Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/)
-   -   The rain in Spain (actually in Kashmir !!!) (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/bars-restaurants-pollensa-majorca/2987-rain-spain-actually-kashmir.html)

BonysLadenEspana 12-04-2008 16:27

The rain in Spain (actually in Kashmir !!!)

Question: Where is Kasmir ?

Dumbed down answer: Next to Maxim's in the square.

Settling into a new Mallorquian lifestyle, Bonyladette has laid down a few ground rules " You, can cut your drinking down, opportunity to change to a healthier diet, eating out the exception rather than the rule, blah, blah,blah...."

Glancing at the obits in the Diario de Mallorquia she's probably right cos most old boys " va a Dios " well into their nineties. So two weeks into working through the Mediterannean Cookbook and it's oily fish, fresh fruit and salads, olive oil drizzled vegetables ( alas not drizzled enough to make chips !!!!) all the way. So a night off last night and we revert to national type and head for a few pints of Lager and a good curry. ( Blimey, we'll we watching Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway next !!!!!! )

A couple of pints of San Miguel in Bonys first. Incidentally , a new waiter this year, lovely lad called Jose Luis who hails from Venezuela. To avoid any confusion, I christen him Jose "Dos". Meanwhile Jose "Uno" is careering around the square on his bike with a 20ft plank of wood, scattering all before him, and looking like he is going to take flight. BLT reckons it's some sort of emergency DIY but I reckon he's been watching Will's Cranwell passing out parade !!!!

Enough preamble ( get on with , ED ) and to get to the point of the thread onto Kasmir. About four tables taken inside ( interestingly all locals not tourists).

The price of your meal is governed by your main meal c 15/17 Euros per head.For this you get a poppadum plus usual sources, a starter of a samosa,barghi and tandori , followed by your main dish plus Basmati rice.Chicken Passanda para mi and a chicken dansak para madame.Washed down with more San Miguel it was certainly quite tasty. They need to ease up on the colorants though cos mine had the hue of day glow orange.

Then it starts to rain, this isn't just April showers but your real rain. Gene Kelly "Singing in the rain" rain, Somerset Maugham "Sadie Thompson" rain. To a man we all jump up and rush outside and clear the tablecloths and glasses from the empty but laid tables al fresco. Kinda breaks the ice cos we all start talking and we share a warm feeling to have shown such community spirit.

Eventually ( after about an hour ) the rain eases . Jose " Uno" is nowhere to be seen, he's either called it a night or flying halfway to Palma by now.

Sometimes only a curry will suffice. Fun night and back on the sardines today!!!!

BonysLad :):):)

p.s. It's raining again now, so trying to amuse meself ( plus you I hope ??)

Lala70w 12-04-2008 16:48

LOL! Thanks BL!

Apart form the additive overload - was it a good curry? :)

Lala

favie 12-04-2008 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonysLadenEspana (Post 19530)
BonysLad
p.s. It's raining again now, so trying to amuse myself ( plus you I hope ??)

You certainly did that BonysLad, :D

What a hoot - great story. Sounds as if you are having a grand old time down there - and a healthy lifestyle!! ;)

JH02JLH 12-04-2008 17:42

Bonyslad...

AA Gill had better watch out! Fantastic review!

Quote:

They need to ease up on the colorants though cos mine had the hue of day glow orange.

Haha!! Hilarious!

Quote:

p.s. It's raining again now, so trying to amuse meself ( plus you I hope ??)

Well, you certainly amused me! By the way - it's been beautiful here in the UK today -and warm out of the wind!

Thanks
Jane:D

Portofan 12-04-2008 20:11

The rain in Spain (actually in Kashmir)

Hmnnnnnnn BLE!

Well it's easier than addressing you as Bonyslad!

Having had a few curries over the years in Kashmir, I have my mind's eye picture of the rain scenario and of Jose on the bike with the plank of wood.

Great post , my good man, you are in excellent form these days away from the world of work, it seems like you have had a great weight lifted off your shoulders, A guy I used to work with used to say "Work is the master, some people have another name for it".:)

Actually , I edited it so far as having had a small libation so far this evening, the spelling etc was a bit adrift.

For your info looking out of the Manor House here just after 8pm there is a gorgeous pinky hue reflecting off the outbuildings.

So, keep those "on site" postings coming, I for one enjoy them and probably speak for all readers!:D

Had to edit the spelling again!:(

Porto;)

Sparky 12-04-2008 20:50

Spanish/Indian rain

Absolutely priceless Bonyslad. The thought of Jose on his bike :eek::eek: had me and hubby rollin. Thanks for brightening up another boring saturday night.

its cd 12-04-2008 21:42

great post

fantastic post BLE ( pinching the TLA from Porto - hope you don;t mind )

How long you staying in PP ?

It looks as though it could be July before I get back so I just love your tales of PP ......... keeps away the homesickness .... strange isn;t it that you can have more homesickness for a place you don;t actually live than for your own home

debz1 13-04-2008 00:30

Bonyslad great post!

Will soon be joining the 'more time in PP ' 'away form the world of work' brigade, as early retirement will soon be upon me and the chelseadon..YAY :D

See you soon out jogging on Pine Walk..well maybe not jogging, but a gentle stroll and cafe con leche at the Il'a D'Or :)

BonysLadenEspana 13-04-2008 21:29

The rain in Spain

Thanks Guys for your comments.*Specifically*Lala, * Had better certainly in Brick Lane or Southall but equally had a lot worse as well in the UK. To use that horrible expression " Does what it says on the tin" but not remarkable to be honest.*CD,*Here til early May, home for a series of weddings May and then back again early June for another two months.*Debs,* If you catch me jogging, that Ruby you wanted all that while ago is yours, I promise. Get yourselves out here, it's a simple , stress free life and even with the strength of the Euro at pres, cheaper living than at home.*Take care *BonysLad:):):)

Alcanada 14-04-2008 22:29

Agree that Kashmir "does what it says on the tin". Ive never had a bad meal there. Whenever I'm in PP for an extended stay (2 weeks or more) I always eat there once. Although this is usually after a discussion with family and/or friends as to whether we should be eating Indian food on holiday in Mallorca. But hey what harm does one night do? ;)

I can only think of one other Indian restaurant in PP and that's the one not far from El Pozo on the main drag -never been there so don't know what it's like.

Somehow the idea of having a curry in PP seems more acceptable than having a Chinese meal - but I don't know why :confused: It could be that on the two occasions I've given Chinese food a try in PP it was disgusting. Is there a good Chinese in PP? There's certainly enough of them, or should I say too many of them :mad:

Lala70w 15-04-2008 08:31

Hi Alcanada! :)

The other Indian is called Everest - not tried personally but there was a review on this Forum just the other day. Link here

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...ead.php?t=2988

I think a curry is great in the heat with a bottle of warm rioja - we don't always have a curry when in Mallorca but have had before and enjoyed.

Agree that there are too many Chinese restaurants now but we do always have a Chinese meal one night on our hols. Here's a previous thread about this very topic

http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...read.php?t=678

A Chinese one night is a good option I think if you have kids or an other half like mine who doesn't do red meat or fish and starts to get sick of pasta or chicken in a sauce. We have tried Pascalino and Luna Miel - both dreadful, El Pozo - ok - nice garden but not convinced of cleanliness. The one that we return to having never had a bad meal is the big one on the corner of the old Formentor Rd - Orient Chine I think its called - the roast duck is very good.

Lala

sws97sdg 15-04-2008 09:15

We always have at least one Chinese meal when we are there, I don't see the problem with this, we never go to a Chinese restaurant in this country so it is a s much a treat as other places, if we ate it all the time here it may be different. Also Chinese is a great place for vegetarian stuff as they have more choice then other places. Haven’t had an Indian yet, always very busy, but would if we wanted a change, the trouble is as had been said before there are too many good places to eat and its always a squeeze to get everyone’s favourite in, so as you can get Indian food back home they always get pushed down the list. Anyway enough of talking about food, I missed breakfast this morning and am very hungry, oh for a nice bag of churros and a cafe solo:(

Alcanada 15-04-2008 11:00

Thanks Lala :)

I will probably give Everest a try when I'm out late in the year when the weather isn't so hot and sitting outside doesn't seem so essential!

Thanks also for the tip on Chinese restaurants. My sons are both big fans of that type of food so it is useful to know that there is a decent place to go in PP.