Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   Eating venues - May '08 (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/3236-eating-venues-may-08-a.html)

Sharonh 02-06-2008 21:17

Eating venues - May '08

I was on holiday with my son (3) and my mother so it was a different kind of eating holiday than I usually have with my son and husband. We would usually eat in Pollensa more than I did this time. That may have been something to do with getting an upgrade (which I didn’t want) on the car hire and feeling like I was driving a bus instead of my usual small car!

It was several days into the holiday before we finally decided to eat out. First venue was Nico’s. It was reliable as always. We started with Nachos Machos – tortillas and melted cheese. A bit too greasy for my liking but mother and son really enjoyed. I had a vegetarian quesedilla and salad for mains which was really very nice. Mum had a chicken dish which I can’t remember too much about but she really liked and son had sausage and chips which he said were beautiful. They were obviously very salty though as he spent most of the night wakening up for drinks of water!

One of the days we decided to walk up to Pollensa – seemed like a good idea at the time! We stopped off at Café Trull – just at the roundabout past Eroski. It was lovely. We had coffee, tea and chocolate milk. I will definitely return – very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We were off to Il Gairdino for lunch as I was determined to try it again having missed it on my last few trips. Mum had wild mushroom ravioli which I tasted and it was delicious. I had spaghetti pesto was very nice but the mushroom dish was better. Son had tortellini carbonara – he loved it. I had orange tart for pudding and son had ice cream (and most of my very good orange tart!) The food was excellent but I felt the service let the place down. We ordered a half bottle of wine nearly immediately we sat down – it had still not arrived when the mains came out and I had to ask for it again. Again with puddings we ordered tea and coffee which they obviously forgot about as well as I had to enquire about this as well long after they cleared the puddings away. I will return but because of the service it did not leave the same ‘perfect’ feeling that I had about the place in the past.

We also had lunch in Corb Mari – toasties which were good and one day son and I had lunch at Café I’illa. – toastie for son and p’am oli for me reliable as ever.

We finally managed to try Makassar in the square. Why had we waited so long?! It was brilliant. Mum had steak – it was huge. I had tumbet – it was excellent and son had carbonara (yes again!). Mum and I shared a cheesecake for pudding and I had an excellent coffee. They had a very good set menu (€16) that looked very good. It was three courses and coffee. I will definitely be back as my husband will really enjoy the steak. Mum declared the place her new favourite.

During the stay we also went to Don Corleones. It has always been a reliable and cheap favourite. We started with Nachos and cheesy garlic bread. Garlic bread was good but the Nachos were overloaded with cheese. I had veggie pizza which was ok but nothing more. Mum had peppered chicken, which was very salty, and she left most of it. Son had pizza but left most of it – don’t know why. Not sure I will return just so regularly now.

We also tried Diablito (on the Formentor Road). Mum had Tuna Salad which was very good. Fresh tuna seared and coated in sesame seeds. I had Greek Salad – again very good and son had Penne Carbonara (again!). It looked lovely. The next table had pizzas which also looked excellent and the service was very good and attentive.

We also went to Café la Font twice for lunch and had really good baked potatoes – one with gorgeous homemade coleslaw. Son had sausage and chips both times. Mum had toastie and salad – very nice. We had puddings – the orange cheesecake and lemon drizzle cake (most of which my three year ate!). They were excellent. We had wine and on both occasions the bill was under €25 – very good value.

Sharon

JH02JLH 02-06-2008 21:58

Brilliant reviews, Sharon! Thanks very much! I have to say you made my mouth water as I was reading your comments.

Makassar sounds very good - we ate there a couple of years ago and I was disappointed with the food (most of it went back to the villa and our resident dog) so it looks like it's improved! May have to add it to our list for August.

Jane:)

LK1960 02-06-2008 22:44

Hi Sharon. Welcome home. Glad you had a good time and as always I've really enjoyed reading your eating out review. I think I will also add Makassar to my list for July - thought about it last year but didn't venture in having read some not so good reviews. However, I'm going to give it a try this time - I seem to remember a previous reviewer mentioning a roof terrace which sounded nice?

Where is Café la Font? Sorry if it's been asked before but I can't place it. Diablito sounds like it might be worth a try too. Thanks again. LK

scotty 03-06-2008 06:30

Thanks for sharing your reviews.It is always so interesting to read about places that you have never been to and to read what others thinks of your favourites.

We go to Don Colrelone for a drink and a pizza at lunchtime and been happy with our Pizza's( never tried anything else there so cannot comment) .It will be interesting to see if we notice any changes.It's also a great place for people watching .

Cheers

Scotty Lady

sglover 03-06-2008 19:17

tangos

please can you advise me where tangos has moved to?:confused:

sws97sdg 03-06-2008 19:28

Hi sg if you check out the thread here you will find directions and rewiews:)
http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...read.php?t=630

Sharonh 03-06-2008 20:20

Hi LK

Café la Font is just off the Square between the Dakota Tex Mex and Tiberi.

Sharon

LK1960 03-06-2008 20:30

Thanks Sharon. I can picture it now.

its cd 03-06-2008 21:51

cafe la font

Just wondering - is it connected to the Font de Gall ?

Sharonh 04-06-2008 07:55

Hi CD

My understanding is that they are connected. I am pretty sure the staff work in both.

Sharon

Lala70w 05-06-2008 11:23

Great review Sharon.

Disappointed to hear about the servicce at Il Giardino.

Like the others I think I may have to try Makassar - tried to go to the upstairs bar in September but it was closed.

lala