Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-2008, 23:58

Default SPRING 2008 (Part 2)

Sorry, there's a little more:

MAXIM
Maxim opened this year on Saturday 5 April, we went the next day, Sunday and found a very pleasant atmosphere and general calmness to the place, which is not always the case in the height of the summer. We werenít at all rushed and were left to take as long as we wanted in choosing from the very interesting menu, which again, in busier times hasnít always been so. At this time of year, there were not many people eating outside, although there were a few tables available for those prepared to brave the slightly chilly conditions.

Unlike a lot of establishments in Pollenca, which are predominantly meat or fish based, Maxim does offer some variations such as Salads and a choice of risottos and Pasta dishes including plenty of choice for vegetarians. If meat and fish are your thing, King Prawns in a sweet and sour sauce with wild rice or a Thai Green Chicken Curry are an altogether different option from what you may find in your local Chinese or Indian restaurant.

But because it is Maxim, it has to be Bruschetta to start, tapenade, red peppers and garlic on toasted ciabatta bread with melted goats cheese. The portions here are quite large so we have found one to share between two is plenty. This was followed by spinach and ricotta ravioli and shoulder of roast lamb for main courses, and apple crumble to finish.

Although these guys are South Americans, they are passionate about Mallorquin wine and always have some interesting choices. They were one of the first Pollensa restaurants to include Hedederos de Ribas on their list, and this year they were recommending the Ses Ferritges 04, (18.50 euros) a superb red from Miquel Oliver from Playa i Llevant, which slipped down very well. Incidentally, this was also the same wine that Tony from El Posito was talking about, when we were there on our first night. One small beer, and a gin & tonic together with a bottle of water and the total bill was 77 euros, which I thought was very reasonable.

One small criticism, we thought the lighting inside could have been slightly dimmer, the place was only half full and it did lack a little atmosphere, but it would be churlish to worry too much about such a detail

THE IVY GARDEN
Whether or not the Ivy Garden has changed hands recently, Iím not sure, but what they have done is to close the side entrance,(where you had to walk through the bar into the garden to see what was going on) and brought or leased the clothes shop next door on the main Formentor Road, which now forms the main eating area. This has a large clear window facing out onto the street, so any potential customers can see what is on offer before committing yourself, but once inside, the room is surprisingly intimate. The main entrance is now through what was the Ivy 49 wine bar at the front of the building, (the wine bar is still there and on our arrival, was doing a roaring trade in cocktails, most of which it appeared were being consumed by the owner and her staff). The old side entrance area is now up for sale, together with the garden itself, although we were told if no suitable offers are received this year, they may well bring the garden area back into use.

There were four of us that evening and I canít remember exactly what we all had, although the menu is substantially different to whatís displayed on their Web Site, which obviously needs updating. Itís a simple affair on one sheet of paper, offering a choice of about 6 or 7 starters and mains, which in itself is no bad thing, as it should mean the food is all freshly prepared. No great surprises, a couple of fish dishes, a vegetarian option, steak, chicken, and, perhaps with a nod to the English gourmet pub, liver and bacon and sausages in onion gravy.

A bottle of Vallformosa Noble cava from Penedes as an aperitif, (28.00 euros), four starters and main courses, which from memory, were Liver & Bacon, Steak au Poivre and two Chicken Breasts in a Herb Crust. This was all washed down with two bottles of Macia Batle Red at 21.50 euros per bottle, which I thought was rather expensive for an admittedly very good, but not particularly exclusive Mallorquin wine, and one Vega de la Reina from Rueda, (this was their House White at 12.50 euros). The total bill was 218 euros, which again, is not particularly cheap by Pollensa standards.

However, it could have been a lot worse as we never got to see the menu again to choose our sweets, as by then, the staff appeared to be more interested in what was happening next door in the Wine Bar. When we finally got to enquire about puddings, we were told that the Chef had gone home! Still it did not spoil a great evening, and apart from thinking it was all somewhat over priced, it would be difficult to find any fault.

Speaking from a purely personnel view, for that amount of money I would prefer to be somewhere like Stay, La Llonja or on the waters edge at the Illa Dí Or. All of these places have the location, sea views, impeccable service etc. and dare I say it, ďthe wow factorĒ, that I feel this sort of money demands. I also kept thinking The Ivy Garden wasnít much different than a lot of restaurants in England, although in itself, is that such a bad thing? It advertises itself as ďInternational CuisineĒ and I suppose this is about right. The food is good, with friendly service and a pleasant ambience etc. However I donít think I would rush back there this summer, but it might be a different story on a cold, wet night. In many ways itís similar to Tribecaís which is situated a couple of doors down, and I think a lot of people would really enjoy eating here. It may not be a genuine Mallorquin dining experience, but is still recommended.
Sponsored Links