Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 19:49

Default Eating and drinks costs 2008

By coincidence I bought some Euro notes exactly a year ago today at 1.423.

Today what would it be, something like 1.22.

Now that’s one heck of a drop.

Not my fault is it? Whose fault then?
Add that drop of 15% or so on to the normal year on year inflation and you are going to pay 20% more for your meals out, food purchases and drinks on your holidays in PP, or wherever in the Euro zone.

Looking at some of the menu prices exhibited on the Forum, some without the 7% Vat and you’ll be paying probably more than you’d pay in the UK.

And one place said they’d do a Menu del Dia in March, April and October.Why not all season, they have to get people through the doors.

Last year in Catalunya I noticed lots of places which had a MDD continued it all day right through in to the evening. Now as a rule in Majorca this stops at 4pm,.Yes there are some exceptions, but 4pm is a “rule of thumb”.

Now as I said it isn’t my fault the £ is a lot weaker against the Euro so why should I have to pay more?

The Brits are Spain’s bread and butter and this will be a testing season, particularly for families on holiday, needing to watch and see that the money lasts all the holiday.

Ok, so, what are the traders and restaurateurs going to do about it?

They can’t expect to say not our problem. They have to find ways and means of getting us through their doors and spending what we are prepared to, or as BL alluded to in another recent post, there will be casualties.

What about more introducing all day MDD’s, wine offers. Unless they do something they will suffer.

Views anyone?

Now I notice today and in the last few days, certain locals , with business interests, have been posting to the Forum. Perhaps we shall have some views from them?

Porto
Sponsored Links
Old 14-04-2008, 21:57

I know that me, my wife and two kids plan to eat in more whilst in PP. I love to cook and frankly with Mallorcan and UK prices almost on par when eating out, its the only way we can afford two weeks on the island.
Old 15-04-2008, 08:40

Agree Mark - we love to eat out but cooking in your villa and eating in the garden can also be lovely.
Old 15-04-2008, 09:30

Default Eating & Drinking Costs 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portofan View Post
By coincidence I bought some Euro notes exactly a year ago today at 1.423.

Today what would it be, something like 1.22.

Now that’s one heck of a drop.

Not my fault is it? Whose fault then?

Ok, so, what are the traders and restaurateurs going to do about it?

They can’t expect to say not our problem. They have to find ways and means of getting us through their doors and spending what we are prepared to, or as BL alluded to in another recent post, there will be casualties.

What about more introducing all day MDD’s, wine offers. Unless they do something they will suffer.

Views anyone?

Porto
Porto,

As I've said before, don't think people realise yet what the rise in the Euro value will mean til there here.

A little example , was having a few beers watching the footy in a sports bar at the weekend and I realised I was paying nearly four pound a pint !!! Now if that had been a poncy London boozer I would have said they're having a larf !!!! But the old sunshine here clouds your judgement a lot.

it's no one's fault mate, cos we live in a market economy and you have to take the rough with the smooth. We've all enjoyed the overvalue of the pound in the past but if I was an exporter to the Eurozone and employing Brits in the process I wouldn't be worrying too much about the price of a pint here !!!!

You ask what are the local business's going to do about it? Are you seriously suggesting you expect them to cut their standard of living to keep British Holiday makers happy ?

No, the market will decide the future and what you'll see is an extension of the meal of the day ticket which is what I think you're suggesting.
I've said before the restaurants here are in for a tough year and value ( i.e. quality at the right price ) providors only will survive.

Notice that Maxim's , for example, are offering a very good meal of the day package at 20 euros per head including wine.

Sure we'll see more of this type of package, so don't fret too much.

Apart from the sterling value of my property here ( irelevant cos they'll carry me out in my box from it !!!! ) I have no business interests here at all.

BonysLad
Old 15-04-2008, 11:49

Default eating and drinking costs

at the rate the euro is going at the moment i can forsee a seriously reduced amount of our favourite posts on eating out and more posts on eating in. we will need to start a new thread on recipe ideas or perhaps borrow some from the tapas bar. at almost 4 quid a pint it looks like i will be bringing my guitar with me and doin some buskin. if anyone sees me close to tolos please give generously. i will be the one impersonating an eeeejit who cant sing (havent a note in my head)

ps could all you very lucky more permanent residents (jealous) keep us informed of how the MDD situation changes.

regards

gary
Old 15-04-2008, 12:43

LOL Gary

The guitar may work but avoid the accordian or the violin - I am bringing earplugs this year!
Old 15-04-2008, 13:46

What is the availabiltiy / prices of take aways? Havent tried any there - except an emergency from Llenaire restaurant, but that wasnt really supposed to be - do they do deliveries I wonder? Shall we start our own, with singing delivery men!!
Old 15-04-2008, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
What is the availabiltiy / prices of take aways? Havent tried any there - except an emergency from Llenaire restaurant, but that wasnt really supposed to be - do they do deliveries I wonder? Shall we start our own, with singing delivery men!!
ill sign up for that bella, leather thong in tow. must shave my butt cheeks though

gary
Old 16-04-2008, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
What is the availabiltiy / prices of take aways? H
Bella,*Take aways !!!! Take Aways !!!!!*Get yerself out of dem fancy shoes and into the kitchen, girl !!!*Plenty of good cheap local produce awaiting your culinary skills !!!*( Says he still recovering from a rollicking from BLT for buying dates with stones in from the supermercado yesterday !!!!!)*Modern wimmin, huh !!!!*My Mum once cooked us kids roast beef and yorkshires on a primus stove when we was crossing the Sahara. Came with full trimmings and even sent me Dad off on the Camel 50 miles to Timbuktoo to fetch the Horseradish sauce. Finished it all off with apple crumble and custard.*don't make 'em like that anymore !!!!!*Take a deep breath, Babe, learn how to turn the oven on and as Ainsley would say*" Get Cooking !!!! "*LOL*BonysLad ( Lighting the blue touch paper and retiring quietly !!!! )**Who was saying this forum was getting boring ???
Old 16-04-2008, 10:57

LOL @ BonysLadenEspana!

I'm definitely going to have to eat in more and eat out less this year if my little pot of Euro's is to last us two weeks. Only trouble is the thought of making a roast beef dinner plus apple crumble and custard for four people in an apartment where the kitchen consists of two electric rings isn't very appealling!

Seriously though, this thread has certainly made me think and if nothing else at least I'll be prepared. Thanks for that.

LK
Old 16-04-2008, 11:30

Hubby and I were discussing this last night and this year we'll definitely be cutting down on the amount of times we go out. With two children who no longer look at the kid's menu, eating out is much more expensive than it used to be.

Or...we'll just have a main course and pud rather than indulge in bread and olives, followed by a starter then a main and dessert. If I have a big meal at night now I'm over 40 (!) it keeps me awake all night!

Having the main meal at lunchtime is an option as well and taking advantage of the Menu del Dia then having a snack at night.

I know I'll be stocking up with wine in the supermarket and making use of the lovely food they have!

Jane
Old 16-04-2008, 11:52

I understand everyones concern about the euro,it is poor ar present!
Busat is still possible to enjoy a meal we all remember Pollenca for without spending too much.
I know more about the town rather than the port as I spend more time there.
Il Gardino do a great range of pasta and rissoto dishes for 8 or 9 euros as does Pasada and Cantonet.
We all love the roast meats and grilled fish of mallorca but you dont want a Can Costa or Clivia everynight!
Look around its all there and we know why we enjoy PP and P so much!
Im sure other areas of the Med will be the same with higher prices.
Im off to Poll on friday night for a few days Ill keep on eye on things!
Old 16-04-2008, 13:07

Anyone old like me and remember the year the euro first came in? We all agreed that prices had gone up and the Port had become more expensive than it was when we counted in pesetas!

There is only 2 of us and we spend roughly £80 a day - eating out plus all the little extras like drinks, ice-creams and bottles of water can soon add up. When I'm on hol I don't like to think about money and operate a "have whatever you want" policy but we have found that over the years that we just can't eat out twice a day, every day. It's not just the money - we get fed up! Making your own lunch (or even just buying boccadillos from the supremarket) and eating it on your balcony/ in your garden can be just as nice - and often more relaxing.

We will be in a villa for our first week this year and will probably only eat out 2or 3 times - we'll leave the splurge for the following week when we are staying in a hotel in the Port. The rest of the time I'll cook - BBQs mainly so its not too hot in the kitchen, but the local produce is fab and I'll enjoy cooking.

Lala
Old 16-04-2008, 14:09

The drinks in PP are still at reasonably prices, depending on where you go, if you stay on the front or in the square expect to pay 4 euros a pint, but move into the streets for prices which are considerable lower.
Old 16-04-2008, 15:12

Default Eating and drink costs

As they say, you win some you lose some. It will obviously cost us more, but we have always had a breakfast in the apartment plus a light sandwhich around tea-time, which with local shopping does not cost a great deal, we tend to spend our money on our evening meal, perhaps i'll cut out that fancy sweet i never really want anyway! Most of us do not expend a great deal of energy on holiday, we burn less calories, why the need for 2 meals a day? When we have a car we tend to pop into Lidil in Inca to stock on water, cold meats etc. They have some amazing prices.

My cunning plan for this coming season is instead of finishing my meal with a bottle of vino, i will start with one, by then i won't be worrying or caring what the exchange rate for the Euro is