Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-2008, 16:55

Default Fly me to the moon ( via Ca'n Cuarassa) !!

I'd have sold my soul to the Devil for a seat in Basie's sax line up. Working over the years with Frank, Ella and Sarah , it would have been the ultimate job. Not even being a Sunblock Application Operative on PP beach would have come near it !!!!I have this regular dream. The "Count" tinkles on the ivories and counts us in. Old Blue Eyes is away "Fly me to the moon ,and let me play amongst the stars..................................In other words I'm in love". Sinatra drops his shoulder and that's my cue. Up out of my seat I'm filling a twelve bar riff. It's note perfect, I'm on top of my game. Frank turns and gives me a wry grin ( Frank don't do smiles) and a little half salute. I sit down again bursting with pride and happiness. It don't get any better.Well it actually gets worse cos the trombone is basting away. I wake up to find BonyLadette snoring beside me ( If she reads this it's a cold tongue pie diet for yours truly over the next few days !!!! )
Well to get to the point of the story, there's a tribute night to Frank at the Alcudia Auditorium advertised in their spring programme and local press as "Siurell Big Bang" ( ?????). We're intrigued so a must show for us.BLT and I therefore swing by Ca'n Cuarassa for a pre show supper. ( Note the lingo, folks, cos we, musicians, don't "go to" places, we just "swing by" ).
Ca'n Cuarassa, sister restaurant to Stay ( see reviews passim) is situated on the bay road to Alcudia someway out of the port. Exactly the same format as Stay , meal of the day for 29 Euros +IVA which includes three courses ( four choices of starter, four of main plus designated pud).The price also includes good wine, water and coffee. Food, like Stay, is good quality international type menu and also, like Stay, service is very professional and friendly without being obsequious. So really choice between the two comes down to location because if it's a warm summer evening Stay wins in our book being waterside ( although CC does have a pleasant garden which lies below the road ). However if you're forced to eat inside , the window view of the bay from CC are stunning.
We therefore enjoyed a lovely view, good meal overlooking the bay bathed in lovely evening sunshine. Little point in describing what we ate cos they change the menu del dia on a weekly basis.
And so onto the show. Alcudia Auditorium is a very modern theatre ( check it out folks, it's well worth it ) and as we walked in we were gobsmacked to see a full Basie line up on stage ( 5 sax's, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, bass, drums and the leader on piano). Place packed, obviously by people who realised, unlike us that " Bang" was a typo which should have read " Band". Spanish TV cameras were rolling and this divine blonde creature comes onto stage to introduce the first song, which she does to every number and even duets on "Something Stupid" later on. I'm dribbling ny now and continue to do so for the next hour and a half as we go through a medley of those great songs that will never die or be surpassed.
Frank ( Frederic Vicens ) although obviously not at the front of the queue in the looks department ( short, stocky and , gulp, sporting a pigtail !!!! ) certainly made up for it with the voice, fabulous when you consider he was not singing in his native tongue.
Joined for a couple of numbers by a girl singer and a Julio sound alike for " Summer Wind". What looked like the Spanish ballroom dancing champions strutted their stuff on a few numbers as well. Great, great show and all for 12 Euros per ticket ( Heck I've paid some buskers nearly that in the past, not those famous trio from PP though !!!! ).
Standing ovations all round and another encore of " New York, New York".
Do you know? I reckon Frank was looking down on us and, yes, even raising a smile !!!!!BonysLa
Sponsored Links
Old 20-04-2008, 16:50

BL,

I absolutely loved this story - your best yet ( and that is saying something!!)
The place you descibe sounds wonderful - doubt if I will ever manage a visit in my two weeks - the beauty of been there long term - one gets to do all sorts!! Maybe one day!! Your description made me feel as if I was there....dancing to the music too!! Nobody to beat our "Frank" and yes I am sure he was looking down!! Yes and another restaurant to add to my list!! That also sounds perfect!! Thanks for a wonderful night out!!
Old 20-04-2008, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
BL,

The place you descibe sounds wonderful - doubt if I will ever manage a visit in my two weeks - the beauty of been there long term - one gets to do all sorts!!
Favie , Thanks for your kind comments. Looking up the programme of events it's mainly spanish theatre in May but on Sunday 4th 125 musicians will be performing the poems of "Carmina Burana" ( medieval poems written in Latin and set to music in the 1930's by the German Carl Orff. ( Had to look it up in Wikipeadia cos my musical knowledge don't stretch that far !!!! ).

Don't exactly sound like a bundle of larfs but each to his own I suppose.

take care

BonysLad
Old 20-04-2008, 19:58

Dam ....I am going to miss that one!!!

Have Fun
Old 20-04-2008, 22:56
Super Moderator

Wink

thats my first full day in PP, unfortunately i will be jetlagged so will have to give it a miss What a pity !!! Dam these 2 hour flights.