person.
Old 24-07-2008, 21:01

MENU:

Bread and ali Oli........................... 1.20€

Doesnt say per person, im sure other dishes such as paella etc say a price per person.

Im not arguing with anyone here at all. I thought it was wrong and so did the other 3 diners.
Old 24-07-2008, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmafioso88 View Post
MENU:

I thought it was wrong and so did the other 3 diners.
Well, at least you'll know from this experience that Spanish menu listings are per person, as they are in the UK.

I'd have thought that they only actually specify per person when it's a shared dish like a paella (except, of course, in the cheaper places where you can get the "catering" paella for one).

By the way, I also think you got ripped off - from your OP, you each got only one slice of bread for 1.20€. I'd definately have wanted more!
Old 24-07-2008, 23:11

Hi Folks: I would agree that the menu price is per person but it sounds like you only got one portion, as for the looky looky men they are a pest!! but the police this year are trying to keep a looky out for them. We have found that some restaurant staff will move them on, but tends only to be senior staff that will do so.

PS: Was your meal good despite lack of bread and the bad men?

Iain.
Old 25-07-2008, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac man View Post
Hi Folks: I would agree that the menu price is per person but it sounds like you only got one portion, as for the looky looky men they are a pest!! but the police this year are trying to keep a looky out for them. We have found that some restaurant staff will move them on, but tends only to be senior staff that will do so.

PS: Was your meal good despite lack of bread and the bad men?

Iain.
I must admit, the food was lovely... I had the Salad Romana, I dont normally have salads but this one has chicken, bacon, egg, and pasta, and it was very nice. Everyone was happy with there meals...

I am not trying to give the palce a bad name here, just stating I didnt like this "hidden" charge, but the FOOD AND SERVICE WAS GREAT!
Old 25-07-2008, 10:24

I think I understand what ppmafioso is saying. He feels that being charged 1.20€ for bread each seems silly when you are 4 people, because you would get an equal bread basket if you were only 2 people dining and would finish paying 2.40€.

I dont think its worht the fuss, just discount 2.40€ from tip, and youve got your money back.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:51

Yeah exactly... there was no tip left!! didnt have any money left after I paid for the bread..
Old 25-07-2008, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Barnard View Post
I think I understand what ppmafioso is saying. just discount 2.40€ from tip, and youve got your money back.
Not something I'd personally do. Wouldnt want to affect the serving staff's income as "punishment" for their employer's greed.

John
Old 25-07-2008, 15:06

Same thing happened to my friend , and once the bread etc was all eaten up they asked if they wanted more so they agreed but didn't know they would be charged for it each. I think there should be a set price for a basket of bread and doesnt matter how many people eat from it or include the price in meal
Old 25-07-2008, 16:50

er... if you don't want to pay what is essentially less than £1 each you could always say no or just don't eat it.

If I remember correctly, at La Piazza you get bread, olives AND bread sticks - all for less than £1 - bargain. It's just as well paying for it because if my visits have been anything to go by you'll wait ages on your food, then be brought the wrong thing and the staff will be grumpy. Not my fav place.

In Italy, you pay "cover" and get nothing for it - sometimes it is 3 euros a head.
Old 25-07-2008, 17:28

I thought that restaurant was lovely. Great puddings
Closed Thread