Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-2008, 20:58

Default What is to become of the port ?

SWS ,

Don't think we should fall into the trap that this is all down to a demand from the tourists , having observed the new Tex Mex for nearly one full season the client base is a real mixture of locals and tourists. Fraid it's all part of a greater awareness of food other than our own that we ain't gonna stop however much we don't like it. Not sayng that's any recommendation but I'm afraid that's the way it is. Even the top chefs here in the UK realise that exclusive dining isn't the way forward and people like Ramsey are moving into the chain concept. Can you believe the Chinese have moved Starbucks from the inner sanctum of the Forbidden city !!!!

With the Euro stronger than ever I'm fearful that we will see a lot of casualties this summer in the restaurant market in PP . Each to their own but I will continue to support the traditional Mallorquin restaurants that are looking to offer quality at the right price. This forum points them out in spades. People will vote with their feet . All we can do is support them with the fewer Euros available to us.

BonysLad
Sponsored Links
Old 20-03-2008, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLad View Post
SWS ,

Don't think we should fall into the trap that this is all down to a demand from the tourists , having observed the new Tex Mex for nearly one full season the client base is a real mixture of locals and tourists. Fraid it's all part of a greater awareness of food other than our own that we ain't gonna stop however much we don't like it. Not sayng that's any recommendation but I'm afraid that's the way it is. Even the top chefs here in the UK realise that exclusive dining isn't the way forward and people like Ramsey are moving into the chain concept. Can you believe the Chinese have moved Starbucks from the inner sanctum of the Forbidden city !!!!

With the Euro stronger than ever I'm fearful that we will see a lot of casualties this summer in the restaurant market in PP . Each to their own but I will continue to support the traditional Mallorquin restaurants that are looking to offer quality at the right price. This forum points them out in spades. People will vote with their feet . All we can do is support them with the fewer Euros available to us.

BonysLad

Your right about one thing. People are going to be in for a shock this year with the Euro. At the moment it stands at 1.20 to the pound and if you look at the prices being asked at the tex-mex on the front EG- 17-20 plus euros per meal it will certainly be an eye opener for a lot of folk. In fact across the board it's going to be a very different story.If you just take wine as one example you are now going to be paying the same or in some cases more than you would pay in GB. People need to be aware you are not just talking about a few bob difference here you are talking £££ssss.
Old 20-03-2008, 11:04

Default What is becoming of the port?

The fall in the pound is going to make a difference. But, a choice between the TexMex burger and chips at 17/20 Euros or the set menu in O'LUME at (probably) less, i wonder which one i'll choose
Old 21-03-2008, 13:58

Thumbs down

Excellent thoughts on the subject `Megkill´- good to see that some of us can think about both sides of the coin rather than quickly getting on our high horses and only see the negative. I would just like to re-assure you that many of the locals who I speak to are dismayed at the changes and do not like PP being too commercialsed or one person taking over too many places. My 18yr old daughter and her friends are horrified about another tex mex on the seafront as they want to keep PP special and of course they do not have much money to spend. As for giving the locals jobs - have a look at see if it is a Mallorcan (or even Spanish) waiter serving you in the fast food places - very unlikely - maybe South American??? or Eastern European. The conditions of work are not brilliant in these places - very long hours, low salary and that is why they often have the less professional staff and a forever changing staff.
I agree it is always good to have a choice of venues and tastes when on holiday but at the end of the day it can be diffiuclt for a person to find the tradiitional - a day tripper off the public bus will just find a seafront offering what is on offer everywhere else not the special typical spanish places hidden away on the backstreets. No-one has mentioned the `sandwich bar´on the roundabout infront of the bus stop/Valls Ice cream - have not walked past yet but according to my daughter everthing will be served in plastic containers??? Shall take a wander tomorrow to see what it is but another prime spot taken over by what we would prefer was not on offer here in such abundance - underneath the Chinese if you cannot place where I mean.
Prices will increase this year as everything has gone up so much - and of course the British will notice it due to the poor exchange rate but the locals are really feeling the pinch also. Anyhow, weather still fairly good and UK has snow so maybe its worth paying the extra for the sun! HAPPY EASTER.
Old 24-03-2008, 17:05

Interesting to read the comments re what is happening. We are just back from our most recent visit and noticed a "change in the air" which we couldn't quite identify.
Far too many signs on shops and apartments advertising to let and / or sale and we wondered if the developers had got too greedy and milked the PP cow too far, maybe turning to a new audience to get a return.
Our view I know but I wonder if it is shared?
Old 26-03-2008, 19:57

Thumbs down I agreee! :(

Such a shame!
Tex Mex City! Noo!!
cant belive everything's going!
Not good!!

A very very sad Sylv