Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree42Likes
  • 19 Post By Tangoman
  • 2 Post By icampbell15
  • 2 Post By Rockape
  • 2 Post By Disorderly
  • 5 Post By Tangoman
  • 1 Post By mike_dublin
  • 5 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 2 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 1 Post By bobley
  • 1 Post By martinchip10
  • 2 Post By scotslizzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 14:19

Default Trip Report

Just back home on Saturday 28th August from 2 weeks in Puerto Pollensa; sorry, that should read, 2 weeks in beautiful Puerto Pollensa! This must rate as the Hottest holiday we have ever been on, without a doubt.

We stayed at the Maricel Apartments instead of our original choice of the Miramar hotel, due to TUI's strict payment rules. However, we were delighted with our choice, and with the superb service of the staff there, especially Elisa who looked after our room with a smile everyday. We have already re-booked for 2022. I am still confused though about the Miramar - how does it rate so highly without an onsite swimming pool ( you have to cross a busy road to use the Maricel pool), and also does not provide evening meals. However, as I said, we were well pleased with our choice.

First, a quick review of service. We found that the level of service was not as high as in previous 30 years. Nothing terribly concerning, just a drop off in standards that we have become accustomed to over those years. However, observing what was happening it quickly became obvious to me that most restaurants were working with a lower number of staff than in previous years; not their fault! We were only too pleased that the restaurants we visited were still trading after a horrendous 18 months; sadly, many didn't make it Well done to those who did! Enough said about service.

Introductions: We were a party of 11 - myself, Sandra my wife, son Chris and daughter in law along with our 2 lovely grand daughters aged 10 and 6 years old, daughter in law's sister and partner with their 3 kids, aged 10, 11 and 13 years. We were celebrating Sandra's birthday on August 25th, and Chris's birthday on the 26th. At end of first week, 21st August, we were surprised by arrival of Sandra's sister Dorothy and her husband David.

First night we went to Osteria where I had the lobster - delicious, if a bit small, but well received none the less, Everything was well presented and well cooked; additional challenge for restaurants was the fact that one of the kids is coeliac, so Gluten Free needed. Sandra was well pleased with her chicken.

Next 2 nights we split up.. Sandra and I went to Nostalgia, where I had a Sirloin Steak and Sandra had Fish and Chips, preceded by bread, olives and aioli. Very good indeed, and wonderful value, so much so that we went back the next night for a repeat, this time I had chicken, and it was good too. Rest of party went to IRU on one night and TexMex on 2nd night, and were happy with their meals. It was sad to see that Osteria was closed on these 2 nights, along with old favourite Centric. I assumed that the restaurants are taking turns at opening and closing, in order to stay in business.

Next we went to Plaza Uno, which I had a bad experience of about 5 years ago, so I was a little wary. Wow!! What a change, Sergio has certainly turned it around. I had the Hake stuffed with Ham and Cheese, with a prawn sauce, Sliced Potatoes and veggies - beautiful. Sandra had the Chicken and Bacon, and was well pleased. Desserts were delicious, and wine was great. During this visit we were delighted to meet with Marco (Of Tango fame), and had a great chat with him. We returned there for Sandra's birthday, 13 of us, and I resisted the temptation of the Huge Ribeye, instead opting for the Japanese Cut Ribeye - never heard of it before - but brilliant choice, so much flavour, with great wine. A wonderful night enjoyed by all.

Towards the end of week one, Chris and family went to Plaza Uno also, and following Sparky's advice, he partook of the Ribeye Steak along with Steve (His brother in law), - said it was a great choice, massive, and perfectly cooked. During tis first week, market day on Wednesday was enjoyed by all of us, particularly me, as I got the chance to buy Olives for my Grand daughter Lily (She LOVES them), so we went to the stall and got a medium tub of Big Olives at around 8 Euro. So I then took her along the stall to pick another selection, and she did - yes, she picked ANOTHER tub of the big olives - knows her onions this girl!! I got my usual PP selection of olives, gherkins, peppers and pickled onions - mmmmm, delicious. Sandra and I had started the day at the coffee shop in the square, I forget the name, the one beside Nostalgia on the corner, where we were delighted to see a lovely breakfast of toast, tomatoes, 2 eggs and bacon, along with great coffee.

When Sandra's sister arrived, we went for a meal with them, just the four of us, to a restaurant near their hotel, the Romantic, The restaurant must be new, because the taxi driver didn't have a clue where it was, but we eventually arrived at La Gola. What a find!! I had a great Fillet Steak, washed down with superb Shiraz wine, lovely desserts, and a view to die for. we will be back there again, for sure. Everyone had super food, two courses ( Mains and a dessert, along with Bread, Olives etc.), wine and brandy, which was good value for 152 Euro.

We went for breakfast one morning to Pascalinos, which was great value, and their location is a great place to watch the world go by. Noted Jason and Laura Kenny, British Olympic Medal Winning cyclists, walking by. Over the years we have enjoyed having a night cap there many times, and just chilling out - nearly always see or meet someone we know.

We had another night out all together at IRU, 11 of us this time. Great food, I had the Frito Seafood - super shellfish selection, and one of the kids had the 28 Euro Fillet Steak (He is only 10 years old), and everyone had a great night. On another night back in IRU again, I consulted the 10 year old about the Fillet Steak, and he was right, it was wonderful.

On our penultimate night we, Sandra and sister and us 2 husbands, went to Salma - walked past this spot many, many times over the years, but never went in. It was fabulous, nicely cooked Suckling Pig for me, great steak for brother in law, one fish dish, and one pasta dish. Great Majorcan wine, and some lovely desserts presented in jam jars - novel but nice Finally ending with very generous glasses of Drambuie.

On the last Thursday, all 13 of us went for breakfast at the Miramar after our 9.00 a.m. appointment for out Covid19 Test, enjoyed by all to the tune of Mobile Phone ringtones, as we all were informed of negative results within about 15 minutes of taking the test. We actually had a few lunches at the Miramar, good value fare, well presented, with a good view too.

All in all, a great return to PP, if a tad warm, but everyone was very happy; bring on 2022!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2021, 16:43

Thank you for taking the time to write your trip report. It's the closest I'll get this year so good to hear how you found things.
I've missed seeing reports this year.
mike_dublin and Tangoman like this.
Old 02-09-2021, 16:58

Nice one Tangoman....I was out there pretty much for the whole of your holiday and the only restaurant we both visited was Osteria, our first time there. I was thinking of doing a report on all the places we visited, but as we rather went for it, I didn't want to look like I was showing off! (not that I am suggesting anyone else is)
Old 02-09-2021, 17:28

How lovely to read a Trip Report……an endangered species indeed! It seems you were able to easily get around the table limit for diners. When we were out in July it changed to a maximum of 4 indoors and 8 outdoors on our last night.
Old 02-09-2021, 19:37

Smile Trip Report Extra

Just a few things I missed out.

During our stay some family members (Mainly Chris) spotted the Place In The Sun team there for a few days, so stay tuned. And some of you may remember a Place In The Sun programme from a few years back when a guy bought an apartment beside The Flora, and just above Pepe's, advised by his local barmaid, well he was spotted too.

I meant to say that on our last meal out at IRU (I'm not on commission, honestly!) I felt that I could not come to PP without having a plate of Padron Peppers - excellent - but nothing ever matches those from Neptunos all those years ago.

I also forgot to mention that Chris and the gang were staying opposite Mullys bar; how fitting, staying above the original home of Tango!! And on 24th August we baby sat/child minded for them as they went to Stay, and enjoyed themselves immensely. There was a rock guitarist playing at Mullys that night, who I must say was excellent, playing covers of Van The Man, as we call him at home, The Eagles, Status Quo, and many other standout tracks. A great night's free entertainment. What a bonus!!

Anyway, home now, but travel agent has got us a great at the Maricel for next year! Tip for those wanting to book The Miramar; apparently from next year, 2022 season, all the frontal sea view rooms have been allocated to TUI. Hope this helps some of you.
Old 02-09-2021, 20:03

Brilliant trip report. Thank you for taking the time.
'Original home of Tango' has sent the thoughts here down memory lane,

Where's Salma?

For next year's trip add the majorcan brandy Suau to your list of things to try.
Tangoman likes this.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post
Just a few things I missed out.

During our stay some family members (Mainly Chris) spotted the Place In The Sun team there for a few days, so stay tuned. And some of you may remember a Place In The Sun programme from a few years back when a guy bought an apartment beside The Flora, and just above Pepe's, advised by his local barmaid, well he was spotted too.

I meant to say that on our last meal out at IRU (I'm not on commission, honestly!) I felt that I could not come to PP without having a plate of Padron Peppers - excellent - but nothing ever matches those from Neptunos all those years ago.

I also forgot to mention that Chris and the gang were staying opposite Mullys bar; how fitting, staying above the original home of Tango!! And on 24th August we baby sat/child minded for them as they went to Stay, and enjoyed themselves immensely. There was a rock guitarist playing at Mullys that night, who I must say was excellent, playing covers of Van The Man, as we call him at home, The Eagles, Status Quo, and many other standout tracks. A great night's free entertainment. What a bonus!!

Anyway, home now, but travel agent has got us a great at the Maricel for next year! Tip for those wanting to book The Miramar; apparently from next year, 2022 season, all the frontal sea view rooms have been allocated to TUI. Hope this helps some of you.
The rock guitarist would have been Guillermo from The Hustlers
Old 03-09-2021, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
Brilliant trip report. Thank you for taking the time.
'Original home of Tango' has sent the thoughts here down memory lane,

Where's Salma?

For next year's trip add the majorcan brandy Suau to your list of things to try.
Salma (or is it Sama?) is what used to be Guru. It is the same owners as Swing in Llenaire.
Sparky and mike_dublin like this.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post
... I felt that I could not come to PP without having a plate of Padron Peppers ....
We had a plate whenever we stopped for a drink... it did become a bit of a running joke... we did find a couple of hot ones over the week.
Tangoman likes this.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:47

Great trip report Tangoman. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Brings happy thoughts to me until we come out next year.
Tangoman likes this.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:46

Wonderful report and makes me wish we had managed out but the dreaded covid struck both of us and we decided to cancel at the very last minute, even although we would have been out of isolation . Too worried about testing positive to get back home.

We both love IRU as well as many others so when we come next year that will def be on the list.
MalcolmS and Tangoman like this.
Old 15-09-2021, 17:58

Thanks for a very informative trip report @Tangoman. Where is La Gola - Google just threw up a nature reserve. :-)

Malcolm

Links