Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 00:39

Default Arrivederci Roma !! ( Il Giardino )

We had arranged to meet friends for an " early bird supper" at Il Giardino at 7.45 p.m. " Meal of the day" , advertised for lunchtimes and 6.30 - 8.30 p.m. all for 13.50, 15.50 or 18.50 for one, two, three courses respectively plus IVA and drinks.

Bonyladette decides we need to go early so parks me in the lovely evening sunshine at a cafe in the square with strict instructions of nothing stronger than coffee. Then toddles off with me wallet flapping open to las tiendas ( Do I not like that ?? ). Amazing mood change as this stunning chick arrives at the next table and we strike up this witty repartee. Conscious that my ugly big toe ( see reviews passim) might be in her line of sight, I push my leg further and further under the table until I'm virtually horizontal in my chair. After a while see BLT on the horizon approaching with no shopping bags ( a sure indication of gathering storm clouds !!!) and over she comes. Taking my posture as a gross act of familiarisation for some reason she does'nt exactly warm to the gal.
I pay la cuenta, somewhat embarassingly, and off I struggle to Il Giardino, whilst BLT mutters words like " Young enough to be your daughter, in your dreams, pathetic saddo* etc etc ".
Il Giardino ( Italian based fodder) sits at the base of the square in Pollenca and just screams out " Come and eat here !!! ". Perfect location for viewing all the social activity around you and you feel good being there. Mwah, mwah, mwah with friends on arrival but then totally miffed cost told "meal of the day" finished at lunchtime ( not what their sign said ). Not really the place ( or surrounding clientele ) to have a good public argument so we're onto a la carte. Place heaving and as we have a good table hopefully settle down to a nice meal.
Starters arrive promptly and very good ( Fish soup, beef capaccio and vegetable flan). We then wait yonks for the main course ( we all had pasta dishes) but what the hell you're in a nice place. My tortellini when it did appear was overcooked and slightly congealed. Service bit hit or miss ( placed packed in mitigation) but when you're proffered two bottles of wine when you clearly have two half drunk bottles is beyond me. To add insult to injury , a tray of coffees arrive even before we have ordered coffee ( for gawd's sake just bring what we have ordered !!!).

So jury out as far as I'm concerned but friends and BLT really enjoyed it. Perhaps it was just my mood, to be fair.

Saw the chick again as we were leaving accompanied by some handsome, cool dude.

Yeah, you guessed it, he was a lot, lot younger than me !!!!

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 12:26

I meant to have replied to you earlier, but thanks for a great and very interesting review! We ate at Il Giardino years ago - it always seems to be a very busy place due to its great location in Pollensa so we were doubtful of getting a table in July and August.

I love the little tales you tell as part of the review!

Keep them coming!

Jane
Old 07-05-2008, 17:40

Jane,

Thanks and for all your hard work and effort trying to "moderate" us unruly "posters".

Back to Blighty tomorrow to catch your good weather ( rain sweeping in here for the weekend !!!).

Saving you a bottle of the Mesquida 2005 Negre ( Fraid could get only 50 cl bottles ) and will leave one with Jose Uno at Bonys next time I'm here ( early June) for when you come on your hols.

Take care

BonysLad
Old 07-05-2008, 18:21

Thank you very much! That's lovely of you! Big grins here...ear to ear!

Jane
Old 07-05-2008, 18:28

Bonyslad
Well I will miss your posts. They really brighten up my days. Almost believe I am there! Only ever been to Bonys lunchtime for a baguette when they first opened, but when we are next in PP 17 August to 28 August will call in for early evening drinks - who knows you may be there.

Marilyn
Old 07-05-2008, 18:31

Smile arriverderci roma

A real class act. The proprietor is a real pro. And his wife is absolutely charming. It's all fresh produce which changes as the seasons change. Not cheap but worth every penny. And the service is just so smiley and cheerful.
Old 07-05-2008, 19:53

Default Il Giardino

Graham

I agree. We have eaten in Il Giardino many times and always enjoyed the experience. The last few trips we just haven't had time to visit it. I am back out mid May and it is on my 'must visit' list.

Sharon