Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-07-2008, 17:12

Thumbs down Maxims - Augustitis in June

Sorry to report that the staff were so rude this year that we didn't even bother to eat there!

LOL! It's true. We tried to book a table one night and were off-handedly passed from one person to another and then had to follow her around for her only to reply very abruptly that we could not book a table. She couldn't have been ruder.

Goodbye Maxims...

Last edited by Lala70w; 13-07-2008 at 20:31.
Sponsored Links
Old 14-07-2008, 09:38

Thumbs down

I cannot understand the way this restuarant operates. They want you eat up as quickly as possible to free the table up for the next poor suckers see my earlier report. Just be glad you did not get a table and went somewhere else.

Scotty
Old 14-07-2008, 17:57

Default Maxim's

Couldn't agree more. It's just not worth going to this place in the summer. We've been coming to the Port for years and they have always had the same attitude. What you're not allowed to do is just sit there with the menu for half an hour or so while sipping a glass of wine and watching the goings on in the Square. Instead you get shown to a table, take order, bring food, eat and on your way. (For a gentle tip on how this should be done, book a table at Stay for the evening, on the other hand, if I want to eat to a time schedule, I can always go to Nicos. We did once many years ago, and on commenting on the rather brisk service, I was told they allowed eight minutes between courses!, true story.)

Anyway, back to Maxims, this is all such a shame because the food is usually very good. We were last there in April, actually the second night they opened for the season, and it was excellent: laid back and pleasant, with great service. Of course there weren't hundreds of tourists fighting for tables that time of year.

One or two people who use this Board have suggested that they know the owners/staff quite well, (lots of talk of families, babies etc). If that is the case , perhaps someone could have a quiet word with said owners/staff and suggest they take things a little easier, slow down, don't rush the customer so much and try some service with a smile! Honestly, I'm not making it up, this time of year, they all seem so harassed and downright miserable.

We're off to PP tomorrow for a couple of weeks, but will not be going to Maxim's, great shame because, as stated earlier, the food is normally very good, with some interesting variations on the menu, (their Brochette is quite superb, and they also have an outstanding wine list ). I can only think they're just not too bothered, as they always appear to be busy.

Last edited by pinewalker; 14-07-2008 at 22:03.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:28

Did the owners of Maxims used to run Piazza a couple of doors away?
Old 14-07-2008, 20:58

Smile Maxims

They still do!

Cheers!

Frito
Old 14-07-2008, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalker View Post

One or two people who use this Board have suggested that they know the owners/staff quite well, (lots of talk of families, babies etc). If that is the case , perhaps someone could have a quiet word with said owners/staff and suggest they take things a little easier, slow down, don't rush the customer so much and try some service with a smile! Honestly, I'm not making it up, this time of year, they all seem so harassed and downright miserable.
Pinewalker ,

Fraid you've summed this up really well, cos what is quite a pleasant dining experience off season becomes a different ball game in the height of the season. Walk past Maxim's and La Piazza at 7 p.m. anynight now and the platoons of waiting staff are ready to go. Don't really think a quiet word would do much good cos it's their business model and it works judged by the numbers there each evening. That's why I personally find C'an Andreu such a refreshing addition to the square and why I hope they survive, You do get a smile and they just seem to have moretime for you.

Enjoy your hols

BonysLad
Old 15-07-2008, 06:29

A couple of years ago we had very poor service in La Piazza and have never been back. Last year in JUly we tried thew new Maxims in for the first time (used to be regulars in the days of Ignacio and family). They seemed to be running it with military precision. The waiters and waitresses looked terrified that they were not seen to be working hard enough. . The consequence was that there was one at our table every couple of minutes. The food was good but it was not a relaxing experience and in fact I felt quite giddy at the end of the meal with all the comings and goings.

Shame - it has such a great location too!
Old 27-07-2008, 22:42

Default Maxims

HAd a great meal there a coupple of weeks ago ........... but OMG do they rush you

We decided to skip starters ........... which usually means a long wait for your mains ....... but not here , our meals were on the table within 5mins of ordering ........... it really threw me

Anyway, we ate slowly, and when asked about deserts I said "yes but not yet" ........... got a bit of a dirty look but stood my ground ............. eventually when I ( the paying customer ) was ready I ordered creme catalina dn it was delicious

In a way, I rather enjoyed the fact that I was "breaking their model" amd because I know what game I was playing we didn't let it bother us

Didn't go back though !
Old 28-07-2008, 11:03

Hey all -

We stayed in a private apartment in the Ipa Plaza building last year just around the corner from La Piazza and Maxims- and every afternoon when we would be heading back the staff in Maxims would be starting to set up for the evening and again late in the evening when heading home they would be sitting outside enjoying a drink after service and always had a big hello and friendly smile it always slightly amused me that this attitude never followed through to the service in the restaraunt.

Such a shame as food is always delicious!!

Old 30-07-2008, 19:08

Its constantly mobbed so it must be doing something right. Like a lot of establishments in the port it has location, location, location but not much else IMO.