Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 11:56

Default Ca'n Costa y todos ese Jazz !!!!

It takes a lot for me to flee the Bonynest on a Monday evening. Firstly the Sunday supplements to catch up with ( & sometimes Saturday's as well if it has been a particularly hedonistic weekend !!!! ). Secondly there's a double dollop of " Corrie Street" ( dontcha just luurve that spunky kid, David Platt ??Reckon an MBE for the attempted murder of ghastly Gail and if he'd have rid the nation of that sanctimonious prig Ken Barlow, I'd have personally whispered in the PM's shell like for a big K !!!!! ).

However the lure of some grub followed by an " International " Jazz band at the Pollenca Club proved too strong and so Bonyladette and I are sitting in the square at 7 p.m. enjoying an aperitif and the last of the evening sunshine. ( sorry Jane, outside of the club cos Cafe Espanyol immersed in shade and BLT don't do " al fresco" under 20 degrees C !!! ).

Then we stroll on past the church to Ca'n Costa for din dins. Greeted warmly, another aperitif with some olives and real peanuts ( knew they were real cos I nearly broke me nashers on em !!!! ).

Shown to our table, bread appeared and simultaneously we said to each other " Bread and napkins ". Should explain really cos we have this theory that the best restaurants always have great bread and good napkins. Same all over the world, never fails and this place had it in spades.The bread was perfect, warm but not hot, soft and beautifully textured. Dips appeared. Two bowls, one filled with infused olive oil but the second with a puree of strawberries, port wine and pepper. Totally blew me away and by now happy to end this review with a big thumbs up.

However that would be selling you short cos we moved onto beef capaccio and the asparagus tartlet followed by duck's breat glazed in cassis for BLT and an ostrich steak para mi. Mine was accompanied by a perfectly poached egg on a bed of asparagus accompanied by a small tower of real chips.

The pleasant Maitre'D kept wandering over apologising for the lack of atmosphere, it was early and it was a Monday night mid April but we were there for the food not social networking. Funky , jazzy music pitched at the right level in the background ( that plonker James Blunt did come on but we were leaving by then !!! ).

To sum up, seriously nice food and great attention to detail. BLT came out of the loo and wrapped her mitts around me boat race waffling on about the scented handcream !!!!!

Not cheap ( about 100 euros) for aperitifs, two courses each , good bottle of Rioja and coffee. However food of this standard ain't cheap.

Happily we tripped on to the Club for " All that Jazz"

"international" is probably too liberal a word for a bunch of local guys but the two sax players, although residing in Pollenca, originally hailed from Argentina and Cuba. These cats, playing the stuff they love were superb. Joined by guest performances from a harmonica playing blues singer, a great guitarist singer and finally a crooner. Everybody had a wonderful time and with two rounds of drinks for under 10 Euros in total it was the best musical bargain since a chip butty lunch at the Cavern Club back in the early 60's. So the price of the meal plus this entertainment made it good value overall. We headed for home just after midnight with the words of Chicago ringing in our ears.

" my kinda town Pollenca is, my kind of people too ..............."

It's a Fira there this weekend as well.

Be reading those Saturday supplements next Monday night, you bet !!!!!!

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 15-04-2008, 12:18

Bonyslad - you are making us green with envy with these fab posts!

Sounds like another great night out - I am definitely heading to Can Costa in June.

Oh and agree 100% with your theory on bread and knapkins! Nice "real" table linen can always get me in the door (or on the Terrace) of a restaurant.

Keep em coming!

Lala
Old 15-04-2008, 12:23

You certainly know how to make us jealous don't you BL

Fab review of a great evening As you say the best things in life are worth paying a bit more for and Ca'n Costa certainly ticks all the boxes. The service, attention to detail , and little touches like the flavoured oils make for a wonderful eating experience...and the ostrich IS divine!

Counting down the days 'till my next fix

Debs

PS Agree with you about about Gail Platt...ghastly
Old 15-04-2008, 14:06

Hi BDL 3 games to go can they? will they? do they want to??

Great post enjoyed reading it, just to let you know Stacey Kent is at The Stables Wavenden on 18th June so looks like an evening out.

We are of to Cuba in July hope for more Jazz there hip.

Have you been to O'lume lately ??.

Keep post coming PLEASE
Old 15-04-2008, 15:22
Super Moderator

Ahh! Bonyslad, your words paint a lovely picture, made me feel like i was there with you. As for the jazz group , they sound like the ones who play at El Ancla on a sunday afternoon in the summer. The Argentinian could be called Gacho, if it's the one i am thinking of , he is a great guy. 18 days and counting.
Old 15-04-2008, 15:34

Yes great post bonyslad we love Ca'n costa, great pasta dishes, you make it sound like we are there with you, was the Maitre'D the rather tall glamarous lady, I think she is English, she was very helpful and friendly last summer?
Keep the posts coming
Old 15-04-2008, 17:49

sws97 The Maitre 'D at Ca'n Costa is a charming gentleman called Tolo

Maybe the glamorous lady (?! )you're talking about was my daughter as she worked in CC ..albeit the summer before last!

Debs
Old 15-04-2008, 19:03

Oh BL can you tell a story! Wonderful stuff!

Must try Ca'n Costa when we are over - you have sold it to me!!

Hope you catch up on your supplements before the next lot are due!!
Old 15-04-2008, 19:16

Sorry debz, senior moment, I'm thinking of the one in Il Giardino, shes the tall glamourous one, I remember you saying your daughter worked at Ca'n Costa now.
Old 15-04-2008, 20:08

Default Ca'n Costa

Sparky,

Think you're right in that some of them play at El Ankla. Believe the fantastic altoist Argentinian guy's name is Santiago but could be wrong

Snowy,

You trying to set the " moderator " on us again? Trust you will be going to the Bella Vista Social Club in Havana ? Will miss Stace as will be back here in this hell hole by then. Enjoy.

Debs,

Thanks for clearing it up re the Maitre'D. Thought I might have remembered a tall attractive blonde but the guy, although fairly quiet, was really friendly.

Anyway don't get too jealous, life ain't exactly a total bunch of cherries here.

Problems , decisions ????

a) Is it safe to upgrade from a factor 15 to factor 10 sunblock yet?

b) Has Heather Mills really gone to the USA?, am I safe to go out at night?

c) Should I put the boat in the water tomorrow or leave it a week ?

d) Will Jose Uno get upset if I order me late night brandy from Jose Dos ?

I could go on

Take care
Old 15-04-2008, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by favie View Post
Oh BL can you tell a story! Wonderful stuff!

Must try Ca'n Costa when we are over - you have sold it to me!!

Hope you catch up on your supplements before the next lot are due!!
Favie,

You really must try Ca'n Costa - it's fab!

Thanks for a wonderful review BL...Just keep them coming!

Jane
Old 15-04-2008, 20:32
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Solution to problem (d)

[d) Will Jose Uno get upset if I order me late night brandy from Jose Dos ?]

Bonyslad a possible solution to this problem might be to wait until Jose uno takes off on one of his flights on his bike and put a quick order in with Jose dos, hope this helps.
Old 16-04-2008, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLadenEspana View Post

Snowy,

You trying to set the " moderator " on us again? Trust you will be going to the Bella Vista Social Club in Havana
Snowy,

Silly me, I meant the Buena Vista Social Club in Havana , have you seen those old dudes ?

Must have Bella on me mind , think I'll ring me shrink ( might have a subconscious shoe fetish !!!!! )

BonysLad :