Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 19:22

Default 7 days of eating

Just got back from another fabulous week, and thought I'd strike while the iron is hot and report on our 7 days of over indulging.
The party consisted of 2 adults and 2 16 year olds (the elder daughter having ventured over a couple of weeks earlier with her boyfriend)

Saturday
Lunchtime in Guru.
Last year I had voiced my concerns that the staff were a bit hit and miss here. This lunchtime however we were treated wonderfully. Very friendly, remembered from our previous visits. We'd been up all night travelling, and stuffed ourselves on a selection of starters (Nachos, Fries, Mozzarella Sticks, Padron Peppers). Did the trick perfectly, great start

Dinner in Nicos
The girls had been looking forward to this since last year, and no-one was disappointed. Chicken Quesadilla for three, and Chillie Con Carne. Great food, exceptional service. This really is a favourite for our family, and the new position has improved things no end.

Sunday
Dinner in Makassar
Absolutely dreadful. In all the years we have been going to PP, this meal stands out as the worst. Terrible letdown, after we had had an enjoyable experience there last year. I think that it has changed hands, or perhaps its an assumption based on a complete change of staff. Basically the staff didn't have a clue, running around like headless chickens no organisation whatsoever. They were surly, offered no raport, and (I promise you this is true) the only smile we got was when I told them I was not fussed on the food. We had a laugh about it afterwards as we thought that my comment was maybe the most positive feedback they got all night and considered it a compliment. To summarise, the garlic bread was inedible, the chicken breast was processed mush, and spaghetti with pesto was spaghetti floating in a bowl of olive oil, with nothing resembling pesto in the dish. This may all sound a bit harsh, and it could have just been an off night, but I won't be back.

Monday
Dinner in Guru
Very good meal, a pork loin for the wife, and pizzas for everyone else. Good friendly service and the food couldn't be faulted. Definitely a restaurant that is back in my good books

Tuesday
Dinner in O'Lume
What can I say that hasn't been said before. This is now not only my favourite restaurant in the port but quite possibly my favourite restaurant (full stop). Amazing service, amazing food, and the price was quite astonishing. The free starter thing, 2 steaks, 2 chicken breasts, 4 scrummy deserts, water, wine, soft drinks, home made chocolates, a drink on the house, all for 70€. The cheapest meal we had and head and shoulders the best. Only one other couple in on the night, which doesn't bother me but I continue to find astonishing

Wednesday
The girls went off together and ended up in Diablito. Enjoyed the food (although they said that the Pizzas didn't match up with the ones at Guru), but the service was not up to scratch.
We went to La Goleta. This isn't a restaurant I have seen mentioned too often in the forum, so I approached it with a little trepidation. It turned out to be a really unexpected treat. We skipped starters, but the main courses of Beef in Port for me, and pork in stroganoff sauce for my wife, went down a storm. A couple of nice deserts to follow, couldn't really fault it. Nice position on the sea front, seemed to be quite popular, and I can understand why.

Thursday
Back to Nicos. Just the same, you know what to expect and invariably get it. The meal was notable in that my wife claimed her Ribs were her single most enjoyable dish of the whole week.

Friday
Lunchtime at Guru - to pig out once again on nachos and stuff. Didn't go down quite as well this time, but perhaps by then we were all "natcho'd out".
Dinner (where else) back at O Lume. A small hiccup in that my daughter had to send her chicken back (slightly undercooked), but J'aime was very apologetic and sorted things out very graciously.

....and thats it. Add multiple visits to Bony's. There's a great team there this year, and Jero returning is a real boost, like a mini Jose we all thought.

Things really did seem much more expensive this year, but our visits are very much the focus of our year, and I refused to worry too much about the cost during our stay. Now we are back it turns out that we got away on our budget, if only by the skin of our teeth,

A great week, I can't wait until next year (and I've only been back for 4 hours)

Last edited by terryw; 12-07-2008 at 20:16.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 20:33

Terry

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed review. I really enjoyed reading it.

I am back out on 18th August - can't wait!

Sharon
Old 13-07-2008, 09:06

Great Review Terry - thanks. We passed La Goleta and it looked nice but had not a soul in. Just goes to show that a frontline position and good food cannot guarantee customers.

Sadly we didn't make it to O'Lume this time as the menu had nothing for our 12 year old niece who had just declared that she was vegetarian (lasted a whole 2 days until crispy duck was on offer at the Chinese!) but glad to hear that it is as good as ever.

Lala
Old 13-07-2008, 15:04

Just came back yesterday and again had a great holiday. We usually go the same restaurants but this year we were a bit more adventurous.

Dakota Tex Mex(2nights)- we went there on our first night because we knew we could get something there that pleased everyone. It was good nothing special but all plates went back empyt. The staff were also very friendly. However the second night was disappointing, the food was cold and poor in generally. we have gone there most years and it has been okay. Think it was maybe just an off night.

Nico(1 night)- Very good and much better than dakota tex mex. The staff are very friendly and although one off the dishes was wrong it was changed quickly. The chocolate brownies are brilliant. We also went there some mornings for the cake and coffee deal also very good.

La Pizzeria(2 nights)- Excellent fresh tasty food. Ran very efficiently and the food is great. You have to leave room for pudding because they are lovely.

Tiberi(2 nights)- Again very good however it is warm and there is little breeze. Staff again very friendly and look after customers well. The stir frys are lovely and a welcome change to pizza and pasta. The burgers are alos very good and they have good lunch time deals.

Guru(1 night)- I am not the biggest fan of guru but my family like it. The starters are very good. I had pizza for main and was not that impressed by it however my family hadother dishes that were good.

Cafe la Font(1 night)- I love it here. They do a set menu as well as an open menu. the portions are a good size and the food it fresh and tasty. Cheap and good quality. Also great for lunch. Well worth a try. They even do haggis.

RAF(1 night and most lunches)- The first time we went to PP nine years ago the first place I went was the RAF and every year since then I have always paid a visit. They have snack which are great for lunches, we go there most days for a andwich and a drink. Only went one night becasue we used it more for lunches.
Old 13-07-2008, 19:00

Terry, we have been going to La Goleta for years and like you wonder how sometimes very few people are in there. The crepes for sweet are fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it, spread the word.
Old 13-07-2008, 20:04

yeah sounds great
i also am glad jero is back
he is alot like jose
love them all
glad you had fun
xx