Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 09:52

This thread is really interesting .Most people usually state that if they are not happy with thier meal they will not return .On this thread everyone appears to be saying that thre is too much salt in the food but no one saying that they will not return .Why the difference ?

I ate at Los Zarzales in June and enjoyed my meal, and had no issue with the amount of salt .

Just curious

ScottyLady
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55

Hi scottylady

I think everyone is concerned as Los Z has always been one of the most popular restaurants in PP with a lot of forum members. I really love the ambience of the restaurant, and it's always been my first choice to take friends to when they stay with us as the food has always been superb. I had a very salty meal the last time I went and quite a few others have reported the same.

Far from people saying they will return regardless I think they are wanting to make sure the standard of food is how it used to be. Salt is a very personal thing..what may seem very salty to one person wouldn't be to another. Unfortunately if food is served too salty there is nothing you can do about it,and a lovely dish can be ruined. Much better for the chef to go easy with it and allow more to be addded at the table.

We have been going to Los Z ,and the families previous restaurant Mibar for the past 20 years and the 'salt' issue has only become a problem in the last year.I know Yolanda very well and think it only fair to talk to her in person on my next visit.

Debs
Old 07-08-2008, 12:10

Hello Debs, i really hope this can be sorted out before October. My wife who is "Sparky" and i would really like to try Zarzales but for medical reasons we have to be sparing with salt. You can always add but you can't take away.
Cheers, Scuba.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21
Founder

Hi Scuba/Sparky et al,

can I suggest that if anyone does have an issue with salt you mention it to them when you book or even when you order. Perhaps if we Brits were brave enough to say something at the time, the message will get through.

I'm sure that next time someone goes and finds a dish too salty for them, you could just say that 'x and x was really lovely but the potatoes (or whatever) were really rather too salty for me.'

In general, food can be what we would consider over-seasoned in Spain. But if no-one points this out then the restaurant owners/chefs won't ever realise.

Just a thought...
Old 07-08-2008, 13:48

In defence of Los Z, our food was good quality, no issue with the salt, but we didn't think it was value for money - did like the 3 amigos singing as we ate though !!
Old 07-08-2008, 16:20

[QUOTE=pollensa;23670]Hi Scuba/Sparky et al,
I'm sure that next time someone goes and finds a dish too salty for them, you could just say that 'x and x was really lovely but the potatoes (or whatever) were really rather too salty for me.'

/QUOTE]

The only difficulty with this is that, by then, you've spent your money and had a not very enjoyable meal.

I'm afraid that I've put this place on my list of places we'll pass on. Lots of other good restaurants with no adverse forum comments .

John
Old 08-08-2008, 09:14

The worrying thing is that we DID mention it (and as I said in my original post got free coffee which was very nice) but by the continuing reports it has not made a difference.

This was not a subjective "it's a little over seasoned" thing - some of the food was frankly inedible and not just the potatoes (although admittedly they could have been used as a snail deterrant) the mains of paella and suckling pig were extremely salty. This is one of the more expensive restaurants so it's an expensive mistake.

I think Debs is right to have a word and I agree that the reason I would return is because the setting is so nice and past reports have been good so would give them another chance - but only if I hear improving reports.

Look forwards to hearing how you get on Debs.

Lala

Last edited by Lala70w; 08-08-2008 at 09:18.
Old 27-09-2008, 20:16

Thumbs up

After reading the posts about the salty food that people had experienced,and also having an extremely salty meal myself earlier on in the year, I decided to have a word with Yolanda about it.

Los Zarzales has always been one of our favourites in the Port so I was sad and quite shocked to hear the bad reviews.

We arrived about 9.30 after having booked a table the day before. Both courtyards were very busy as was the pavement area. We were shown to our table in the courtyard which looked amazing..all the rain this year has certainly been beneficial to all the beautiful plants.

Yolanda came to take our order and I told her I would love the suckling pig but the last time I had it it was so salty as were the potatoes. She immediately assured me that it would be fine, and said that in June and July there had been a problem with salt She didn't elaborate and I didn't ask .

I had the deep fried brie with seasonal fruits to start which is drizzled with the most delicious sauce. Chels had small red peppers filled with seafood, followed by a chicken breats stuffed with prawn and leek. My suckling pig was absolutely delicious, seasoned perfectly and with the crispiest crackling ever In fact someone kept trying to nick it off my plate when I wasn't looking, but I was too quick for him

So please give this lovely family run restaurant another go if you were disappointed the last time you went. You will be in for a treat

Debs

PS Bella how about it in October ?
Old 27-09-2008, 20:46
Super Moderator

Debz, i am so glad to read your post. As you know i had wanted to try Los Z but the salt issue was putting me off. Now that it has been resolved hubby and i will definately pay a visit when we go out next week. Thanks for the reassurance i will let you know how it goes.
Old 28-09-2008, 10:59

I to went to Los Zarz twice last week had suckling pig both times wonderful, we eat there on our first night then tried other places more of that later the 4 of us then voted where to go on last night Los Zarz won the vote.
You will have to go a long way to find a more plesent girl than Yolanda and her sister Alica
Old 28-09-2008, 11:18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy2007 View Post
I to went to Los Zarz twice last week had suckling pig both times wonderful, we eat there on our first night then tried other places more of that later the 4 of us then voted where to go on last night Los Zarz won the vote.
You will have to go a long way to find a more plesent girl than Yolanda and her sister Alica
That's good enough for me Snowy, i will be eating there one night while i am there. Thank you.
Old 30-09-2008, 11:44

We've been to Los Zarzales every time we've been to PP over the last 6 years and it's certainly in our top 3 of places to eat.
We ate there a couple of times last month and we booked in advance. When we got there we were shown to our table in the garden/courtyard and we're quite surprised to see the table covered in little ribbons and balloons etc. "That's nice," we thought. "No need to go to all that trouble just for us." It turns out it was the wrong table. Another couple, who were celebrating their wedding anniversary, had also booked for that night and the names got mixed-up.
The lovely Yolande showed us to another table after apologising a couple of times. "No problem," we said. Yolande got talking to us about wedding anniversaries etc and we said it was our anniversay just last week. Two minutes later she was back with a bottle of champagne for us! Free of charge! I couldn't believe it. And we had a lovely meal. The musician that night was a Scot who played a mean saxophone and it just added to the great ambience there. Lovely. The next time we ate there the 3 (more mature) Spanish musicians were playing. Not really my kind of music but I didn't find them intrusive at all.
The food was delicious and not too salty, either. As usual, the meal, the atmosphere, the staff and the bill were all very good. We'll be back next year.
Old 07-10-2008, 19:58

Great to hear they have sorted out the salt problem - maybe give it another try.
Old 12-04-2009, 13:56

How much would you say an average meal out for 2 adults and 2 children (with good appetities would be) plus drinks..
Old 12-04-2009, 18:20

Smile

We had the menu of the day here last September and I admit it was good value for money and the food was really nice, I have my reservations about the childrens meals my little boy (he's 7) was hugely disappointed as the portions were tiny!!! We went back on the last night of our holiday and chose from the a la carte menu but were both disappointed, maybe we made the wrong choices, it seems to be a big hit with some people maybe we were unlucky. We paid about 80 euros I think for the 3 of us. Our favourite after 3 years of PP is Brisa Marina!! on countdown to the 30th May when we will be out there again!!