Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 21:51

Default Trip Report - November/December 2021

This is my attempt to save the endangered species, that is the Trip Report, from extinction! We’ve visited the port in November/December before and the weather is often a bit “mixed”, and so it proved to be. We had two days of stunning sunshine which, with the shelter of our south facing balconies, allowed for sitting in shorts and T-shirts. Then we had thunderstorms, howling gales, torrential rain and cold snaps to contend with. Not for a moment did it detract from being in our favourite place. It was only three weeks since our last trip in October, but what a huge difference in the weather, and in the number of places open. From bustling resort to ghost town in three weeks!

When we arrived early afternoon on Friday 3rd we grabbed a Pizza and a couple of drinks at Ca Les Monges, finding the food and service as lovely as ever. In the evening we ate at Brisa Marina, always our first stop and a favourite we’ve been visiting for over 20 years. Starters of shared Baked Camembert, and mains of Lamb Chops went down very well indeed, accompanied by a nice red wine. Saturday saw us at Centric, on their penultimate night of the season, with the usual friendly welcome from Jose and Conchi. I absolutely love their Sobrasada Bunuelos, and had Sea Bass for main. My wife Jane had Croquettes followed by Turbot. It was all absolutely excellent…..I will no longer mention red wine. Take that as a given! On Sunday we went to Stay and had the set meal which was pretty good, though Jane’s soup was so creamy that it put her off the rest a bit. I love this restaurant, but can’t help noticing patchy service nowadays, I’m sure a result of staff shortages. On Monday we went to Los Faroles, which is a place I actually prefer in the winter to the summer for some reason. We shared Broken Eggs with Sobrasada, which is an epic starter and followed up with Roast Sucking Pig. This was a new addition to the menu and was absolutely fantastic, with thin crispy skin and smooth milky meat. I’ve always sworn by Zarzales and El Posito for Suckling Pig, but this was honestly right up there. Tuesday saw us taking the long walk up to C’an Josep and there we had a fabulous meal, sharing Iberico Ham as a starter and a Fillet Steak for me, and Lamb Chops for Jane. Ever friendly, ever fantastic it was a joy to see Josep and Juan. On Wednesday we went to Stay to have tapas for lunch. Great value and very nice, but again sluggish service. In the evening we had our cheapest meal of the week at 42 Euros at Portofino. This modest amount bought us Tomato Bruschetta and Vitello Tonato (Veal in Tuna Sauce, which tastes more fabulous than it sounds!) and then shared a Daviola Pizza and the house red wine. All really lovely, and a bargain. Only downside is that Portofino (like El Posito) only accept cash. On Thursday, our last night, tradition dictated a return to Brisa Marina. We shared Grilled Prawns and Croquettes, which were delicious. Jane had a very nice Salmon in Champagne Sauce while I returned to an old favourite, John Dory……the world’s ugliest good tasting fish!

All in all this was a wonderful trip. I’m afraid that the work going on in and around the main square has caused many restaurants to close, and that is going to be something to bear in mind if you’re planning a trip in December or January. There really are very few places open this year. For that reason we’ve decided to stay put until the end of February (let's hope we're allowed to travel then).

I find the locals to be far, far more sensible about Covid protections than our people in the UK. A sweeping generalisation I know, but I feel safer in PP. Border control at Liverpool Airport was a bit of a joke. We have, quite rightly, to have the correct documents to protect everyone, but then get herded up and down rows towards the Border Control desks ensuring that we are in close contact with as many people as humanly possible! I got “pinged” after our October trip, but thankfully tested negative.

I hope I’ve not bored you, and that next year we will see many, many more Trip Reports from fellow happy visitors to PP. Have a wonderful Christmas and a safe and healthy New Year.

Duncan
Sharonh, debz1, LK1960 and 18 others like this.

Last edited by Disorderly; 06-12-2021 at 23:08.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2021, 08:25

Thanks for sharing.

Is there anywhere to see pics of the work being done in the square?
Old 07-12-2021, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Is there anywhere to see pics of the work being done in the square?
Hoopy - work on the square hasn't started yet. They are currently doing the Formentor Road.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:46

Nice one Dunc, you really have managed to tick off a lot more restaurants than we ever have. We must try harder next year!
Disorderly likes this.
Old 07-12-2021, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Hoopy - work on the square hasn't started yet. They are currently doing the Formentor Road.
Thanks, must've read the report wrongly.

What are they doing on the Formentor road GG?
Old 07-12-2021, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
This is my attempt to save the endangered species, that is the Trip Report, from extinction! We’ve visited the port in November/December before and the weather is often a bit “mixed”, and so it proved to be. We had two days of stunning sunshine which, with the shelter of our south facing balconies, allowed for sitting in shorts and T-shirts. Then we had thunderstorms, howling gales, torrential rain and cold snaps to contend with. Not for a moment did it detract from being in our favourite place. It was only three weeks since our last trip in October, but what a huge difference in the weather, and in the number of places open. From bustling resort to ghost town in three weeks!

When we arrived early afternoon on Friday 3rd we grabbed a Pizza and a couple of drinks at Ca Les Monges, finding the food and service as lovely as ever. In the evening we ate at Brisa Marina, always our first stop and a favourite we’ve been visiting for over 20 years. Starters of shared Baked Camembert, and mains of Lamb Chops went down very well indeed, accompanied by a nice red wine. Saturday saw us at Centric, on their penultimate night of the season, with the usual friendly welcome from Jose and Conchi. I absolutely love their Sobrasada Bunuelos, and had Sea Bass for main. My wife Jane had Croquettes followed by Turbot. It was all absolutely excellent…..I will no longer mention red wine. Take that as a given! On Sunday we went to Stay and had the set meal which was pretty good, though Jane’s soup was so creamy that it put her off the rest a bit. I love this restaurant, but can’t help noticing patchy service nowadays, I’m sure a result of staff shortages. On Monday we went to Los Faroles, which is a place I actually prefer in the winter to the summer for some reason. We shared Broken Eggs with Sobrasada, which is an epic starter and followed up with Roast Sucking Pig. This was a new addition to the menu and was absolutely fantastic, with thin crispy skin and smooth milky meat. I’ve always sworn by Zarzales and El Posito for Suckling Pig, but this was honestly right up there. Tuesday saw us taking the long walk up to C’an Josep and there we had a fabulous meal, sharing Iberico Ham as a starter and a Fillet Steak for me, and Lamb Chops for Jane. Ever friendly, ever fantastic it was a joy to see Josep and Juan. On Wednesday we went to Stay to have tapas for lunch. Great value and very nice, but again sluggish service. In the evening we had our cheapest meal of the week at 42 Euros at Portofino. This modest amount bought us Tomato Bruschetta and Vitello Tonato (Veal in Tuna Sauce, which tastes more fabulous than it sounds!) and then shared a Daviola Pizza and the house red wine. All really lovely, and a bargain. Only downside is that Portofino (like El Posito) only accept cash. On Thursday, our last night, tradition dictated a return to Brisa Marina. We shared Grilled Prawns and Croquettes, which were delicious. Jane had a very nice Salmon in Champagne Sauce while I returned to an old favourite, John Dory……the world’s ugliest good tasting fish!

All in all this was a wonderful trip. I’m afraid that the work going on in and around the main square has caused many restaurants to close, and that is going to be something to bear in mind if you’re planning a trip in December or January. There really are very few places open this year. For that reason we’ve decided to stay put until the end of February (let's hope we're allowed to travel then).

I find the locals to be far, far more sensible about Covid protections than our people in the UK. A sweeping generalisation I know, but I feel safer in PP. Border control at Liverpool Airport was a bit of a joke. We have, quite rightly, to have the correct documents to protect everyone, but then get herded up and down rows towards the Border Control desks ensuring that we are in close contact with as many people as humanly possible! I got “pinged” after our October trip, but thankfully tested negative.

I hope I’ve not bored you, and that next year we will see many, many more Trip Reports from fellow happy visitors to PP. Have a wonderful Christmas and a safe and healthy New Year.

Duncan
Great trip report! Your food choices sound just up my street ...and I agree with you Vitelli Tonnato is fabulous! I tried it for the first time a couple of years ago at Cantonet in Pollensa and it’s been a firm favourite ever since. Stay occasionally have it on their set menu and it’s very good there too
Disorderly likes this.
Old 07-12-2021, 17:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
Thanks, must've read the report wrongly.

What are they doing on the Formentor road GG?
The council announced that work was going to start in the square and C\Formentor at the beginning of November, so some places decided to close, but they are only working on making C\Formentor more pedestrian friendly and improving the drainage system, i assume the work on the square will start when that is complete.
Old 07-12-2021, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The council announced that work was going to start in the square and C\Formentor at the beginning of November, so some places decided to close, but they are only working on making C\Formentor more pedestrian friendly and improving the drainage system, i assume the work on the square will start when that is complete.
Good news re C/F as the pavements there are tight and high.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:16

Great trip report and I love reading them . Always interesting to get a different take on places we have visited and read about new ones . Keep them coming.
Disorderly and Tangoman like this.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:46

'Vitelli Tonnato'

I'm not a tree hugging, yoghurt knitting, Vegan....... but my thoughts on Veal:

In the EU - but not the UK - veal calves are usually kept in closed barns with slatted floors, without bedding and with little or no fibre in their diet. They have a life span of less than 8 months.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
'Vitelli Tonnato'

I'm not a tree hugging, yoghurt knitting, Vegan....... but my thoughts on Veal:

In the EU - but not the UK - veal calves are usually kept in closed barns with slatted floors, without bedding and with little or no fibre in their diet. They have a life span of less than 8 months.
While i appreciate you have a right to voice your opinion i don`t think this is the place for a debate on this subject. Please let`s not spoil a great trip report with this .

Last edited by Sparky; 08-12-2021 at 12:50.
Old 08-12-2021, 15:21

fair point.....just delete it all Sparky
Disorderly and Tangoman like this.
Old 18-12-2021, 22:40

Thanks Disorderly for taking the time to write your trip report. A couple of new places in there I have not visited. Pleased that restaurants are getting business during the winter.
Old 20-05-2022, 12:46

Any idea when work in the Square will be finished (and the Market returning thereto) ?
Old 21-05-2022, 08:07

A few weeks yet, I would say.