Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-03-2008, 11:05

Unhappy What is to become of the Port?

Does anyone share my worry about standard of restaurants emerging in the Port?

For me, eating out in PP has always been a highlight of the holiday with great choice of wonderful places to eat but now it seems that themed Tex Mex cafes serving frozen food and Chinese restaurants are taking over.

We MUST support places like O Lume, Hibiscus and Brisas Marina. If these kind of family places serving traditional food are taken over with gimmicky fast food joints then PP will completely lose its appeal.

I am gutted to hear that another Dakota Joe may be taking over Mestral's spot on the Pine Walk - what are the planning officials in PP thinking?

A very sad Lala
Sponsored Links
Old 15-03-2008, 12:50

I agree with you Lala and share your concerns. I am very saddened to hear of the possible loss of Mestral. We haven't used it so much in recent years but would have eaten there often when the children were small because of the great choice on offer, friendly helpful staff and perfect location. I've no objection to Tex Mex but surely there are already more than enough in PP??

As you say, we must try to support the traditional family restaurants but I worry whether our support will be enough to make a difference.

LK
Old 15-03-2008, 14:24

Default What is to become of the Port?

Hi Lala70w and LK1960,

I totally agree with you but they wouldn't be opening and more relevantly staying open unless it was what the public wants and the powers that be had decided that this is where they see PP's future growth. It never fails to amaze me when we walk along Pine Walk in the evening to see the Dakota restaurant full to the brim and people waiting for a table when (in my opinion) there are far better and nicer restaurants nearby half empty. I'm afraid it is a sign of the change in PP and the people it is now attracting, what they fail to realise is that the reason they love PP in the first place will slowly disappear unless the regional/local cuisine restaurants are supported. As has been quoted on this forum before there are many resorts in Mallorca with these themed (Tex Mex, Chinese, Indian etc.) restaurants swamping entire streets but hopefully this is not PP's fait. As the song goes "the public gets what the public wants" unfortunately/fortunately not all the public are of the same opinion!

Isn't it the responsibility of the local planning office, local council and mayor to determine the way PP will be viewed, perceived and shaped over the coming years? I for one hope that they share the views and desires of many of this forums members that PP will retain it's Mallorquin quaintness that has kept us and hundreds of other families returning year after year and hopefully always will.
Old 15-03-2008, 16:18

We too used to love Mestral ´and the grumpy waiters´!! Had some brilliant long lunches, on the terrace on the beach, with friends and family there over the years.

Unfortunately when we walked past this afternoon the Indian is now standing outside and it looks like they are about to open

Debs
Old 17-03-2008, 01:25

deja vou?
Old 17-03-2008, 13:33

Unhappy

Just what I was thinking! I cant go all through this again - getting depressed and uptight and planning riots etc (joke!!) We find ourselves travelling more and more inland now to find more rustic restaurants.

Did the Es Verger drive last week (maybe the first and only time - the most hair raising driving we have ever taken). The food was rustic and great. Then did the climb up to the castille - an hour and a half, and we forgot to take water up there as well, typical tourists! Great sense of achievement, but legs still hurt!!
Old 17-03-2008, 14:22

We're you in the shoes pictured Belladona?
Old 17-03-2008, 16:52

Default What is becoming of the Port

Belladona, I have to agree with you, i was very viociferous when the Tex-Mex opened at the start of the Pine Walk, couldn't believe it, and warned this would be the start of a slippery slope, well!!! Is it the same "business man" who is taking over the Mistral? The appearance of the Indian would seem to suggest this. Can't they limit the amount of establishments he is allowed to open? Let's face it he can't be accused of enhancing the port with his other restaurants/bars. We all know nothing stays the same, but is there any need for PP to go down this road, the "chips with everything road", no wonder we are on the verge of a obesity epidemic.
Old 17-03-2008, 17:26

Wink

I was also totally againist the opening of the tex mex last year in the old fishermans cottage. When I spoke with one of the councillors (for tourism if I remember rightly) he explained that the area had a commercial licence. When granting a licence to an owner/leasee they cannot ask to see the menu - the licence gives them the oportunity to open a shop or a restaurant or a bar but not what they are selling or offering the client. Where the town hall can and should clamp down is how much space on the walkway/pavement these bars take up and a restiction on the size of the fluorscent sign and noise etc. Complaints and views must be made directly in the tourist information office which is open to all - they have a questionnaire - so use this tool.
I missed the Indian at Mestral (maybe he was out hunting when I walked past!) but I did see the plane hanging from the front terrace and the menus have gone up on the walls and the new sun blinds have been installed.
Fortunatley everyones tastes are different and many of the PP.com members will be keeping away from these type of places (I have to admit to occasionally visiting the original tex mex - Nicos - along with many of the locals though) but - dare I say it - without offence, maybe it is a sign of the changing face of the pp tourist - maybe the cheap flights for 1p plus plus plus and the cheap private rentals have something to do with this??? People love a bargain but maybe the long term price is that it opens the flood gates. Hmmm - hope I have not offended anyone.
For your info - more groans - I understand this lovely man has also taken over the bar next to Hostal Bahia and if you go down to Alcudia he has a few tex mexes over there also. Also, rumour has it that one of the smaller bars next to the Fish and chip shop will be a themed bar - surf and sun or something - Australian maybe??? So where is PP -a) Mexico b) China c) Austalia - answers on a postcard please. . . .
Old 17-03-2008, 18:10

Unhappy

I really didnt want to carry on reading this threat as I just knew I wouldnt be able to resist gettiing involved! I am really upset to read all this and it almost makes me want to sell up and find something in Menorca to try and back track a few years! There was always the fear that the South would migrate to the North and it seems to be happening. But saying that, even when travelling inland you come across new builds etc that seem to be - in our eyes - blotting the landscape. I feel like a child that feels its toy is being broken.

P.S. re the shoe query!! Only half way up!!
Old 17-03-2008, 18:55

Belladonna - don't do that! We need to go and support the real food establishments to keep them open.

Must admit though - that is why we are staying in the old town this year. Last year - although we still love the Port - it had started to feel less Mallorquin...
Old 17-03-2008, 21:16

The way I look at it, Chip Shops, British Food Shops, Tex Mex bars and suchlike all cater to demands from the visiting public. Me, I go to PP to enjoy the ambiance, eat the magnificent local cuisine, cook my versions of it with the great produce available in the local markets and soak up the warmth of the town, both in terms of sun and friendliness.

I decanted to Port De Soller for a few years as I had got a bit fed up of PP, but returned a few years later slightly distraught to see a Chippy near the square, 2 Psuedo Irish Pubs, and various Indian, Chinese and other establishments. However I have now also eaten in O Lume, El Posito, La Fortalesa and suchlike and know that PP still has lots of great places to choose.

As a Dad of two growing boys (who love Mallorcan and Spanish Food generally I may add) we would struggle to get an annual fortnight to Mallorca without 'budget flights' and 'cheap apartment deals'. It does mean we spend more in Mallorcan Restaurants when we are there though.

I also think that Tex Mex are probably no cheaper than other places,although having never eaten in one in Spain I am only assuming? However many that would go would simply choose the Indian/Chinese/Pizzaria if Tex Mex wasn't available. Best of luck to them.

In summary, its a damn shame that these places are taking over some of the nicest spots in the Port, however its up to us to ensure visitors know there are far better eateries out there by keeping this 'Eating and Drinking Out in Pollensa' forum as up to date and accurate as we can.

Visca El Menjar Mallorquin!

Oh aye, before I fall off this high horse, Belladonna, I spend a week with my kids in Menorca a few years ago, the resort I stayed in did not have one Menorcan place to eat. Stick with PP.
Old 18-03-2008, 03:07

Bella dont get down its not all bad.
I dont post about PP too often and this will be my final offering on this subject (thankfully say ye ) With any luck I'll kill this thread all together with this offering LOL.
As a frequent visitor, albeit for only the past 8 years, I feel like all people here, that PP is a special place. Because we have such a love for the place we can tend to think of it as our own. But its not is it? We dont pay taxes there do we?
OK I accecpt that some people here own places there (lucky ye) and can be considered more than tourists however its still a part time home at best for most people on this site. Therefore we have to be careful not to come across as appearing to have some say in how PP developes. There are always at least 2 sides to consider.
Lets imagine that you are a native of PP maybe on limited or low income with say a 17 or 18 yr old son or daughter just left school. A son or daughter that you prefered stayed lived and worked in PP rather than popping off to the city down south. Tex Mex offers he/she a job and an opportunity to earn a wage and not to move away. As a native tax payer, how bad an idea is Tex Mex to you ?.....but we say its changing our beloved PP.....well thats not of much concern if you want a job and don't quite meet Stay's qualification requirements.
More people visit PP......more money rolls in......PP developes and grows and as all towns must and we are lucky enough to enjoy it now and again.
I am not trying to provoke here but Ive been reading the same complaints on how PP is changing for years now (since I joined) and I'd prefer to use my time & energy enjoying the place.
Enjoy PP its still beautiful. Appreciate what it has to offer, its got a hell of a lot going for it. Judging by the pace of the changes Ive seen in the past 8 years it will still hold its charms 20 years from now and we've never eaten in the Tex Mex..LOL
I often wonder what was the original reaction to places like.... Tagnos huge cheap n cheerful "spanish ?" restuarant ? ....or the fake Irish Bars ?......or all the Off Licences?.....or the Fish and Chip takeaway? ....Pollensa Club ?....or the kids Playzone ?.....the Games Arcade ?......Boneys ?.....the Chinese rest ?....the Tex Mex (we know that one)
Wouldnt a resort full only of the likes of Corb Mari...O Lumes.....Stay...be a bit dull.......have you complained recently about the new Tex Mex or McDonalds in your own home?
MMMMM maybe you are right Bella and we should just go rustic or go to Menorca!
Old 18-03-2008, 10:10

Red face

I understand what you are saying Megkill, and appreciate it has all been said before re development of the island. It does happen everywhere - and yes, the opening up of a Burger King locally was complained about, to obvious no avail, surprise, surprise! I suppose we have to roll with the punches - or get out of the ring! Personally, Ill stay in but just explore the more unused corners. End of subject for me too - again!
Old 18-03-2008, 10:50

Just to stick my oar in, 15 years ago when we started going PP was a very quiet place with only a few Spanish restaurants but it was never boring, people were always told don’t go there is you want English food and entertainment, go to Magaluf or Alcudia if you want that, which was fine. Now thanks mainly to Sky travel I fear and numerous glowing reports in the media more and more people who would have gone to Magaluf and Alcudia are now going to PP. If you tried to open a Tex Mex a few years ago it would have closed because no one would have gone into it, its supply and demand the more people now come looking for this type of food the more restaurants catering to them will open and stay open. This of cause causes more people to come because there are fish and chips and burgers on offer. I find it hard to think why the Spanish tourist authority are allowing this to happen, we keep hearing that they are trying to promote the islands exclusivity and try to encourage people who are going to spend more per visit to come to the island. The average spend per head must be going down in PP as cheaper restaurants and all inclusive seems to be taking over. We have voted with our feet and moved out of PP to else where, just far enough away but close enough to travel in and out in the evenings. I can remember lots of postings in the past saying not to tell people about the port and trying to keep PP a secret, well I am afriad we might have failed, PP will never be the same again, and if you do find somewhere else like I know a lot of you have, I wouldn’t let too many people know else it wont be long before the Aeroplane and the golden arch goes up........
Runs for cover