Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 13:42

Default Good food that won't break the bank

Hi Guys,

Been reading a lot about peoples recommendations but I'm a little put off some places due to prices. Being an ex-chef and total foodie i'm pretty critical when it comes to eating out and I'd much prefer something local and fresh cooked with love than a ponsy plate of decorative garnish and two mouthfuls of food.

Can anyone recommend places close to the purt centre that fit the bill for us?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 16:07

Hi,

It would help us if you gave us an idea of your budget for eating out. One person's idea of expensive is someone else's reasonable!

I know I keep saying this, but it really is a good idea to read some of the reviews on here which will give you an idea of price. There are lots of pages of reports and the Restaurant Reference guide has links to the majority of places to eat. When I first found this forum, I read for a week and although I'd been to PP before, I'd never heard of half of the places so it was a real education!

Also, don't forget the sticky topic about evening menu del dias which are good value.

I've heard good reports of Los Faroles, Sutton's, Brisa Marina, La Fortalesa and Ca'n Ferrar. If you type the names into the search function on here, it should bring up different reviews.

O Lume is also very popular but is situated behind the port road.

Jane
Old 11-06-2008, 18:16

Thanks Jane,

I guess €25 per person would be reasonable for a 'normal' dinner. I'd certainly like to go to a Tapas bar or typical Majorcan restaurant. I'm taking £800 for the week for 2 of us but dont want to spend all of it if i can help it. We're half board so can pick and choose what we want to do really.

Lee
Old 11-06-2008, 19:52

Hi Lee

We always look forward to going to Bar Coral at least once. They do a great shoulder of lamb with little roast potatoes. They have specials which you can order the day before such as a Zarzuela Fish Stew. All their food is home cooked and Pedro and Anna are locals and very welcoming. Not at all pretentious and always busy. We usually spend around 60 Euros for 2 - delicious alioli, olives and bread, couple of g and t's, main course, bottle of house wine and good coffees and brandy. It is just off the pine walk by calle pescadores.
Old 11-06-2008, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeropars View Post
Thanks Jane,

I guess €25 per person would be reasonable for a 'normal' dinner. I'd certainly like to go to a Tapas bar or typical Majorcan restaurant. I'm taking £800 for the week for 2 of us but dont want to spend all of it if i can help it. We're half board so can pick and choose what we want to do really.

Lee
Lee,

Try Bon Profit ( might be renamed now but in the square opp La Piazza), La Fortelesa, O'Lume, L'Olivera, El Posito,Los Zarzales for a start. All places not out to "catch tourists" but trying to offer good value local food in the port.

Realise I've probably missed a load of others ( watch the threads come in now ) but you should have no problem at these places for the sort of Euros you're ooking to spend.

Have a great time

BonysLad
Old 11-06-2008, 21:07

Looking at the evening set menu topic, a lot of them would come well into your budget, Lee. Around 12-18 euros per person, including wine.

We are definitely going to be cutting down this year - and I doubt very much that we'll be having three courses every night. Now I'm past 40, I get terrible indigestion!!!

Jane
Old 11-06-2008, 22:03

Many thanks for the recommendations guys. I dare say we'll have a mass night out where nothing is too expensive, like we always do but i absolutly adore the spanish cooking styles that I think if you pay over the odds then what your getting is not actually the best food. something the famalies would cook at home is where its all at for me.

Of course, its not just the food but the whole ettiquete and mentality behind mealtimes. Us brits simply dont do it!
Old 11-06-2008, 22:48

QUOTE ' Of course, its not just the food but the whole ettiquete and
mentality behind mealtimes. Us brits simply dont do it! '

Aeropars, I think you'll find a lot of us on this forum do !

Debs
Old 12-06-2008, 08:29

For me, truly authentic is tapas at Neptuno just off the square, and dinner at Cella Parra. No pretensions whatsoever!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49

Good suggestions Sandy. Both regular haunts of ours.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
QUOTE ' Of course, its not just the food but the whole ettiquete and
mentality behind mealtimes. Us brits simply dont do it! '

Aeropars, I think you'll find a lot of us on this forum do !

Debs
Debs, I meant in an eating out scenario. english restaurants are all about how many covers you can cram in to a night. Booking a table for the entire night is pretty much unheard of in this country.
Old 12-06-2008, 15:48

Hey Guys,

I've got some of your suggestions and scoured the forum for some places too.

I'm in need of some way of finging out where these places are. I'll list them incase anyone can help.

Los Zarzales
Tango
Trio
Bon Profit
O Lume
Bar Coral
Neptuno
Cella Parra.

Any help is much apreciated. I'm crap with directions so if anyone has any landmarks to look out for that would be even better. flying out friday... and cant wait for that first glass of wine!

Last edited by Aeropars; 12-06-2008 at 15:51.
Old 12-06-2008, 21:12
Super Moderator

Look in the column on the left hand side of this page, click on maps you can download. The restaurants that advertise give addresses then you can find it on the map. I THINK.Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2008, 22:33

hi,
How lucky you are to be going on Friday. I can only comment on the places we have eaten in.
los Zarzales....as you cross the river/bridge where people feed the fish walk towards town and when you reach Pension La Goleta ,look left down that side street samll supermarket on the left side of the street. Highly recommended, one of our favourites.

Trio....other end of town on Mendez Nunez which runs off the pine walk end .It is opposite Flora apts [on your right] and on the left before trio is Multi hire and the Briish Food Shop.Did not visit in May but great value menu del dia and have eaten here many times.

REGARDS TT. I hope I haven`t confused you but it will all fall into place once you are there.I almost forgot Bodega C`an Ferrer,great value and atmosphere ate there Nov , opposte taxi /bus rank is the tabac it is on the pedestrianized street behind it, we love it!

Last edited by tievenaghtanya; 12-06-2008 at 22:42.
Old 12-06-2008, 22:38

The best way to find the good price and great quality restaurants is to visit in the winter.

Most of the tourist restaurants will be closed with chairs stacked on tables...

The good ones will be full of locals and the few tourists that visit in the winter months, its great

Locals dont pay tourist prices so most of the tourist places close.

I had a conservation about this with a local in the winter, she said only the restaurants that 'work hard' open in the winter, how right she was !

Also worth a trip into pollensa Town ( inland a bit) a good choice of more local type of restaurants.

Picolo forno is popular and not peak tourist location
http://www.restaurantesenmallorca.co...en=C3=A7a.html

map here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=addr

Or Eu Centro, Carrer de Temple 3, Pollenca.
map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=17&iwloc=addr

Have a good holiday

Mark